Almost Time - HELP!

Bob on Holiday

Featured Posts

Well it has been a while since I have been on here but our trip (first time) is coming up in a few weeks and thought I would ask for any last minute throughts or ideas. We booked our week trip from Anglo Welsh to leave out of Wootton Wawen. We plan on heading down to Stratford-Upon-Avon first, to check that out then heading back north to see how far we get before we have to turn around. We pick the boat up on the 5th of July. How has the weather been over there? I guess what I am interested in is there any "must see" things along the way. And how about pubs heading north out of Wootton Wawen. How do you know where to stop? We are from the USA so we mostly wear shorts and t shirts. Will that be a problem going into pubs? Not looking for fancy places to eat- would like to enjoy the local places. We are flying into and out of Manchester and need a place to stay Saturday night after the cannal trip for our flight back on Sunday morning (13th). Are there places in Wootton Wawen or are we better off going back towards the airport and looking for a place there? Should we try and make reservations ahead of time? Any help or comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated. We are first timers, so please be gently! :-)

How do you know where to stop?

Get a Nicholsons guide or a map of the bit of canal you are cruising - probably on sale in the hire boat office, if not, many chandlers have them.

We are from the USA so we mostly wear shorts and t shirts. Will that be a problem going into pubs?

Only in the posher type of gastro-pub - shouldn't be a problem in a canalside boozer in summer, especially if you sit outside watching the boats go by!

Not looking for fancy places to eat- would like to enjoy the local places.

Again Nicholsons. And the local element on this forum will put you right, too. You want 'bitter', from the truncheon-shaped hand pulls on the bar.,not lagerade.

We are flying into and out of Manchester and need a place to stay Saturday night after the cannal trip for our flight back on Sunday morning (13th). Are there places in Wootton Wawen or are we better off going back towards the airport and looking for a place there? Should we try and make reservations ahead of time?

Can't go wrong with Travelodge or Premier Inns - bookable on line, rooms can be cancelled up to 4pm the day you are due to arrive.

Hope this is some help. Enjoy!

(By the way, weather-wise it'll be cracking t'flags in early July, because I'll be out boating too. WLIH)

Get a Nicholsons guide or a map of the bit of canal you are cruising - probably on sale in the hire boat office, if not, many chandlers have them.

Only in the posher type of gastro-pub - shouldn't be a problem in a canalside boozer in summer, especially if you sit outside watching the boats go by!

Again Nicholsons. And the local element on this forum will put you right, too. You want 'bitter', from the truncheon-shaped hand pulls on the bar.,not lagerade.

Can't go wrong with Travelodge or Premier Inns - bookable on line, rooms can be cancelled up to 4pm the day you are due to arrive.

Hope this is some help. Enjoy!

(By the way, weather-wise it'll be cracking t'flags in early July, because I'll be out boating too. WLIH)

Well it has been a while since I have been on here but our trip (first time) is coming up in a few weeks and thought I would ask for any last minute throughts or ideas. We booked our week trip from Anglo Welsh to leave out of Wootton Wawen. We plan on heading down to Stratford-Upon-Avon first, to check that out then heading back north to see how far we get before we have to turn around. We pick the boat up on the 5th of July. How has the weather been over there? I guess what I am interested in is there any "must see" things along the way. And how about pubs heading north out of Wootton Wawen. How do you know where to stop? We are from the USA so we mostly wear shorts and t shirts. Will that be a problem going into pubs? Not looking for fancy places to eat- would like to enjoy the local places. We are flying into and out of Manchester and need a place to stay Saturday night after the cannal trip for our flight back on Sunday morning (13th). Are there places in Wootton Wawen or are we better off going back towards the airport and looking for a place there? Should we try and make reservations ahead of time? Any help or comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated. We are first timers, so please be gently! :-)

Hi Bob, the weather here is always changeable, we often get four seasons in one day, so it's tough to predict what the weather will be like in early July except to say that you might get some sunshine but you might equally get some rain. Bring some warm and waterproof clothing as well as the shorts and t-shirts. I don't know the area you plan to cruise in so I can't help there. Most pubs are OK with shorts and t-shirts.

