Overstaying on 48 Hr Moorings - by 23 days !!!

Grumpy Bear

Featured Posts

Try adjusting your screen brightness/contrast levels or see an optician

Decided not to post, as it may be taken the wrong way and did not want to upset Martin

No, you won't upset me because I know:

1) that I am not alone in finding white text on black to be a strain on my eyes.

2) that not everyone's eyes are like mine and some people like white text on black.

If someone likes the look of white text on a black background and wants to have it on their blog or website, then that is fine. It's their site so it is up to them what they choose. Sadly, I won't spend much time looking at the site, though, for the sake of my poor old eyes!

Thanks for changing it, Petronius. It is much easier now on my eyes, at least!

I tried to make an appointment with an optician, Bottle, but he said he couldn't see me. :lol:

Sorry Sue but, once you have cleared your overstay with the relevant enforcing authority, it is nobody else's business, therefore a "pass" to put in the window serves no useful purpose.

I say it does. The purpose is to indicate to other boaters etc. that the boat has good reason for "over staying" and that the authorities are aware of the situation.

It is my opinion that the cause of such ire about overstayers, continuous moorers and mooring permit/license evaders is the fact that no one will communicate what is happening to the majority of boaters who try to play by the rules.

I strongly suspect, however, that if a scheme of notices affixed to apparently delinquent craft was brought in we would still find BW are doing far less than they imply they are to solve such issues.

Tony,

I don't disagree with what you are saying as a general good idea.

However I repeat, yet again, that in this case the presence of such a notice would have made no difference to the debate in this thread.

Somebody picked up on the fact that the boat owner had posted on a blog that they were overstaying, (and not, in the same post, why they were overstaying - you had to read on som pages down to find that).

Somebody then fastened onto that blog, and the debate began.

At no point did anyone involved in the debate actually take a look at the boat, (other than it's owner of course!).

I'll admit this is an unusual case, but a sticker in the window would not have changed it, I feel.

so is it actually perfectly reasonable to expect other people to suffer, from lack of mooring space, from your own misfortune or lack of correct maintenance? surely if you have a breakdown which prevents your boat from moving you get the boat towed to somewhere which will not cause problems for others who wish to use the facilities provided. 24 hour or 48 hour moorings are generally there for a reason, and usually have things like rings to make it convenient for people who want to stop, do the shopping then leave. 3 hour moorings in popular spots is the way to go but nobody wants to enforce so its pointless.

I say it does. The purpose is to indicate busibodies that the boat has good reason for "over staying" and that the authorities are aware of the situation.

It is my opinion that the cause of such ire about overstayers, continuous moorers and mooring permit/license evaders is the fact that no one will communicate what is happening to the majority of boaters who try to play by the rules.

None of their business

Sue.

Congratulations in getting on the move once again.

Mike C.

Well done to you matey, you might have started this thread in error, but it seems you have a pair. Looks like Grumpy Bear ain't quite so grumpy after all :lol:

And Lastly

To David Mercer

David, I hope whatever is causing your stress passes soon. I recommend boating on a blustery day.

And as for an "overstaying pass" NO! it will give the likes of Victor just one more thing to be on the lookout for. It seems to me that it's be just another excuse for people not to communicate with each other, next time you see an overstayer, say "Hi" strike up a conversation, and see if you can find out why. even if they don't have a really good excuse like Sue, they might just be nice people.

BW used to provide notices that said 'moored with BW permission'. We had one when we paid to stay at Aldermaston one Christmas. I was offered a mooring in the basin, which I turned down as the mooring time was then 30 mins.

Sue

Whilst it may have been boaters, surely it is at least equally likely that it was not.

"Red" is becoming a very valuable commodity, not just on the cut, but elsewhere, and an unattended boat may just be one of the easier places to stael it from.

A huge amount of "red" sold from our marina is driven away in cans and containers, and much of it probably never goes near a boat.

Apologies you're quite right, I've jumped to a conclusion: it's not known at this time who, how or when NP's fuel was stolen, had read elsewhere of an outbreak of boat diesel thefts in this area and sighting of a boat moored to a boat during the day it too lost its diesel. Was also thinking in terms of logistics of carrying away 120 litres taken in a single theft favouring a boat to boat transfer, whereas it could conceivably have been taken by the jerrycan on a daily basis and carried away by hand ..........Hope they are caught soon the b'******s!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

To wrap this episode up.

David Mercer replied to my email.

It is this Duck's impression that David Mercer is a thoroughly good egg, who has great taste in boats. I'm actually hoping to stay in touch, as he seems to have a real genuine love for the Great Ouse, boats, and for GOBA. :lol:

Oh, and he denies gold braid :lol: