Overstaying on 48 Hr Moorings - by 23 days !!!

Grumpy Bear

Featured Posts

Let GOBA know what you think. david.mercer@goba.org.uk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear David

Having read your email to the crew of narrowboat "No Problem" I have the following questions to ask.

1. Did you know their gearbox had failed?

2. Is your attitude indicative of GOBAs attitude to boats in distress?

3. Rather than being so officious, isn't there something GOBA could be doing to help one of their members?

If you'd actually read their blog with an open mind, you'd see that N.B No Problem and its crew is actually an example to other continuous cruisers, and not the usual bunch of habitual overstayers.

I am a cruiser owner, and find the fact that 1 70 foot coffin can take up a entire visitors mooring extremely frustrating at times, but on this occasion these are fellow boaters with a problem, and your attitude stinks.

you might be interested in the following forum topic http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15771 where your stock is dropping.

Regards

Alan Law

Edited by fuzzyduck

And did you see the email from David Mercer to Sue of "No Problem", on Sue's blog.

A perfect example of how to come across like a sanctimonious pillock.

Yes indeed, I read Sue's blog throughly and cafefully before passing any judgement.

That David should have been a member of COBRA instead

(Can Only Be Really Awful)

Edited by fender

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Grumpy Bear there is Mike Costello, Vice Chair and Treasurer of GOBA.

Mike, if you are Mike C, having stated publicly that your sympathies are with No Problem's crew, are you / can you do anything to pull David Mercer's head in? And maybe an apology .....

Poor "NO Problem". I hope all issues are resolved soon. It must be so frustrating to be stuck - and then on top of it all, galling to be slagged off for a problem not of your own making. Perhaps a large notice in the window saying "HERE BECAUSE OF MECHANICAL FAILURE" would silence critics?

And - is there a locking cap available for diesel tanks? If so - I want one!

Stickleback

David Mercer is acting like typical bully i.e. someone who picks on people who are not able to do anything about their predicament.

Natural justice would be for his car to break down outside some neanderthals house, get a load of abuse for being there, his fuel tank syphoned and wheels stolen.

If it is of any use to help this stranded boat revert back from 'big problem' to 'No Problem', I know that Cathedral Marina (just opposite the Aquafest site and pocket park in Ely), has some spare moorings and Jeremy (the manager) there does take boats on a weekly basis. I'm happy to (try!) and tow you round there. He can be contacted on email: info@cathedralmarina.co.uk Tel: 01353 664622.

Cheers, Gordon in Ely

I had a read through the lady's blog and her circumstances appear to be somewhat different to those of the, for example, 'doctors' and the Patio Set in the parallel thread.

I think she makes a good point about expecting a 'what's going on?' visit from the EA and not getting one.

I'd cut her a bit of slack on this one. I'd be deeply p****d off too to have to have the gearbox out twice, especially as it seems that it's to travel some distance for repair.

I was a bit surprised that the manner and delivery of the GOBA guy didn't moderate a bit after hearing what read to me like a reasonable explanation. If the poor chap was that aerated by the episode, he'd be the last person I'd want to accept a tow from!

Perhaps a large notice in the window saying "HERE BECAUSE OF MECHANICAL FAILURE" would silence critics?

Stickleback

I've every sympathy in this particular case, but don't you think we might see these signs cropping up all over the system?

Or similar: "HERE BECAUSE OF MARRIAGE FAILURE"

And for Bones: "DOCTOR ON CALL"

As Jesus said.....

Cool. Does the Son of God have a trad or a semi-trad? If he's getting involved up in Ely, it might well be something "big, white and with depth finder".

And I know that He does travel the canals, because the number of times I have overheard people at locks speaking to him.....

Edited by stort_mark

I've every sympathy in this particular case, but don't you think we might see these signs cropping up all over the system?

We already have surely.

At least two boats around my locality have prominent notices saying they are broken down, (and have had for several months....). One still moves though - just not very far.

I'm not doubting for a moment No Problem's predicament, but I can't see they would be helped by such a notice.

Anyway, what caused the original complaint here was not the sighting of an overstaying boat, but rather that the overstaying boat decided to point the fact out on it's own web-site. A notice therefore would not have changed anything, because nobody has actually taken a look at the boat.

Trying to take a balanced view, I've read what No Problem posted, and can see that, if read in isolation, and if you didn't go further down the blog to find out about the gearbox, it could be misinterpreted. Probably if the "overstaying" post had repeated the broken gearbox information, we would not be having this debate ?

Trying to take a balanced view, I've read what No Problem posted, and can see that, if read in isolation, and if you didn't go further down the blog to find out about the gearbox, it could be misinterpreted. Probably if the "overstaying" post had repeated the broken gearbox information, we would not be having this debate ?

It took 3 lines of the blog post for me to realise something wasn't quite normal.

Well here we are on day 23 of our lengthy stay in Ely. I can't believe that we have been here so long, and I even had to go look on the blog just to check!

Never before have we been stopped in one place for so long, I really am getting quite anxious. Just not used to not moving after 7 years living aboard as a continuous cruiser..