If you need to check in fairly early on Sunday in would probably be best to stay on or around the airport. There are lots of hotels around Manchester Airport, we always stay at the Radisson SAS which is actually on the airport, two minutes walk from Terminal 2 and there's a, I'm struggling to remember what you call it, people mover, moving walkway whatever, to take you to other terminals. It's a little more expensive that other hotels but you will need to get a taxi or courtesy bus from them to your terminal. Go to the Manchester Airport website for information on all hotels and the Radisson website for their hotel. It's advisable to book in advance.

Enjoy your holiday.

Stewart

I got the Canal Companion, some towpath guide, and Waterways Guide 3 and 4- That is the good news, the bad news is I have not looked at them yet! Thanks for your input- If you see 4 fools from USA trying to steer a 65 foot boat into a lock- please give a hand!

Will also look into getting a room near the airport! Just still not sure about that warm beer thing! :-)

But only with knee-length shorts

Blazer? Straw Hat? Knee-length shorts? We are from Florida- I don't even own a blazer! :-)

Hi Bob, the weather here is always changeable, we often get four seasons in one day, so it's tough to predict what the weather will be like in early July except to say that you might get some sunshine but you might equally get some rain. Bring some warm and waterproof clothing as well as the shorts and t-shirts. I don't know the area you plan to cruise in so I can't help there. Most pubs are OK with shorts and t-shirts.

If you need to check in fairly early on Sunday in would probably be best to stay on or around the airport. There are lots of hotels around Manchester Airport, we always stay at the Radisson SAS which is actually on the airport, two minutes walk from Terminal 2 and there's a, I'm struggling to remember what you call it, people mover, moving walkway whatever, to take you to other terminals. It's a little more expensive that other hotels but you will need to get a taxi or courtesy bus from them to your terminal. Go to the Manchester Airport website for information on all hotels and the Radisson website for their hotel. It's advisable to book in advance.

Enjoy your holiday.

Stewart

thanks for the input about the place to stay. We are hoping for all sunshine being from the sunshire state of Florida. I think where we are going is called the Stratford Canal. Seems like we should be able to get back north as far as Kings Norton in a week after heading down to Stratford first. I am impressed how helpfull everyone has been. Thanks!

Hi Bob.

The dress code on the canals is quite informal these days, most pub landlords would consider the convention of Opera Capes to be a little 'over the top these days'.. A striped blazer and straw boater is quite acceptable now.

Good to know about the Opera capes. That is one less thing we have to pack!

Bob

I live reasonably close to Wootton Wawen and have a boat moored at Knowle on the Grand Union Canal just North of Lapworth. If you need to know anything specific PM me and I'll try and help.

Unfortunately Stratford Basin area is undergoing a facelift at the moment and you may well encounter some building work. When I go to Stratford I usually get a day licence and go on the River Avon - much more peaceful overnight.

Note there are very few shops on the Southern part (Stratford - Lapwoth) other than a good little store at Wootton itself so make sure you have enough supplies

Good pubs at Wilmcote (Shakespeares Birthplace), Wootton Wawen (right by the hire yard), Lowsonford, Lapworth. Earlswood (Cider House - be careful the cider is lethal !! ) and probably the last one is the Drawbridge at Shirley.

After that the area becomes more residential and the area North of Shirley towards Kings Norton has no recommended stopping places

Regards

Geoff

Bob

I live reasonably close to Wootton Wawen and have a boat moored at Knowle on the Grand Union Canal just North of Lapworth. If you need to know anything specific PM me and I'll try and help.

Unfortunately Stratford Basin area is undergoing a facelift at the moment and you may well encounter some building work. When I go to Stratford I usually get a day licence and go on the River Avon - much more peaceful overnight.

