Overstaying on 48 Hr Moorings - by 23 days !!!

Grumpy Bear

Featured Posts

Did he like ice hockey then?

'Jesus of Montreal' is an award winning French-Canadian film. Its about actors who are doing a play about Christ, and the actors find soon themselves re-living the passion all over again in a modern day context

'Jesus of Montreal' is an award winning French-Canadian film. Its about actors who are doing a play about Christ, and the actors find soon themselves re-living the passion all over again in a modern day context

Fender is Mark Lawson.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Grumpy Bear there is Mike Costello, Vice Chair and Treasurer of GOBA.

Mike, if you are Mike C, having stated publicly that your sympathies are with No Problem's crew, are you / can you do anything to pull David Mercer's head in? And maybe an apology .....

Fuzzyduck

That is indeed me, guilty as charged, although I did not post in a "GOBA" capacity.

My initial posting was intended to seek answers from predominently narrowboaters on an issue which I had been asked about and I apologise if my sub heading "taking the biscuit?" was OTT, but I did suggest in my post that, in general, overstaying does the cause of CC NBers no good. I posted because I do enjoy reading the lively debates on this forum, although I do not accord with personal abuse, and knew a representative view would emerge.

The fact is, that on the Great Ouse system there is an unfortunate dislike and prejudice against NBs, particularly CCers. This is most certainly not the position of GOBA although it is the stance of many GOBA members - of which there are some 3000. Overall, there is a lack of moorings on the system, which gets far worse as you proceed beyond Ely in the Cambridge/Bedford directions. I asked in my post "What do you think".

Well, ignoring the personal insults I have got the answer. You generally think there is no problem with NB No Problem being on the mooring, and I note that this is the opinion of several GOBA members who have posted on this website and the GOBA forum. There is a lot of sympathy for Sue on No Problem and I can see why - particularly following the theft of diesel which is extremely unpleasant - and worrying because it might have taken place on a very public mooring with the owners onboard or in the near vicinity - although, as Sue says somewhere between Oundle and Ely seems more likely.

Looking from others perspective, this particular 48 hour visitor mooring is in a key position in Ely, popular, and this is a busy time. The initial blog, whether intended or not, could be read as saying - look, there is no problem overstaying in Ely, nobody bothers to check (and I know Sue did not mean it in that way) - when in reality overstaying is a big problem in Ely, and a lot of people get very emotional about it. Also, it has been said, since the mooring is adjacent to a boat yard with workshop facilities, and immediately opposite a NB friendly marina with vacant moorings and workshop facilities - after 23 days, could not the boat have been moved to what some consider a more appropriate mooring - and vacating the visitor mooring. (Yes, I know Bridge Boat Yard are doing the work) There is also a view that the owner should have approached the EA, who are a phone call away, with their predicament rather than wait for the EA to come to them. Then it would have been obvious to all what the problem was.

So, two sides to the argument, and I am sorry that Sue has been upset by the level of response to her plight. Boating should be enjoyable, that is why we do it after all. I will be in Ely tomorrow at the Aquafest on the GOBA stand. I am the one with tin helmet and flak jacket, and look forward to meeting everyone. Unfortunately, Grumpy Bear is stuck in the weed at Bedford.

:lol: On the subject of getting involved with EA moorings mentioned in a posting above. One view is that it is purely up to the landowner to decide their mooring policy and "police" it. To a degree that is true, particularly with privately owned land, but if we did not seek to influence that policy and the policing of it there would, for example, be no visitor moorings in Cambridge at all. You will recall the issue a couple of years ago when Cambridge City Council suspended all visitor moorings and banned visiting boats. New topic maybe but should GOBA have got involved in that campaign or not? You will recall that the Council backed down when it was clear that our declaration to take them to the High Court was not a bluff.

Regards

Mike

Mike

Thank you for your reply, and good luck with Aquafest.

