Overstaying on 48 Hr Moorings - by 23 days !!!

Grumpy Bear

Featured Posts

Here is a blog entry from a narrowboater bragging about overstaying on a 48hr mooring at Ely for 23 days!!! In peak season on a popular mooring. This really does the cause of CC NBers no good at all.

What do you think?

Clicky

Regards

Mike

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Here is a blog entry from a narrowboater bragging about overstaying on a 48hr mooring at Ely for 23 days!!! In peak season on a popular mooring. This really does the cause of CC NBers no good at all.

What do you think?

Clicky

Regards

Mike

Pretty normal on the Calder & Hebble, that's where to go if you want a bit off Continuous Mooring.! :lol:

I think the broken gear-box may well have something to do with the lack of movement.

And a quick edit to add that "Sue" from 'No Problem' is a member here.

Edited by Chris J W

Never before have we been stopped in one place for so long, I really am getting quite anxious. Just not used to not moving after 7 years living aboard as a continuous cruiser.. the longest we have ever been stopped before has never been more than 14 days.. Well I am trying to think hard, but you know what.. I don't think we have stayed more than the British Waterways limit of 14 days in one place.

Hardly bragging.

Edited to say; "hang 'em and burn the boat anyway"

Edited by fuzzyduck

No, definitely not bragging.

They want to be off and are only stuck there because of gear-box failure.

Really should read the blog to see how Sue and Vic are the best kind of CC'ers.

Hope the OP is just ignorant and not malicious.

David

Hope the OP is just ignorant and not malicious.

David

Certainly not malicious, nor ignorant. My point is this. Comments that "Funnily enough, we have not been approached by the Environment Agency about our stay here.. the only person we have seen is a lady from the Council presumably, who passed by on day 3, when we explained to her that we would be here for a week or so.. not seen that lady since" seem to identify Ely as a good place to overstay and therefore encourages such activity (maybe unintentionally), - particularly given the later comments about the court case and the low fine given to a 4 month overstayer and how happy he was at his cheap deal. The notice board shown in one picture clearly describes the mooring as an EA 48 hour mooring, and gives the EA phone number (01480 414581 and the 0800 number) to call in the event of problems. This seemingly has not been done but doing so could avert any stress when the EA pitch up on Saturday with their boats for the Ely Aquafest.

Overstaying boats is a very sensitive issue in Ely and surrounding area where NBs are far from popular with local boaters, representing less than 20% of the registrations on the Great Ouse. This type of situation tends to exacerbate the problem and hence I first saw the link to the blog on another local forum with vociferous complaints and it was also emailed to me. Being NB friendly myself, I thought I would seek comments from the CanalWorld fraternity (which I have been a member of for some years) on their views. Nothing malicious or ignorant intended; my sincere apologies if that is how it came across.

This weekend, Ely Aquafest takes place, there will be many visitors and moorings will be in short supply, and I would not like Sue to come under any personal flack from local boaters. A visit to the EA tent in Jubilee Gardens just down from her mooring maybe appropriate. The inspectors will all be there.

Best Regards

Mike (Grumpy Bear is the name of my Boat!)

<snip>

Overstaying boats is a very sensitive issue in Ely and surrounding area where NBs are far from popular with local boaters, representing less than 20% of the registrations on the Great Ouse. This type of situation tends to exacerbate the problem and hence I first saw the link to the blog on another local forum with vociferous complaints and it was also emailed to me. Being NB friendly myself, I thought I would seek comments from the CanalWorld fraternity (which I have been a member of for some years) on their views. Nothing malicious or ignorant intended; my sincere apologies if that is how it came across.

<snip>

Their situation being somewhat exacerbated by a complete lack of ability to actually move due to gear box failure. A subject covered quite a lot in the blog.

Like Fuzzy, I'd like to have a look at the other site, too. (Can't see anything on YouKnowWhere! :lol: )

Oh Dear Oh Dear

Notwithstanding any of the above, my sympathies are now entirely with Sue on NB Problem. It seems today that at some time their whole diesel fuel load was stolen from the boat.

