Union Canal Carriers Working Boat Fleet From the 1970s.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The Google Earth aerial shot in Alan's post if closed in on shows a pair of boats side by side with cabins at the bottom of the picture, a clean road way to their right, and mature shrubs on the left, and what looks like the motor nearest the roadway.

Whereas Virginis is not close to another boat (not that close), no roadway to the right but rising ground and scrub.

So what are those two boats in Google Earth? And whereabouts on site is Virginis?

The same location on Live Local is much fuzzier with long shadows, and more luxurious in arboreal growth. It is older, no access road, and no boats visible.

The Google Earth aerial shot in Alan's post if closed in on shows a pair of boats side by side with cabins at the bottom of the picture, a clean road way to their right, and mature shrubs on the left, and what looks like the motor nearest the roadway.

Whereas Virginis is not close to another boat (not that close), no roadway to the right but rising ground and scrub.

So what are those two boats in Google Earth? And whereabouts on site is Virginis?

The same location on Live Local is much fuzzier with long shadows, and more luxurious in arboreal growth. It is older, no access road, and no boats visible.

As I said earlier, I think I'm right in saying that the Coleshill has gone, though quite ready to be proved wrong. I'll hazard a guess that the Virginis was moved to a different spot, or maybe turned round, for whatever reason, when the crane was on site.

Tim

Derek,

I've been trying to keep up with the discussion. I'm not helped by not having been to Foxton in over 30 years, and knowing little of the geography nor the politics that have gone on during redevelopment.

What I think I understand is that Coleshill & Virginis were dumped by that new road, which presumably is the main feed to the showpiece pup development at the foot of the locks, (not the best advertisement!).

Tim is saying Coleshill has probably been sold, so may I guess now not be anywhere near Foxton.

It sounds like Virginis is now within some secure area part of whatever site Foxton Boat Services now operate from. There I get confused, as it sounds like that may well now be a little way along the Market Harbourough line, although Foxton's web-site still implies they are at the foot of the locks.

However, to further confuse, Graham (Alnwick) reports both boats were still by the new road recently.

I'm sure someone will sort us out soon. :lol:

It sounds like another major change since the Google Earth shots is the rewatering of the branch to the head of the inclined plane. It would be interesting to see a more up to date aerial shot.

To avoid any confusion: Virginis is now within the compound operated by FBS. When looking at the Google Earth image posted by Alan their compound occupies an area in the extreme top right hand corner adjacent to the canal.

Ah yes, should have read Rose's post better. And speaking of Foxton - the last time we were through there was in '83 when we purchased this postcard:-

Coleshill0001.jpg

As I said earlier, I think I'm right in saying that the Coleshill has gone, though quite ready to be proved wrong. I'll hazard a guess that the Virginis was moved to a different spot, or maybe turned round, for whatever reason, when the crane was on site.

Tim

Coleshill has been sold for restoration but until recently was on the entrance road to the new (& crap) Foxton Locks Inn along with Virginis. I'll dig out a photo. I also have a pic of Baldock & Lindsay from 1973..

BW are trying to get rid of the Foxton Boat Services yard just up the Harboro' Arm, but the Matts' Bridge 61 pub is a more atmospheric pub than the Foxton Locks Inn.

Coleshill has been sold for restoration but until recently was on the entrance road to the new (& crap) Foxton Locks Inn along with Virginis. I'll dig out a photo. I also have a pic of Baldock & Lindsay from 1973..

BW are trying to get rid of the Foxton Boat Services yard just up the Harboro' Arm, but the Matts' Bridge 61 pub is a more atmospheric pub than the Foxton Locks Inn.

There is no question in my mind that Lock 61 retains the spirit of the canals in the area - and I bet they can spell Old Peculiar!

This is the listing of beers that has been at the Foxton Locks Inn for the past month at least!

2665667764_b799057005.jpg

The beer the other side is better of course!

Edited by Postcode

Another question !

Rose,

Is Virginis on-land, and probably with Coleshill, please ?

I think I can see them captured on Google Earth, but they appear to be hundreds of yards from the canal, by a road right round the back of, and beyond, the inclined plane....

Do I have the right boats, please ? They look far enough out of view to be likely to be stripped of anything that will move, which kind of surprises me....

Alan

100110341.jpg

Picture from a couple of years ago of the boats at the side of the pub access road.

Edited by Tim Lewis

This was meant to be a "Union Canal Carriers" thread, but as I started it, I reserve the right to continue it as a "former camping boat companies" thread.

As we have deviated on to Foxton Boat Services, I'll reposrt a couple more old pictures.

These are, I believe from 1973.

The boat wasn't positively identified before, but it's either Bletchley or Baldock, and I think it far more likely it's Bletchley.

Bringing us back to Union Canal Carriers, (phew!), the pictures are shot from the motor Bexhill, which was my first real exposure to the joys of a 70 foot boat.

(Can anyone prove it definitely is, or is not, Bletchley, please ?)

Bexhill_and_Unidentified_FBS_Boat.jpg

Unidentified_Foxton_Motor.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

I would have liked to buy the door and plastic coat it as it is in its distressed state to have in my flat. If I knew that restoration had started and a pattern had already been made then I might have asked

As it's a bit off topic, I've posted a follow up on the Roses and Castles thread. :lol:

• 1 year later...

