Theft of Red Diesel

Idunhoe

Featured Posts

Just heard on the national news that thefts of red diesel are up by 30% (and it is my belief that as prices continue to rise faster than a space rocket that this can only get worse). I had my fuel nicked about three years ago and have since fitted a lock to the filler cap, have others been forced into taking similar measures to protect their fuel?

We have lorries and vans, no point in putting locking caps on them, they'll just hole the tank which costs more than the fuel stolen. Have had to put extra security on our 25000 gallon heating diesel tank also, as there's been several thefts and attempts. We now just make sure there's only a minimal amount of fuel in the vehicle tanks when left at the yard. This is on land though, our boat's not on the canal at mo. but would be doing something to stop theft if we were. Theft of diesel is rising in this area also (Dorset)

The best way to deter it is don't moor alone in quiet places and leave the boat.

Just heard on the national news that thefts of red diesel are up by 30% (and it is my belief that as prices continue to rise faster than a space rocket that this can only get worse). I had my fuel nicked about three years ago and have since fitted a lock to the filler cap, have others been forced into taking similar measures to protect their fuel?

We suffered this problem, during the last fuel shortages, six or seven years ago. Obviously the same lowlife...........same MO, small hole punched thro' the bottom of the tanks. From memory I repaired three steel tanks in a week.

Asked if I could do anything about it, a cunning plan was devised :lol: We recovered a car that was an obvious write-off. It had a good quarter tank of juice, so was ideal. It was placed in the darkest part of the yard, close to the fence. The apprentice was despatched to the corner shop, to purchase two bags of sugar. This was added to the tank of the write-off.........trap set.

We didn't have to wait long, think it was two nights later............hole punched thro' , fuel gone.

It did however cure the problem and no trouble since, the scrote is either dead/in jail/unable to nick another car, whatever. Of course, he's probably been replaced by son-of-scrote..........we'll have to see...

Edited by PistonBroke

We suffered this problem, during the last fuel shortages, six or seven years ago. Obviously the same lowlife...........same MO, small hole punched thro' the bottom of the tanks. From memory I repaired three steel tanks in a week.

Asked if I could do anything about it, a cunning plan was devised :) We recovered a car that was an obvious write-off. It had a good quarter tank of juice, so was ideal. It was placed in the darkest part of the yard, close to the fence. The apprentice was despatched to the corner shop, to purchase two bags of sugar. This was added to the tank of the write-off.........trap set.

We didn't have to wait long, think it was two nights later............hole punched thro' , fuel gone.

It did however cure the problem and no trouble since, the scrote is either dead/in jail/unable to nick another car, whatever. Of course, he's probably been replaced by son-of-scrote..........we'll have to see...

I suggested to the police we do this with some sugar with a van that was off road. I couldn't believe it when he said if you did that and their engine buggered that we could be liable, I thought he was joking, but no. Although the thief would have to admit he stole the fuel, he could pursue us for damage to his engine :lol:

Fortunately we haven't had a visit lately, basically as not much fuel has been left in tanks. The cops said they tap on the tanks with something, if they sound hollow then they don't bother.

They are in full view of CCTV as well but just wear hoodies, when they check the tanks and no fuel, they then just wander off to the next trading estate I assume.

We previously had the theft of 2 tankfulls emptied in full view of the cameras. How they work is they'll visit a site, check tanks. If fuel is in them they get on their mobile. Few minutes later a car drops off 25 litre containers out of view of the cameras. The guys spend about 45 min's syphoning the fuel, each time a containrer is filled, it's taken to the point the car delivered them. When all are done, they're on the mobile, car turns up and thier away :lol: So if you just see people hanging around fuel tanks, but think their not up to anything as they have no fuel cans or tube, it's likely on the way :lol:

So what we need a good designs of locking caps for our boats. It's the only way they can get the fuel out unless they break in and empty it through the drain tap.

I know it is a topic that has been covered but some of the replies are not practicable.

So what we need a good designs of locking caps for our boats. It's the only way they can get the fuel out unless they break in and empty it through the drain tap.

I know it is a topic that has been covered but some of the replies are not practicable.

Don't forget the tank vent, small hole, but you can get a tube in it :lol: And it wouldn't take long to drill a 10mm hole through 6mm steel with a fully charged battery drill.

The odds of getting fuel nicked from a boats tank are a lot slimmer than from vans and lorries, especially when they're morred up in public places. In my experience locks will not put fuel thieves off, they can easily be wrenched off or hacked at causing damage, as said failing that they will just hole the tank if they think they have time and cover.

This probably didn't end up in a green result but-

We used to have diesel supplied in 40 gallon drums we normally returned most empty drums for the deposit but always kept one for waste oil for a local business that used it I think for a heater of some kind.

Anyway one day we had a visit from the TGB's (Pikeys) all the time he was giving his have you got any scrap patter he and his mate were eyeing this drum which hadn't been emptied for ages and was in the way, so we topped it off with some contaminated diesel collected from a leak in the bilge.