Note there are very few shops on the Southern part (Stratford - Lapwoth) other than a good little store at Wootton itself so make sure you have enough supplies

Good pubs at Wilmcote (Shakespeares Birthplace), Wootton Wawen (right by the hire yard), Lowsonford, Lapworth. Earlswood (Cider House - be careful the cider is lethal !! ) and probably the last one is the Drawbridge at Shirley.

After that the area becomes more residential and the area North of Shirley towards Kings Norton has no recommended stopping places

Regards

Geoff

Thanks for that information- was checking a book I got (Canal Companion) and it mentioned 2 canal pubs; " The Drawbridge" by bridge 8 and "The Horseshoe" by Bridge 3. They seem to be between Shirly and Brandwood Tunnel. Have you ever heard of them? As far as pulling over/up to these areas, what do you do? Are there places to tie up your boat? How about finding a place to spend the night. Do you just pull over anywhere? Are places marked? I know once we get there these questions will seem silly but just wanted to have a better understanding before we go.

We are also spending a week in the "Lake District". Would you recommend any sights to see up in that area? We will have a car and staying in a condo and figured we would take day trips. That is if I can get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road! :-)

QUOTE (Bob on Holiday @ Jun 14 2008, 02:34 PM)

We are from the USA so we mostly wear shorts and t shirts. Will that be a problem going into pubs?

I was on a hire boat in early May this year on the southern end of the Shroppie and the Staffs and Worcs canals. I was proudly wearing my new Castrol Oils Baseball cap that I had won the previous week at the Vintage Marine Engine club Rally in Bugsworth when we popped in to a canalside pub for a lunchtime drink.

I was truly astonished to be asked to remove it by a jumped up little pipsqeak behind the bar. I was so taken aback that I removed it. I won't be drinking again at the Fox and Anchor near bridge 71 Cross Green. :lol:

Thanks for that information- was checking a book I got (Canal Companion) and it mentioned 2 canal pubs; " The Drawbridge" by bridge 8 and "The Horseshoe" by Bridge 3. They seem to be between Shirly and Brandwood Tunnel. Have you ever heard of them? As far as pulling over/up to these areas, what do you do? Are there places to tie up your boat? How about finding a place to spend the night. Do you just pull over anywhere? Are places marked? I know once we get there these questions will seem silly but just wanted to have a better understanding before we go.

Anywhere from Stratford up to Shirley Drawbridge is fine to stop, from Shirley towards Kings Norton, I personally wouldn't want to moor.

Yes you stop virtually anywhere on the towpath side of the canal. If you get time and end up towards Kings Norton if you dont want to go to Birmingham City turn left towards Worcester as far as Hopwood (only about an hour) good pub and you can turn round there.

Bob, do have a look at the following sites:

1. Waterscape - Here you can print out the various canal routes you may be covering:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides

2. CanalPlan - Here you can work out possible routes and their timing. Thankfully this wonderful site is now back up running after being down for a few days.

http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Have a great time. We have now been twice on the canals for a week at a time. Terribly addictive!! Bob, if Stewey can do it then you will have no problem! :lol:

Stewey

Hi Bob,

I have just returned from a boat trip which brought us back down the stratford canal where we moored overnight at Wooton Wawen. Then carried on to Stratford and then down the Avon. I would recommend that you look at buying a 24 or 48 hour licence and go onto the Avon, after the narrowness of the Stratford Canal you will find the wideness and the the bigger locks a plesant diversion. The trip after going through the lock at Stratford and past the Royal Shakespeare Theatre with all the rowing boats out quite a pleasant experience. The upper Avon is a lovely river to cruise on with low banks and good pubs. The locks are more spaced out and then you will be ready to come back through the lock flights on the Stratford. I hope the weather is kind because this does make the trip a lot better our trip down this stretch last weekend weather could not be better.

I was on a hire boat in early May this year on the southern end of the Shroppie and the Staffs and Worcs canals. I was proudly wearing my new Castrol Oils Baseball cap that I had won the previous week at the Vintage Marine Engine club Rally in Bugsworth when we popped in to a canalside pub for a lunchtime drink.