I suspect someone had a bit of a kneejerk, and persuaded anyone who is prepared to sit in judgement without having all the facts that there was a high crime going on.

Cool. Does the Son of God have a trad or a semi-trad? If he's getting involved up in Ely, it might well be something "big, white and with depth finder".

When Jesus was on the cross, he cried out:

"Eli Eli lema sabachthani"

which very roughly translates as something like:

"On the whole, I think I'd rather be in Ely".

So it is quite feasible then that the Messiah is living in Cambridgeshire? if so, it would be quite a scoop for the local newspaper, perhaps even a front page story.

I'm loving some of the comments on the blog

David Mercer could do with some training in EFFECTIVE communication skills. Aggressive and poorly informed in his opening 'salvo'is not a good starting point for dealing with anyone. I would think that GOBA should perhaps review the skills and qualities of who they allow to represent them; David Mercer is certainly NOT an appropriate candidate for this role.

Come on GOBA, find an officer that has the correct set of skills before letting them loose on the public.

NB. Caxton

Lesley K | Homepage | July 5, 2008, 7:12 am | #

Gravatar Sue

Please hang on in there, at no time did you do any of the things accused of.

I read it in the way intentioned, you were only immobile owing to a breakdown and at no time implied that others should abuse the visiting/staying times.

I believe that the EA control the waters you are on, not GOBA and as for David Mercer, what an aggressive person he is.

As you are a member of GOBA, his first step should have been to help not berate.

Perhaps he needs to do a bit of research in the future before he lets go in a tirade such as this.

All the best wishes.

bottle (canalworld) | July 5, 2008, 8:14 am | #

Gravatar Perhaps Mr. M. is trying to suggest that you might arrange a tow into Ely marina? I don't think that's unreasonable, but I totally agree with the previous commentators - his approach is all wrong and quite indefensible. I hope that your bad luck with the gearbox ends soonest!

Martin | July 5, 2008, 8:55 am | #

Gravatar Sorry Sue, I've been reading the blog upside down. Remember - it's always darkest before the dawn

Martin | July 5, 2008, 9:05 am | #

Gravatar Hi Sue and Vic

This is getting ridiculous, I'm glad we decided to give Goba a miss while we were there if this is how they behave, obvious he has a problem with narrowboats anyone.

Chin up and congrats for publishing.

Love Dot

Dot and Derek | Homepage | July 5, 2008, 10:18 am | #

Gravatar Sue and Vic

Sorry to hear of your on-going problems. Be assured that all your regular readers are 100% supportive of you in the face of the ill-informed criticism you are currently receiving.

best regards

david b

bullfrog | July 5, 2008, 10:34 am | #

Gravatar Hi Sue

I am incensed by the GOBA handling of this. Not indeed least because it none of his/ their business as far as I can see. Why the hell is that correspondent taking it upon himself to Police another organisations mooring anyway. I think that's the hight of arrogance on his (hopefully not the whole of GOBA's)part.

The mooring owners are clearly understanding of the reasons you are there.

GOBA should really get their own house in order first with the over stay of a wreck at the Lazy Otter!!!

I for one will be writing to him via the GOBA forum as a fellow member.

If you are reading this David Mercer I think you lack a full understanding of the problem, read the FULL blog history and then you will see a little sympathy would be in order right after your apology.

If this is your personal opinion David Mercer then fine, I uphold your right to voice your unjust opinions. However as a fellow GOBA member I wish you hadn't implicate the organisation in your comments, especially without taking some sort of ballot of members about their feelings on the matter.

Kevin

Kevin | July 5, 2008, 10:45 am | #

Or similar: "HERE BECAUSE OF MARRIAGE FAILURE"

And for Bones: "DOCTOR ON CALL"

I think you have hit the nail on the head. While there are few boaters openly ignoring regulations it is easy to live and let live, but when many law (rule) abiding boaters are finding times increasingly hard and the apparent abuse of the system is so rampant it becomes more and more difficult not to get upset - especially when the relevant authorities seem to be condoning the situation.

Please note the words "apparent" and "seem".

Having just cruised from Calcutt to Reading it is clear this is both a BW and EA problem.

Whilst I think we all would have very sympathy with boaters who have a genuine reason for overstaying and ignoring license and permit regulations it is stretching the bounds of credibility to think every example is genuine.

The "No Problem" issue could have been avoided if the EA had promptly provided a window sticker with some kind of "forge proof" symbol indicating they were aware and indicating the reason.

Both BW & the EA need to provide better communication with their responsible customers. If need be they will have to get some form of legislation. We are told the many of the boats failing to display a current license are, in fact, licensed. Well so be it, let the patrol officer or whoever stick a notice on both sides of the boat to that effect and making failing to display such a notice either a criminal offence or make the penalty removal of the boat from the waterway. People with genuine reasons for not complying with the regulations should be happy with this because it removes a problem from them.