Anyway just as expected the following morning it had gone! :lol:

I suggested to the police we do this with some sugar with a van that was off road. I couldn't believe it when he said if you did that and their engine buggered that we could be liable, I thought he was joking, but no. Although the thief would have to admit he stole the fuel, he could pursue us for damage to his engine :lol:

Remember that he was a policeman not a lawyer. If you were talking about setting such a trap in conjunction with the police then he may have a point - they can't get involved with that sort of thing. However, you can put whatever you like into the fuel tank of your own vehicle and there's no law against putting sugar into your own tank.

Anyone stealing fuel from that tank who wanted to sue for damage to their engine would have to prove that you had intended malicious damage. Firstly as you say, they'd have to admit to theft and secondly proving that you had intended to maliciously damage their engine would be extremely difficult. All in all I reckon they'd learn their lesson.

Edited by blackrose

Remember that he was a policeman not a lawyer. If you were talking about setting such a trap in conjunction with the police then he may have a point - they can't get involved with that sort of thing. However, you can put whatever you like into the fuel tank of your own vehicle and there's no law against putting sugar into your own tank.

Anyone stealing fuel from that tank who wanted to sue for damage to their engine would have to prove that you had intended malicious damage. Firstly as you say, they'd have to admit to theft and secondly proving that you had intended to maliciously damage their engine would be extremely difficult. All in all I reckon they'd learn their lesson.

Agreed it was just the fact the policeman put forward that scenario, as you say very unlikely that we would get sued.

If I was a policeman and someone suggested as I did, I would simple smile, and say I couldn't possibly comment :lol:

I agree that not even the biggest 'bestest' lock is completely secure but surely the idea is to make your boat (fuel tank) a less attractive proposition to the low life than another one.

It's insured - New Shed ? Never give in to them - it only encourages them...

Nick

Insurance is fine so long as you never get sentimental about anything.... The 'last remaining' is irreplaceable....

And for many things, like classic vehicles, only ever pays out market value......:lol:

Insurance is fine so long as you never get sentimental about anything.... The 'last remaining' is irreplaceable....

And for many things, like classic vehicles, only ever pays out market value......:lol:

Or nothing at all, if you're hanging on for someone to take your shed off you, to restore and your insurance lapses.

Or nothing at all, if you're hanging on for someone to take your shed off you, to restore and your insurance lapses.

Caustic soda is better than sugar in a fuel tank see what it does to ally.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if they would work on a boat's filler, but on cars and trucks you can get an insert that goes in the top that is basically a little basket, it allows you to put a pump handle in it, but try and get a hose in it and the insert will block it. Of course it would only work where the tank is completely inaccessible externally, cos otherwise they'll just jab a hole in the tank and let it drain out... :lol:

As for these hoodies, I'd say put CCTV cameras lower down, but hidden, whilst still having the high mounted ones, and have plenty of IR lighting dotted about, that'll reveal who the culprits are, and hopefully get them behind bars faster... :lol:

I don't know if they would work on a boat's filler, but on cars and trucks you can get an insert that goes in the top that is basically a little basket, it allows you to put a pump handle in it, but try and get a hose in it and the insert will block it. Of course it would only work where the tank is completely inaccessible externally, cos otherwise they'll just jab a hole in the tank and let it drain out... :lol:

As for these hoodies, I'd say put CCTV cameras lower down, but hidden, whilst still having the high mounted ones, and have plenty of IR lighting dotted about, that'll reveal who the culprits are, and hopefully get them behind bars faster... :lol:

Welcome to the forum - your name suggests that you are a Citroen 2CV type, we had several (including a Belgian rat-catcher's van) and enjoyed every minute of it.

The problem with the inserts on boats is that boat tanks are generally much larger than vehicle tanks so the thieves will be more eager find a way of breaking through to get at the rich pickings inside. Even the strongest insert would be no match to a well place mooring pin and lump hammer.

We keep our main tank empty when we are not aboard - that seems to work!

Welcome to the forum - your name suggests that you are a Citroen 2CV type, we had several (including a Belgian rat-catcher's van) and enjoyed every minute of it.

The problem with the inserts on boats is that boat tanks are generally much larger than vehicle tanks so the thieves will be more eager find a way of breaking through to get at the rich pickings inside. Even the strongest insert would be no match to a well place mooring pin and lump hammer.

We keep our main tank empty when we are not aboard - that seems to work!

I am, I haven't got one, but someday I shall!!! I even came up with a basic plan of turning a 2CV bodyshell into a canal-going vessel (not an Amphi-car though) a few years back, just so I could have the best of both worlds... :lol:

Now you say that, I think you're right, it would be a bit of a waste of time... :lol:

This just popped into my head, how about a U-bend like on a kitchen sink? that would surely stop the average hose from getting into the tank, and the only diesel they get would be the little pool that forms in the bend, and if they try to hammer it out like you say, they still get nowhere... :lol:

But yes, leaving a tank empty when not in use is a good idea, dunno how it would work on a car or truck though if you've not used everything up... :lol:

Edited by twocvbloke