I was truly astonished to be asked to remove it by a jumped up little pipsqeak behind the bar. I was so taken aback that I removed it. I won't be drinking again at the Fox and Anchor near bridge 71 Cross Green. :lol:

Good on them, I was always told that hats should not be worn indoors.

Hi Bob

If you do decide to go on to the Avon (river) check with the hire company as to whether you will be insured.

If think it is best if we just stay in the Stratford Canal this time and enjoy as many pubs as we can find! Got to get the wife to try some of that cider! I hear good things about it! "-)

HI firstly enjoy your holiday. I lived in Florida for eight years so know how you guys tend to dress. Over here the weather is a lot cooler than you would be used to, so beware. Rain yes we get some of that, but rarely like the torrential downpours that I experienced over there.

Lake district, it will be busy there and car parking at any of the major attractions is decidedly poor, and you must be resigned to queus, and in some cases a fair walk. IT WILL RAIN IN THE LAKES. You haven't stated where the condo is so its not easy to advise you what to see etc. If you like walking I suggest getting ny of the Wainright guides. Must sees would include the Beatrix Potter home, the Kendal mintcake factory< Lake Coniston.

Driving. Parallel parking is the norm, at Traffic lights watch out there is no 'filter on red'. ROads will be narrow, with poor visibility due to high hedges and stone walls, sound horn on blind bends, and heavy vehicles 'hogging' the centre of the roads. ROad signs are better thn FL (Well around TAllahassee< and CLearwater).

Roundabouts abound here, take your time, and watch the locals.

Motorways (FAirways)< cars can now undertake on the inside so if in the middle lane keep an eye out for the inside lane. HGVs (Heavy GOods vehicles) will pull out without adequate warning.

If you encounter heavy goods vehicles from mainland europe (very common)< take great care when overtaking, they have a very serious blindspot to the right of the cab (wide berth and don't hang about).

Speeds are quicker than you will be used to< NO 55mph (70mph)

ANy other specifics, you can contact direct.

Bob, do have a look at the following sites:

1. Waterscape - Here you can print out the various canal routes you may be covering:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides

2. CanalPlan - Here you can work out possible routes and their timing. Thankfully this wonderful site is now back up running after being down for a few days.

http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Have a great time. We have now been twice on the canals for a week at a time. Terribly addictive!! Bob, if Stewey can do it then you will have no problem! :lol:

Stewey

Thanks! these were both a great help. Really looking forward to the trip. Just hope the weather is good!

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Motorways (FAirways)< cars can now undertake on the inside so if in the middle lane keep an eye out for the inside lane. HGVs (Heavy GOods vehicles) will pull out without adequate warning.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP

:lol: When did this happen?

As far as pulling over/up to these areas, what do you do? Are there places to tie up your boat? How about finding a place to spend the night. Do you just pull over anywhere? Are places marked? I know once we get there these questions will seem silly but just wanted to have a better understanding before we go.

Bob, a book well worth looking at is The Boaters Handbook This is available for free at British Waterways offices and many marinas. However for your immediate purposes, there is also a downloadable version in PDF format as follows:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/useful-downloads

Just look under "other useful information" for Boaters' Handbook

Hopefully the info. on page nine covers your questions on where to moor (and even more importantly, where not to moor!) The good thing about the PDF version, of course, is that you can just print off the pages you really need to keep at hand.

Stewey

:lol: Couldn't agree with you more - the same thing happened to me last year at the same pub, though I was wearing my Welsh Rugby Baseball Cap, which I certainly wasn't going to remove for anyone apart from Gareth Edwards.

He asked me to remove the cap after I had already ordered a number of drinks which really got my back up, so I told my family that we were leaving & walked out without paying.

I was approached by the manager who told me that I had to pay for the drinks, I said no because the barman (pipsqeak) should have asked me to remove the hat prior to me ordering the drinks not after. I didn't pay!

It's a canal side pub for god sake not a trendy wine bar though when I looked around it did appear to be full of Tory Bastards!

Come the revolution Cotswoldsman & Paddingtonbear we will all be wearing Baseball Caps!