I agree overstaying does CCers no credit whatsoever, but this does not appear to be the case with this boat, And I see we are half way in agreement here. You have some good suggestions, for a way to alleviate the problem, but this is no longer the point. Maybe an offer to tow the boat to a more suitable mooring, With the promise to tow it back when the repaired box arrived who knows...

I can tell you are not the sort of person to write this kind of email.

Dear Mrs C

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed to find a GOBA member blatantly bragging about abuse of the scarce 48-hour moorings and seemingly appearing to encourage others to do likewise. It is this sort of behaviour that engenders some of the adverse but often unjustified comments GOBA receives frequently about narrowboats in general. Our code of behaviour on this river requires everyone to play their part in making moorings fairly available for all.

I hope you will have the decency to move for this weekend’s Ely Riverfest when moorings will be in exceptional demand, or at the very least to openly encourage other boats to raft alongside.

Please don’t even consider attempting this sort of abuse of the rules on a GOBA mooring.

David Mercer

The Great Ouse Boating Association ………… celebrating our 50th Anniversary in 2008

‘Navigating the Future’ for over 3,000 boaters on the river Great Ouse and associated waterways.

david.mercer@goba.org.uk www.goba.org.uk

But it looks to have been written in an official GOBA capacity, and this does not put your organisation in a very good light, considering the circumstances. If this had been a club I was the vice chair in, the minute I heard about the fuel theft on top of 2 gearbox failures, I'd have been down on that mooring with a bottle of wine to cheer my members up, instead the above email was sent. The heartlessness is breath taking.

Edited to say

I know how the politics of organisations such as this work, I help run one, so I'm not expecting you to reply, but maybe a quiet word in someone's ear, and a quiet off the record apology to Sue ... Hell Sainsburys is selling booze for another 2 hours yet...

Edited by fuzzyduck

Mike

Thank you for your reply, and good luck with Aquafest.

I agree overstaying does CCers no credit whatsoever, but this does not appear to be the case with this boat, And I see we are half way in agreement here. You have some good suggestions, for a way to alleviate the problem, but this is no longer the point. Maybe an offer to tow the boat to a more suitable mooring, With the promise to tow it back when the repaired box arrived who knows...

I can tell you are not the sort of person to write this kind of email.

But it looks to have been written in an official GOBA capacity, and this does not put your organisation in a very good light, considering the circumstances. If this had been a club I was the vice chair in, the minute I heard about the fuel theft on top of 2 gearbox failures, I'd have been down on that mooring with a bottle of wine to cheer my members up, instead the above email was sent. The heartlessness is breath taking.

I agree 100% with fuzzy. I also think David Mercer needs to send a written apology to Sue.

No Problem is on the move again.

NOT moored at Ely, River Great Ouse!!

Hoooray, all fixed all done... no leaks, no groans except from me when I parted with £217.00 for a tank of diesel ... I didn't wait for a bill from the Boatyard, they will send that on for me, and I couldn't wait to open the throttle and cruise along the Ely waterfront. It seemed strange actually, because I have been walking along there for the last 24.. errrrn, for quite a while now with Lucy and Meg on their daily walks...

http://www.choiceforum.co.uk/blog/noproblem.html

Edited by fuzzyduck

And he must wear his blue blazer and peaked cap with gold braid when he writes it.

The Daily Mail Flotilla...........I like that image LOL!

Mildly shocked however by boaters thieving from fellow boaters, stealing all "No Problem"'s diesel.

Don't like that image, shame on the perpetrators' heads!

No more Problems for Sue and Vic I hope.......

I regularly read the NP blog, it's a joy but the Daily Mail is IMHO at best used for cleaning the windows and lighting the fire - such a lot of it.

Neil

Mildly shocked however by boaters thieving from fellow boaters, stealing all "No Problem"'s diesel.

Don't like that image, shame on the perpetrators' heads!

Whilst it may have been boaters, surely it is at least equally likely that it was not.

"Red" is becoming a very valuable commodity, not just on the cut, but elsewhere, and an unattended boat may just be one of the easier places to stael it from.