Just Posted on the Camboaters website: clicky

That is just unspeakable. How can it happen on a very public mooring on the Ely waterfront>

Regards

Mike

maybe it was one of the locals that was so incensed by the "blatant" overstaying, and decided they were fair game? Or maybe the locals simply decided to look the other way?

My sympathies to the crew of No Problem

Edited by fuzzyduck

Lost diesal or not, with a gearbox failure, moving on is far more of an issue.

- If there was a real issue, im sure the EA could have given them a tow, in practice staying there was proberbly the best option.

Daniel

What do you think?

Clicky

Regards

Mike

I think you should have read the blog more carefully. It is in BW's written policy to allow continuous cruisers to overstay the time limits if there is a mechanical breakdown beyond the owners' control, and I would expect EA to do likewise. It is dangerous to do otherwise.

In this case the owners are trying to get repairs as fast as they can so they can then move on. You can see from their blog that they are genuine continuous cruisers in every sense and comply with BW CC policy.

What would you suggest they do without a gearbox on a river navigation?

I wish the best of luck to Sue and "No Problem" (name not looking so well chosen at the moment).

I really like this spot, I'd like to live here for a while. Oh look my engine is broken and its going to take ages to fix it. thats handy.

(I'm not talking about the aforementioned boat in particular, just a handy little loophole to bear in mind)

Oh Dear Oh Dear

Notwithstanding any of the above, my sympathies are now entirely with Sue on NB Problem. It seems today that at some time their whole diesel fuel load was stolen from the boat.

Just Posted on the Camboaters website: clicky

That is just unspeakable. How can it happen on a very public mooring on the Ely waterfront>

Regards

Mike

Oh right, so now there is something you 'understand' your sympathies are with them? This is absolutely typical of the human race. They spend asges pointing out other peoples problems, and if they don't have the facts they then go on to make them up for themselves, and instead of being positive and saying oh dear these poor people have been on a 48hr mooring for 2X days because of their trouble with their boat and family trouble and health trouble and oh isn't it awful how the moon fell out of the sky. People just abbreviate that to ' the ragamuffins, no buns for them this week'

Life is too short. If you have nothing better to do than complain about other people then go to the cinema, the theater or a group of some sort.

There is so much knife crime in the UK at the moment, yet when I look around me I wonder what IS the difference between mental and physical abuse. One leads to death overtly, the other (mental torture) leads to death by the owners own hand. What is worse - you tell me because I can't see it.

Oh right, so now there is something you 'understand' your sympathies are with them? This is absolutely typical of the human race. They spend asges pointing out other peoples problems, and if they don't have the facts they then go on to make them up for themselves, and instead of being positive and saying oh dear these poor people have been on a 48hr mooring for 2X days because of their trouble with their boat and family trouble and health trouble and oh isn't it awful how the moon fell out of the sky. People just abbreviate that to ' the ragamuffins, no buns for them this week'

Life is too short. If you have nothing better to do than complain about other people then go to the cinema, the theater or a group of some sort.

There is so much knife crime in the UK at the moment, yet when I look around me I wonder what IS the difference between mental and physical abuse. One leads to death overtly, the other (mental torture) leads to death by the owners own hand. What is worse - you tell me because I can't see it.

Do you know any good theatres?

Do you know any good theatres?

Funny you should say that. NB Bones is just ABOUT to become a theatre, and there is a private showing in about 10minutes. I will reserve you a seat

It's sadly common for people to judge and condemn, without knowing all the facts.

"I didn't know they had problems." is no excuse for thinking the worst.

Why can't people think the best, for a change.

Or better still, if they are not personally affected by the incident, or have no intention of offering assistance.......

MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!!

It's sadly common for people to judge and condemn, without knowing all the facts.

As Jesus said, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

(I'm not religious but I do find some of his teachings are a very sensible philosophy)

As Jesus said, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

(I'm not religious but I do find some of his teachings are a very sensible philosophy)

And did you see the email from David Mercer to Sue of "No Problem", on Sue's blog.

A perfect example of how to come across like a sanctimonious pillock.

Edited by interleaf2