I have come across a number of 35mm transparencies of the Union Canal Carriers fleet moored up at Braunston and am having problems copying them. One of the boats that has not been mentioned previously and I cann't find any trace of so am looking for help is a butty named "Crusader" she is moored up alongside Kimberley and painted with UCC name on the side. One other boat that I have been able to trace is "Hawksbury" also painted with UCC name on cabin side. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Sorry should have mentioned the pictures were taken about 1972/73.

Keith

Edited by keithbo

I have come across a number of 35mm transparencies of the Union Canal Carriers fleet moored up at Braunston and am having problems copying them. One of the boats that has not been mentioned previously and I cann't find any trace of so am looking for help is a butty named "Crusader" she is moored up alongside Kimberley and painted with UCC name on the side. One other boat that I have been able to trace is "Hawksbury" also painted with UCC name on cabin side. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Sorry should have mentioned the pictures were taken about 1972/73.

Keith

I think it was 'Ara', painted up for some film duties.

Keith

Crusader rings no bells with me at all, and I do not immediately recognise it as any butty name.

Someone will know.

Puppis was usual butty to Kimberley around that time I think, operated as a pair with a crew, taking up to 24 campers.

If nobody knows "Crusader", it's possible it might have been used in a TV or filming role, where the names of baots are often changed - witness renamed Badsey in Minder episode in recent thread.

I think I do recall Hawksbury as maybe operated as a 12 person self-steer camper. I'm not going to risk looking to see if it has already had a mention as my PC is too unstable, here in hospital, and will try and post before it crashes.

EDITED TO ADD:

I genuinely had not seen "Buckby Locks" reply before I posted, but we seem to agree - changed for filming duties and not yet changed back.

There is a Harry Potter engine running around with "Hogwarts Castle" nameplates, but it was never called that as a Great Western Railway engine, not was it ever red!

Edited by alan_fincher

to clear up a bit of confusion on this thread

Coleshill and Virginis were the pair on the New road down to the bottom lock

coleshill has been sold AFAIK Virginis is now down in the yard (the new yard built on the old track)

Corolla was in the bottom incline basin for some time after she was rebottomed

i believe the old 1973 picture is actually Baldock and Owl not Virginis, seen it a few times before, Owl was sold on, to spend a few years down at leicester

Baldock was paired with Viginis in 1983/4 with coleshill running single motor

baldock spent the winter of 1983/4? on graffham water spraying chemicals to keep blue green algae at bay whilst the reservior was drained down for maintenance

I think it was 'Ara', painted up for some film duties.

I don't think Ara was operated by UCC at the time - it was paired with Tom Sewell's Phobos.

Crusader was the butty Puppis repainted around 1972 for a children's TV series called IIRC Thursday's Child. It operated as a camper in this guise until it was repainted at the end of the season.

Paul

I don't think Ara was operated by UCC at the time - it was paired with Tom Sewell's Phobos.

Crusader was the butty Puppis repainted around 1972 for a children's TV series called IIRC Thursday's Child. It operated as a camper in this guise until it was repainted at the end of the season.

Paul

Yes, I doubted it was Ara.

I have photos of that with Phobos in Little Venice at almost exactly these dates.

Puppis would make sense - the normal pair to Kimberley.

Paul

That would make sence as Puppis is the only boat that I cannot accout for on the photographs. All the other boats are ther Thanks.

Keith

Paul

I can confirm that PUPPIS and CRUSADER are one of the same boat, and that Paul is correct in his memories of Thursday's Child in 1972. Interestingly I have ARA as being renamed TILLY in July 1972 for film work - was this also for Thursdays Child ?

Paul

Depends a bit on 'the time'. I have now found my notes/logs from 'the time' and although Kimberley was indeed working with Crusader/Puppis in August 73, Ara was not recorded with Phobos that year, (although they were not far apart), whereas both Crusader & Ara were together in Leighton with a cargo of Scouts in August 74. Only Kimberley was noted as a motor on that occasion and both butties were being winded in front of me, so I imagine the other motor was either hidden or off on an errand. Petrel & Moon were also there with a cargo of Guides. Puppis was not repainted until after that in 74, and Kimberley was spotted working with Ara in 75. On the same trip in 74 Phobos was seen travelling around as a single motor in Long Buckby. Kimberley more often worked single motor, (self steer) later on but it was seen with 'Bakewell' in 76 and also with their 'Admiral' butty.

I accept my memory from that long ago led to my error in suggesting Crusader was Ara, but they were together in 74 when I saw them, hence my confusion.

Surely Alec (alex) Purcell regularly captianed Kimberley and Puppis. I remember drinking with him in the Rising Sun In Berkhamsted. He had scouts on board and had a bottle of Guiness from each of them. I remember Alex sitting at a round table, 24 empty bottles of Guiness in front of him telling me "I was born at the bottom Of Smethwich locks in 1894......" He was up and away before me in the morning too!

I hope I have spelled his name something like right, I only ever heard it spoken, never saw it written.

Edited by antarmike

Surely Alec (alex) Purcell regularly captianed Kimberley and Puppis. I remember drinking with him in the Rising Sun In Berkhamsted. He had scouts on board and had a bottle of Guiness from each of them. I remember Alex sitting at a round table, 24 empty bottles of Guiness in front of him telling me "I was born at the bottom Of Smethwich locks in 1894......" He was up and away before me in the morning too!

I hope I have spelled his name something like right, I only ever heard it spoken, never saw it written.

Alec was certainly shafting the two butties round at Leighton on the occasion I mentioned above.

• 3 weeks later...