1 week from Alvechurch ( end of july)

kremmen

Featured Posts

This will be my second narrowboat holiday ( Thanks Mr Tesco).

I have been lurking around and obviously at my age the more info I get the more confused I get :lol: .

I have got 1 week ( starting 28th July) and would like to get some relaxation ( with the kids doing the locks) before I take a week to hoon thru spain etc on my motorbike.

I prefer the countryside and will cruise for up to 5 or 6 hours a day(unless more really required).

So any advice on which route I should take?

Ta :lol:

Paul

Could try the Stourport ring, we managed it comfortably with just the 2 of us.

Cruising between 5 and 7 hours a day.

Started from Stoke prior 2pm on the Saturday and was back by 3pm the following Friday.

And that was with a break down on the Severn as well.

Plenty of locks for the kids to.

That was going by way of the Netherton tunnel

A mate of mine who's down there regular says 5 days with a lay up on the Severn for the Stourport ring, we went to Middlewich folk and boat instead... not complaining.

Could keep the kids busy running down lapworth then up through Brum via GU. A bit of history and it'll keep 'em busy. Took us a 4 day weekend last year so maybe a bit short but it's a nice jaunt.

Stourport'll be nicer.

Main reason I suggested the stourport ring is it allows for late starts and lay ins.

Will probably be putting our trip around the stourport ring in the cruise dairy section sometime in the next couple of days so that might help

Late starts and layins Moi? I hope so.

I look foreward to your entry in the dairy section.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at various online guides there appears to be an opinion that the stourport ring is an energetic week not a gentle bimble.

Are these guides just being "conservative".

Either way can anyone recommend any guides to buy or do I just buy a pearsons? :lol:

Paul

I really should use spell check :lol: .

I am still looking for people with experience of the stourport ring as a do-able ( thats not in my dictionary either) bimble ( gentle) week.

Thanks

Paul

I really should use spell check :lol: .

I am still looking for people with experience of the stourport ring as a do-able ( thats not in my dictionary either) bimble ( gentle) week.

Thanks

Paul

We (two of us) did the Stourport Ring in a week many years ago. Pearson's suggests the ring is 44 hours, Canal Plan says 54. I'd suggest the Pearson's figure is probably more like it, because flights of narrow locks (such as Tardebigge and Wolverhampton) don't take as long as you might think. 44 hours would be about seven hours a day (bearing in mind that a hire week is really only six days), but I don't feel qualified to say whether that falls into the category of a doable bimble. Only you can decide that.

We (two of us) did the Stourport Ring in a week many years ago. Pearson's suggests the ring is 44 hours, Canal Plan says 54. I'd suggest the Pearson's figure is probably more like it, because flights of narrow locks (such as Tardebigge and Wolverhampton) don't take as long as you might think. 44 hours would be about seven hours a day (bearing in mind that a hire week is really only six days), but I don't feel qualified to say whether that falls into the category of a doable bimble. Only you can decide that.

Thanks for some informed opinion. I think I could end up doing a "there and back" trip. But I will wait and see based on my cruising time on the 1st couple of days.

Unlike my other holiday where the accomodation on my motorcycle tour is paid and booked the accomodation on this holiday is going with me and I can be more flexible.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
Right, were off.Wish me luck and say hi if you see me and the kids abord the Imperial eagle ( and forgive my wallowing around whilst I get reaquanted with Nb steering :lol: ).

Paul

good luck