winter fuel payment ??

Jamboat

Featured Posts

Apologies if this question has already been answered but I've done a search & come up with zilch.

We have been living aboard now for 3 months ( & love it!)

Currently on a residential mooring as partner is still working but hope to become CC's in a couple of years. We use daughters address as 'postal address'.

I will be bus pass age in 2010 :lol: - does anyone in similar situation manage to claim winter fuel payment ?

Julia

Apologies if this question has already been answered but I've done a search & come up with zilch.

We have been living aboard now for 3 months ( & love it!)

Currently on a residential mooring as partner is still working but hope to become CC's in a couple of years. We use daughters address as 'postal address'.

I will be bus pass age in 2010 :lol: - does anyone in similar situation manage to claim winter fuel payment ?

Julia

i think it depends if you are on the electoral roll at your daughter's address. if you are and are of pensionable age you are entitled. unless maybe someone else is claiming it at the same address?

i think it depends if you are on the electoral roll at your daughter's address. if you are and are of pensionable age you are entitled. unless maybe someone else is claiming it at the same address?

No, we are not on the electoral roll, shall maybe have to look into it

No, we are not on the electoral roll, shall maybe have to look into it

You might have the same trouble in getting your bus pass! Our local council would need to see "proof of permanent residence" in the area.

An OAP CC-ing couple I knew at Cowroast last year said they'd be getting it. Never really asked the for details, but I got the impression that their pension et al was all registered at their eldest sons.

It's currently paid automatically, it's linked into DWP records, only qualifying condition at your age is your age on a certain Monday in September (3rd I think). They used to compare with the State Retirement Pension records.

If you're a lady then the payment may be later as they're starting to move the retirement age up from 2010, it gets complicated and I'd have to look it up. If you're bothered this early the mail me... danmanville AT fmail dot co.uk.

The Pensions Service have a mandate to be more helpful than most DWP staff so it might be worth ringing them on 0845 60 60 265.

I've only ever seen two complications since they introduced them, one where person in question turned 60 within a few days of the magic Monday and didn't claim their SRP soon enough, and the other one where a friend of mine found out that someone had reported him as dead and was claiming bereavement benefits for him. I'd have loved to go to the appeal tribunal on that one and really pushed to get it there but PS saw sense (shame!)

I do think there's a residence condition; either "ordinarily resident" i.e. 26 out of the last 52 weeks (edit: in UK), or "normally resident", i.e. here (edit: in UK) and not maintainng a principle residence elsewhere, so people in Spain were probably using a UK correspondence address (and on the blag to get their annual increase that they wouldn't otherwise have got) , but I shouldn't be too worried; past 60 the ethos is pay first and check later. Should Mr Cameron get in I imagine theyll get less generous, but they won't have time to do it before you qualify.

Edit: they don't currently check where you're living unless you've come here recently unless it's a new claim for all benefits, if they're paying already they'll just pay; if you're that curious they've just published a new circular on checking the residence tests; search the DWP website for "residence".

Edited by Smelly

Thanks all for replies, a bit clearer now & I do have a couple of years to go yet, I do know what you mean about the move towards women not getting pension till 65 smelly - as I was born 1950 I just get in for drawing state pension at 60 :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks all for replies, a bit clearer now & I do have a couple of years to go yet, I do know what you mean about the move towards women not getting pension till 65 smelly - as I was born 1950 I just get in for drawing state pension at 60 :lol:

You're currently entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment from age 60, NOT from state pension age :lol: But you have to claim it if you're not getting a pension :lol: It comes automatically with the state pension :lol:

See here

Pete

If you are not 60 before the 30th March then you will not get it this year.

It's better than that! See here for the whole story.

"Do I qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment?

You should qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment for the winter of 2008/09 if, during the qualifying week of 15-21 September 2008, you were:

* aged 60 or over and

* normally living in Great Britain or Northern Ireland

Payments may continue if you leave or have left the United Kingdom and are living in another EEA country." [see here]

"If you need to make a claim for a payment for winter 2008/09, you should return your claim form on or before 30 March 2009"

:lol: Pete