I find it unacceptable that I and other boaters are being taxed (over and above the population at large) because social services/the benefit system find it expedient to collude with people who ignore the regulations. If this was not so BW would not be saying they have problems if licenses are paid by benefit instalments or if the boat in question is the persons home.

It also looks very much as if BW are colluding with land owners and boaters to introduce more and more online moorings, some even involving digging into the canal with no evidence that adequate lining took place. Who will be getting the problems from water loss and how much did BW get for allowing such development? I think boaters have the right to know.

The on-going annoyance of cruising boaters (both continuous and others) is not helped when one finds visitor moorings so overgrown as to be virtually unusable whilst apparently un-let permanent moorings and "conservation areas" are well maintained.

It may seem to be off topic and a rant, but the whole system of regulation is getting to the point where apparent abuse is so rife it is natural to lump everyone together without knowing the individual situations. If/when I downsize my house I will think very carefully about telling BW. The evidence is that it would take years of BSS, insurance and license free boating before any effective action would be taken against me.

Oh Dear Oh Dear

Notwithstanding any of the above, my sympathies are now entirely with Sue on NB Problem. It seems today that at some time their whole diesel fuel load was stolen from the boat.

Just Posted on the Camboaters website: clicky

That is just unspeakable. How can it happen on a very public mooring on the Ely waterfront>

Regards

Mike

May not have happen in Ely

Fuel being stolen is a problem in Fens. I lost a tankfull just after christmas :lol: , I had left the boat on the town moorings on the Library side under the trees, when I was called back to the office. returned three hours later. Noticed the the top of the rudder was showing out of water (Top of the Rudder is only above water when less than a 1/4 tank is left), Dipped the tank, less than a inch. A all blue boat (40ft), No name or number was seen moored stern to stern (fender to fender). The owner is well known by local boaters as a trouble maker and is banned from local marinas. At the present time someones tank is being emptyed about every 5 to 6 weeks.

As to how it can happen?. Someone passing by may not see anything out of place if what looks like rope is infact a hose linking tank to tank.

At the last London show, there was product on show, which looked just like a hose which was placed 1st in one tank and the other end in the other. With out having to suck.

Firesprite

Edited by nbfiresprite

More .... Looks like a GOBA Footbullet to me

Gravatar Hang in there, Sue!

There's not much I can add to the above comments; we agree with them all. Except to applaud your courage in being prepared to publish both DM's and your emails for public scrutiny. I guess there may be a few GOBA members with AOB at the next AGM?

I hope you get sorted soon, and this doesn't put you off what I know is one of your favourite rivers.

Geoff and Mags

Geoff | Homepage | July 5, 2008, 11:50 am | #

Gravatar A small clique of nasty small minded, little englanders have got control of GOBA, and seek to rule this river as if it is their own personal fiefdom. Woe betide anyone that doesn't meet their criteria for acceptabiliy. They are the Daily Mail afloat and it's time they were brought to heal.

A River Rat | July 5, 2008, 11:59 am | #

Gravatar GOBA officers should beware of usurping the EA or the Council's powers. It is against the law. Also GOBA is subject to numerous statutory rules relating to its conduct [via charity and provident society law], give 'em enough rope... They're their own worst enemy and it's only a matter of time before they slip up. "Pride goeth befor a fall"

Bert and Brenda B. | July 5, 2008, 12:13 pm | #

Gravatar As a GOBA member I'm disgusted at the content and tone of Mercer's letter. He doesn't speak for me or the silent majority of GOBA members.

A GOBA Member | July 5, 2008, 12:23 pm | #

Oh my , how lucky are we heading for the Bedford River Festival. Having said that, there are some genuinely nice people in Goba , they arent all tosspots. I know we were going to join , but after reading this thread , wont be bothering. How can this man be so thick and uncaring. 2 years ago we had so many people come to us and say how great it was to have so many narrow boats there. In fact they say it every time. Shall we all get together in 2 years time and every narrowboat we can get descend on Bedford River festival . Bet he really would be a grumpy bear then. Just to make his day I have booked a few more narrowboats this time as well. I know he loves them.

Edited by calamity507

I think Jesus would have preferred Montreal!

...and did those feet

In ancient times

Moor up in Ely's GOBA space?

And was David Mercer then

With the messiah quite irate?

The "No Problem" issue could have been avoided if the EA had promptly provided a window sticker with some kind of "forge proof" symbol indicating they were aware and indicating the reason.

As a general way of dealing with genuine breakdowns, or other exceptional circumstances, this is a good idea, and could be adopted by BW as well as EA.

However, in this particular case, I can't see how it would have helped, as this boat has not been "snitched up" for overstaying.

In this case the owners of the boat have published their overstaying on a publicly accessible web-site, and that's what's been picked up upon, in the first instance. Loads of other web-sites link to it, so it is inevitably going to get read by quite a few people.

Had they not done so, it would probably have attracted no attention - precisely the point the owner was trying to make in the blog, of course. :lol:

It's a funny old world! I sympathise with No Problem's plight, like everybody else, but in pre-Internet days this debate could not have occurred.