A huge amount of "red" sold from our marina is driven away in cans and containers, and much of it probably never goes near a boat.

A public, written apology is what's required, from both DM and MC. It's time for change at GOBA, and we're going to see that it happens: http://www.goba2020.blogspot.com . You'll find our manifesto for change here. Anyone with a interest on boating on the Eastern Rivers is welcome to contribute to the debate. We'll be presenting the results of this consultation at the GOBA Annual General Meeting later this year - Petronius.

I am overwealmed and gobsmacked by all the posts of support in this thread, and I just want to thank you all for what you have said. GOBA made a mistake, they have admitted that..

Mike Costello, the Vice Chairman of GOBA admits that the email sent to me by David Mercer was very much OTT and should not have been sent. He has apologised to me on behalf of GOBA. He said he was not aware that David Mercer had sent the email. David Mercer has personal reasons (I will respect his privicy here) and is under some stress at the moment which I have accepted. I am not expecting a personal apology from David.

Reading through some of the posts here I do agree with the poster who suggested that boats that are proven to be broken down or the owners have personal sickness or some other reason for overstaying should be given a 'pass' to stick to the window. Then perhaps this very upsetting incident this weekend wouldn't happen again.

It turns out that the Environment Agency, although owns the land where No Problem was moored in Ely, does not have the power to 'police' the mooring.. that is down to the council.. and we told them on day 3 that we were stuck. The lady said that she would inform the council offices that we were unable to move and would be staying there until we could. So that is why EA didn't question our presence!

Having said that, the EA patrol boat came past about every other day, so they were aware we were there for sure.

Once again, thanks to you all for your kind comments.

Sue

david mercer sounds like a right jobs worth to me !these people were in trouble and elderly

whats wrong with this country ! we would rather stress oaps in trouble than upset a few simple rules thy obviously obey for the most part !

these people were obvious cc and stuck this guy Mercer should resign...

sorry but what the f...

Edited by Lingy

Sue - am really pleased you finally got an apology form GOBA. Unfortuantely, in all walks of life there are people who cannot see past the "Rule Book" and personal issues aside I suspect David Mercer is one of these.

Anyway, just to say I have enjoyed reading your blog - love the photos. We're venturing out onto the GO and Cam at the end of July with a boat from Fox called "Friendly Fox". Will keep an eye open for you. Will keep the beers chilled............. :lol:

Small white text on a black background - ouch! My eyes are still hurting from trying to read it!

Try adjusting your screen brightness/contrast levels or see an optician

Decided not to post, as it may be taken the wrong way and did not want to upset Martin

He said he was not aware that David Mercer had sent the email. David Mercer has personal reasons (I will respect his privicy here) and is under some stress at the moment which I have accepted. I am not expecting a personal apology from David.[/i]

I do hope our collective reaction contributed to his stress. I don't see why he can't apologise. he might find the stress is eased a bit by being "nice to people". (Sorry..old Anglo-saxon phrase, look it up)

Well it hasnt been a nice experiencee for Sue and Vic on No Problem , but reading between the lines , just maybe there is going to be a huge shake up in G O B A and this unfortunate incident , will build bridges between , all of us. Not that we have any axes to grind . In fact since we left the canals , we have been made nothing but welcome, by all.

A public, written apology is what's required, from both DM and MC. It's time for change at GOBA, and we're going to see that it happens: http://www.goba2020.blogspot.com . You'll find our manifesto for change here. Anyone with a interest on boating on the Eastern Rivers is welcome to contribute to the debate. We'll be presenting the results of this consultation at the GOBA Annual General Meeting later this year - Petronius.

Good luck Petronius. The blog is a good start :lol:

Reading through some of the posts here I do agree with the poster who suggested that boats that are proven to be broken down or the owners have personal sickness or some other reason for overstaying should be given a 'pass' to stick to the window.

Sorry Sue but, once you have cleared your overstay with the relevant enforcing authority, it is nobody else's business, therefore a "pass" to put in the window serves no useful purpose.