Sky on a NB

Biggles

Featured Posts

Does anyone have this deal WITHOUT a phone line?

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/pay-once.aspx

Sky say I can't have it without a phone line.

Otherwise I have my own equipment, what is the recommended viewing package.

Any hints, tips, work arounds or blags that can be used on Sky.

Biggles

Biggles

We have freesat, it's basically Sky without any packages, you pay a one off payment for installation and that's it. If you want to sign up to any of the sky packages you can. The only reason we got freesat was a poor signal in this area, freesat solves that.

there are ways of getting stuff free though :lol::lol: but I couldn't possibly comment :lol: basically cos I don't really know what exactly they are :)

We've just taken it out for the same reason (poor reception), and the only reason you need a phone line is to activate the card when you get it.

Wasn't queried with me when I rang.

EDIT

Thinking about it, my daughter and her boyfriend took out Freesat recently and they only have moblie phones, and she had no problems

Edited by Graham Davis

Ive had the full sky package for 4 years now on boats. No phone line and all the channels.

The Phone line is only required to access interactive services such as pay per view programs.

When I relocated from Chatham to the canal i also had to change my skybox due to water damage, a friend had an old box at home so gave that to me. The box worked fine with my skycard for freesat stuff but i couldnt get my premium channels. Gave sky a bell and they explained that the card is set up to the individual box, Within half an hour they had updated my card so it would work properly with the new box. They do this by sending the info from the Sat and not from the phone line as i had always imagined.

Yeh that's what I thought. We have sky at home and don't have it connected to the phone. We still get updates.

Biggles

If you have it at home, ( I assume your not livaboard) then just get yourself a new dish and take your home sky box and card onto the boat with you. Its only a matter of power and scart lead and align the dish. It works, My set up was originally attached to the outside of my bungalow It was 2 years before i updated sky with a new address .

Biggles

This is because the installation is subsidised by advertisers and shopping channels etc who hope you will spend spend spend with them. Many channels are available free without a card. A second-hand Sky box can be used here and a "freesatfromsky" card obtained for £25 (I think). For this you access to a few of the encrypted channels e.g. Five, Five US etc. All BBC regional programmes are available but accessing ITV regional programmes is challenging using the "additional Channels" feature. Freesat started early May but many free channels and all encrypted channels are unavailable. Finally, a free to air satellite receiver can receive all unencrypted channels and other satellites - very useful for German, Italian etc speakers. The latter requires channel lists to be manually updated from time to time and you can re-organize the list sequence. C4, More 4 and E4 all became available free but not readily identifiable from their channel named e.g. C4 has a 4-digit number ID and is listed close to a more 4 or E4 channel.

For those without the funds for an automatic dish alignment system, Sky dishes are not the easiest to set up and are more prone to loss of signal due to boat movement. A Kerstan Mini Mobile dish or the one included in the "Satellite in a Suitcase" product from Maplin is both adequate across the UK inland waterway network, more able to accommodate the typical movement of a boat moored on a canal and easier to align to the chosen satellite.

I have a TV with freeview built in and a "Satellite in a Suitcase". Although the latter is a little difficult to set up, practice and persistence make it worthwhile for me.

Sky are talking crap!

Yes you can have sky freesat like me or the full lot and you dont need a phone line!

Firstly dont even deal with them, as soon as you say "boat" they dont want to know, But do ring them with your credit card and buy a freesat card, 1 off payment of 20pounds and job done!

Then go to ebay and buy a digi box, Ive got the "Pace" one. and then go to roadpro in Daventry and get a Kerstan mini dish and cable.

Dont bother with a sat finder there more of a pain, just point the dish in the right bit of sky and go by the signal strengh on the tv.

If you have any issues just email me.

Kristian. ps you will need a remote control, ebay or Tesco.

look,, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKY-BOX-PACE-DS430N-...1QQcmdZViewItem

and http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_li...atellite+dishes

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes agre 100%. I did the same. Sky have no idea from where you are watching. So just use home or friends address to get the £20 card. Never used signal finder just start in east turn slowly to S/east no problem.

Adding regional itv stations is a doddle. Great for watching Locks & Quays on Yorkshire

Edited by valrene9600

Got the dish off a mate

Picked up the box at the local skip, it even had scart lead pluged in it.

Set it all up on the mooring and boat.

Phoned sky ....they sent out card next day no problems.The only address we have is the boat and we have no phone line.

All up and running with in 2 days :lol:

lol Remember its not what you know its who you know.

My sons god father works for sky :lol::lol: