Braunston Historic Boat Gathering

Hairy-Neil

Featured Posts

Vesta?

I don't recall it but they are slowly revealing themselves to my addled memory banks.

I find it funny that, as the years go by, my short term memory is slowly turning to mush but I can still rattle off useless historical trivia.

I had a great weekend on Beatty. Unfortunately I didn't manage to meet any other forum members.

To add to the list of boats there:

Beatty (Barlow's)

Vesta (Tug)(was definitely there on Saturday)

Starling

Laplander

Lupin

Kent

Pacific No.4 (Tug)

Mecca

(Another) Mecca?

Panther

Olive

Camel

Planet

Swallow?

I will hopefully get some pictures and video up sometime soon.

Edited to remove reference to Nutfield as already stated.

Edited by grunders

What was the general consensus about this year's event? I was there Friday night and Saturday and I dunno, I felt a bit flat about it all. Dunno what it might have been, but I didn't feel so 'into' it as last year. Maybe because I didn't get a ride round this time and most of the (few) people I would have loved to chin-wag with were pretty much pre-occupied with things whenever I was about?

Edited to say: take (few) in context - I don't know many of those involved so it was those unknown to me whom I'd have loved to chat with that i never seemed to be around at an appropriate moment.

Edited by Denis R

What was the general consensus about this year's event? I was there Friday night and Saturday and I dunno, I felt a bit flat about it all. Dunno what it might have been, but I didn't feel so 'into' it as last year. Maybe because I didn't get a ride round this time and most of the (few) people I would have loved to chin-wag with were pretty much pre-occupied with things whenever I was about?

I didn't feel the usual enthusiasm. The long wait (over 2 hours) before the parade started and we set off was annoying because we didn't really know what was happening, didn't help.

I think it may have outgrown the venue, though that could be helped by better organisation and, maybe, having two different parades, am and pm, instead of all the boats setting off at once.

I avoided my annual row at the Raymond stand. Can someone explain to me what that boat does, that is any different to all the privately owned boats which attend, every year, that warrants it getting the lion's share of money raised?

I'm 99% sure that Stork wasn't there.

I think the second C&C boat was skylark.

Edited by carlt

Dunno what it might have been, but I didn't feel so 'into' it as last year.

The commentry wasn't what I remember in previous years, though not been for the last 3 - 4 The guy was reading from a sheet and appeared to have little general knowledge of the subject of old boats.....if it wasn't written down on his sheet he had little ability to ad lib. Both days too, the commentary just seemed to end abruptly, long before the parade completed.

The weekend was billed as a Middle Northwich 'reunion', yet the relevant boats were not pointed out in the parade.

I think the second C&C boat was skylark.

I think I'll confirm that....

The commentry wasn't what I remember in previous years, though not been for the last 3 - 4 The guy was reading from a sheet and appeared to have little general knowledge of the subject of old boats.....if it wasn't written down on his sheet he had little ability to ad lib. Both days too, the commentary just seemed to end abruptly, long before the parade completed.

The weekend was billed as a Middle Northwich 'reunion', yet the relevant boats were not pointed out in the parade.

Yes the commentator wasn't at all knowledgable, compared to previous years.

As a 'first timer' on Saturday I thought it was a great -- if somewhat shambolic -- event. We joined a crowd of camera-wielders at the entrance to the marina who were clearly waiting for something to happen but no-one seemed to know when or what (even those who'd been before were a bit vague). No commentary at all until David Suchet finally hove into view and declared it all open. Then boats started moving about in an entertaining day-long log-jam.

But walking up and down the towpath we saw some great sights -- and some amusing ones, too, as unaware pleasure boaters found themselves caught up in it all.

I think the only thing I'd ask for is a bit more information on display on some of the private boats. You can ask but not if the crew are off in the beer tent! Some great info posted up on one boat (sorry, forget which one), included fascinating stuff on 'how to start a Kelvin engine'. I'd love to see more of that and I'm sure the less knowledgeable punters would too.

Overall, great day out and wonderful boats. Just tell me where that ice-breaker with the ruddy great ram on the front hangs out, though, and I'll steer well clear!!

And as CarlT noticed, star billing went to Raymond as usual

I guess they kind of expected that, if it's the 50th anniversary of launch - in which case why bill the event a Middle Northwich Re-union and not a 'Raymond 50th Anniversary' gig?

I think far more exciting for me was Carl's news from the week before that Lucy now has a future!

The commentary was pretty dire this year, whereas in the past I think we've suffered a bit of commentary overload at times!

This was only my third year, but I found it rather disappointing on the boat front - although the social aspect improves every year - I put that down to going on the Sunday rather than the Saturday this time. It sounds as if the Saturday was rather more hectic. Sorry not to have seen and said hello to anyone from here... if you were there then. It was still wonderful though.

<Snipped>

Some great info posted up on one boat (sorry, forget which one), included fascinating stuff on 'how to start a Kelvin engine'. I'd love to see more of that and I'm sure the less knowledgeable punters would too.

<snipped>

That was Owl if I remember correctly.

Here is a selection of pictures, click on the thumbnails to get a larger version.

sany0027ee3.th.jpgsany0028xm4.th.jpgsany0031tn7.th.jpgsany0039ma1.th.jpgsany0074it4.th.jpgsany0081to5.th.jpg

sany0093nn3.th.jpgsany0099fc3.th.jpgsany0110ki7.th.jpgsany0117dw3.th.jpgsany0122mp0.th.jpgsany0125ps5.th.jpg

sany0132xv9.th.jpgsany0145cp1.th.jpg

Click on the text to see the last one:

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany0148zt0.jpg

Edited by grunders