Braunston Historic Boat Gathering

Hairy-Neil

Featured Posts

Thought it was GU this year? Those are the dates I have too though, no idea where I got them from, it's been in the diary for months. Is anyone going to suggest a Braunston Banter, or are we above such things down in these rarified parts of the forum?

I don't think PLOVER will be going !

Indeed. Saw it yesterday. It's now completely in half as they cut the base plate to make it easier to put back together. Doesn't look like any other damage has been caused (as if it being split in two isn't enough!!) Hopefully be quite easy to put back together.

28 & 29 June – The sixth Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally.

This year the theme will be GUCC / Barlows / Blue Line boats, with a special celebration of the 50th anniversary of the launching (just here) of Raymond in 1958.

This is now THE historic narrowboat rally with a record attendance last year of 80 historic narrowboats.

28 & 29 June – The sixth Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally.

This year the theme will be GUCC / Barlows / Blue Line boats, with a special celebration of the 50th anniversary of the launching (just here) of Raymond in 1958.

This is now THE historic narrowboat rally with a record attendance last year of 80 historic narrowboats.

Is that the first relaunch of a rebuilt Raymond or the second relaunch of a rebuilt Raymond??

:lol:

Is that the first relaunch of a rebuilt Raymond or the second relaunch of a rebuilt Raymond??

Raymond was launched as a new boat on 2nd June 1958 in the arm at Braunston. It was the last wooden unpowered working boat launched in this country.

The rebuilt Raymond was launched at Tardebigge on 2nd April 2000.

I was really looking forward to going to Braunston this year but my inconsiderate sister has decided to have her hen night on that weekend, and hence, no car :lol:

Unless I can talk a mate into going down, hope you have a nice time!

Well, those of us who are going to Braunston anyway, it might be nice to meet up for a drink?

We'll be taking Dove for the first time, not be finished, but she'll get there under her own power. your're welcome for a chat and a pint.

Andrew

Raymond was launched as a new boat on 2nd June 1958 in the arm at Braunston. It was the last wooden unpowered working boat launched in this country.

Raymond was a rebuilt boat, relaunched in 1958.

As far as I'm aware Lucy was the last scratch-built wooden working narrow boat, commissioned by Sir John Knill and launched in 1953.

Built using irons from an older boat tho, so was she really a new boat or was she just a rebuild??

Discuss.

Lol carl beat me to it.

Built using irons from an older boat tho, so was she really a new boat or was she just a rebuild??

Discuss.

It's an interesting point because Saturn and Severn were both rebuilt, from scratch, with the laying of new bottoms, using old ironwork, so have as much right to the title as Raymond (Severn is even still used as a working boat).

It's an interesting point because Saturn and Severn were both rebuilt, from scratch, with the laying of new bottoms, using old ironwork, so have as much right to the title as Raymond (Severn is even still used as a working boat).

Surely Severn is a motor boat....... :lol: But then, Gifford got similar treatment when it was replicated in the mid 90's

Is it at this event they were hoping to assemble as many as possible of the Middle Northwich boats ?

Or have I got confused, and is that a different event ?

I saw Tycho as Bulbourne works a few weeks back. First time I've seen one with the full ice-breaking ram still in place. You certainly wouldn't want to get hit by it at speed.

Also we also just saw (converted) Theophilus down at Little Venice. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if most of it's timber superstructure isn't what it had when operating as a hire boat back in the 1970s, although I guess it's more likely to have had a renewal since.

I think its time for a gathering of ex-hireboats, Such as the old Wyvern Boats from the 70's with their water tanks on the roof......Didnt they used to have an ex-icebreaker? I seem to recall a low narrow bow on one of their boats

I think its time for a gathering of ex-hireboats, Such as the old Wyvern Boats from the 70's with their water tanks on the roof......Didnt they used to have an ex-icebreaker? I seem to recall a low narrow bow on one of their boats

I don't think there are any left with the roof top tanks, still in place. I have got a few of Mabel & Forget-me-not's tanks, if anyone wants to build a replica, though.

I may be wrong but wasn't Wyvern's ice breaker called Princess?? Edited to say it was Princess, after finding a thread with this piccie, of a Wyvern rooftop tank::

Cleo73Leir.JPG

Photo courtesy of "Keeping up". Hope you don't mind Allan.

Edited by carlt

I have actually within the last couple of years seen one ex Wyvern hireboat with the roof tank still in place. I'm not sure I can recall exactly which, but think it was one of the short (38 foot) ones, either Buttercup or Daisy.

For Wyvern spotters everywhere, the fleet circa 1971 was....

Hazel ("70 foot", 10 berth) - Motorised Nurser's butty.

Bridget (55 foot, 6 Berth) - Ex Severn and Canal Carrying Co - I think it was formerly "Fir".

Olive (55 foot, 8 Berth) - Ex Severn and Canal Carrying Co - I think it was formerly "Beech".

Then 4 new build boats, with different hull styles to see what worked best as a hireboat (all nominally 54 feet & 7 Berth)

Pandora - Horrendous barge syle hull that handled like a cow on roller skates. (BW built hire cruisers based on same hull, I think).

Miranda - OK, but with a square-ish stern rather than rounter counter.

Cleopatra - Much better hull. later standardised on, and much like they still use today.

Sabrina - Similar, and the first to both have a shower (I think), and no roof mounted galvanised water tank.

Princess (45 foot, 6 berth) - Former horse drawn ice-breaker, origins unknown, (to me). Profile in water much like an axe head, and lethal in inexperienced hands, (stopping it in a hurry was a problem!).

Hesperus (40 foot, 6 berth - Ex GUCCCo Middle Northwich "Sextans"

Theophilus (40 foot, 6 berth) - Ex GUCCCo Middle Northwich

(The GUCCCo boats were by far the best handling of the then fleet).

Then 2 new build boats, using the hull they standardised on at the time.

Buttercup (38 foot, 5 birth).

Daisy (38 foot, 4 berth).

I assume most have survived somewhere, but did hear Hazel was in very poor condition now.

I saw Pandora some years ago, in quite rough state, whereas Sabrina can be found up the GU somewhere above Milton Keynes, very well presented.

Of the more interesting boats, I have just seen Theophilus down at Little Venice, and it's possible that much of it's wooden superstructure has survived from Wyvern days, I'm not sure. I've seen recent info about Hesperus/Sextans, but have not seen recent info on Bridget/Fir, Olive/.Beech or the icebreaker Princess. As the latter had a massively thick wrought iron hull, I feel sure it's still out there somewhere.

Anbody know ? (Or does anybody on the forum actually own any of these boats ?.