THAMES red boards up since yesterday

nbtafelberg

Featured Posts

Warning to any thinking of tackling the Thames today , we are at Staines and the red boards were up yesterday, I had Taf just above tickover and going way faster (downstream) than we would normally do. Got to Bell Wier Lock and the lock keeper gave us a red card which basically said "Moor up and wait"

Looking out the window this morning it really is moving so we are going for brecky somewhere and then we'll review the situation.

Things to watch out for

Going upstream - You will find points where you simply may not go forwards, I watched it yesterday, luckily we are going downstream but I saw a couple of narrow boats that really were struggling, especially at the bridges by the royal parks before Old Windsor Lock, there is a LOT of water coming through the bridges.

Weirs before locks - Stay away, I had one catch me due to a very nice chicken sandwidch made by the wife which distracted me. Taf, being 70 foot tends to go awry quite easily if the flow is high. I lost the back towards the weir and had the tiller hard over to get away.

Turning round - if you are going up and turning round it will be a nightmare, if you are going down and turning round, er it will be a nightmare, you will go sideways for a way so make sure there is enough space to do the turn downstream.

Mooring up - Turn round first so you are facing up stream it makes it *MUCH* easier to moor unless you have a massive engine.

Generally - READ the water - look for fast moving bubbles, odd looking water around bends especially on sharp bends.

"Got back to the lock to find that the lock keeper had closed the gates on me. Pulled in at the lock landing and the lock keeper came over with the great news that Benson lock had gone on red in the space of the 5 minutes that it took me to turn."

Is it not the case that the lock keepers can only advise you not to navigate, but if you insist then they cannot stop you?

BTW - at Fobney, you can get over the water flow by standing on the middle rung of the fence and shuffling along to the dry bit.

Edited by WJM

How does the legality work on that then - it is an offence to drive a car without insurance, is it the same for boats?

The Thames is a right of way. The lock keepers can advise you not to travel, but have no legal right to stop you.

I was stuck at Mapledurham for nearly a week last summer. :(

As stated above by others, we are free to move any time we like. The lock keeper will give us a red card and see us on our way. Our boat is our home so we are not into taking chances when those who know the river better than us advise us not to move.

Not sure how we would stand insurance wise if we moved and sank - I suspect the insurance company wouldn't want to know as it would be down to our own stupidity.

How does the legality work on that then - it is an offence to drive a car without insurance, is it the same for boats?

If you were to cause damage after you had been advised to remain tied up, your insurance company could righty say they are not liable for the payout.

The same would apply when you drive home, having failed the MOT and collected a "vehicle dangerous to drive" comment from the tester, even if your old MOT is still current

BTW - at Fobney, you can get over the water flow by standing on the middle rung of the fence and shuffling along to the dry bit.

Thanks for the info but there is no way SWMBO would attempt that idea

Does not really answer my question - driving a car without insurance is an offence - simple.

I often ignore the lock keepers advice, collect my souvenir red card and off I go into the torrent - but I dont believe I am doing anything illegal. Am I?

Does not really answer my question - driving a car without insurance is an offence - simple.

I often ignore the lock keepers advice, collect my souvenir red card and off I go into the torrent - but I dont believe I am doing anything illegal. Am I?

I am sure that you are not doing anything illegal but if you had a miss-hap then I would bet a pound to a penny that your insurance company would use the fact, that you went against best advice, and not pay out.

A couple in a canoe with a child came through Abingdon Lock this morning saying to the lock keeper "We will make our own decisions". I would have asked "What about the kid"

Three kids today were on the river in inflatable boats, no not RIBs, but the sort you use in the pool.

People are dumb, dumb and dumber.

We're stuck with the pair at Shillingford, between Benson and Day's Locks. Been here since Wednesday afternoon. The hope is if nothing further comes down from above Oxford then we'll be on to yellow boards tomorrow at some point.

Its a real pain for us as we're supposed to be picking up in Thrupp tomorrow! :lol: Having to do our guest turnaround in the middle of nowhere is a pain, but what can you do!

It's gonna be a busy week trying to get from here to Warwick by next Saturday, especially if the Cherwell is interfering with things above Oxford. Also having to run the pair on three crew at the moment (being one short), we'll need a rest the following week... except we've got Hatton, Lapworth and Tardebigge.

Grumble over - its frustrating getting stuck and watching £100k gin palaces cruising by on red boards.

It's gonna be a busy week trying to get from here to Warwick by next Saturday, especially if the Cherwell is interfering with things above Oxford. Also having to run the pair on three crew at the moment (being one short), we'll need a rest the following week... except we've got Hatton, Lapworth and Tardebigge.

Busy yes, but far from impossible..... A glance at the log for Nuneaton & Brighton, on the run home from the Worcester National Festival, 1998, shows a 3 man crew (actually 2 men and a lady :lol:, plus help down Hatton ) Lapworth top - Birdingbury Wharf/Stockton top.........Birdingbury Wharf - Aynho.......Aynho - Abingdon, below lock. A week to Warwick could be seen as a relaxing poddle.

Will limit the time you spend tied up on water points somewhat though..... :lol:

Grumble over - its frustrating getting stuck and watching £100k gin palaces cruising by on red boards.

Some of them have twin 200HP engines..... :lol:

its all a bit odd coz ive been checking the state of the river these last few days as we plan to do the ring next week and the EA flood watch has not mentioned any problems on the thames at all, and due to techno probs, the lockies website at teddington was only updated yesterday to say yellow boards where out.

Is there a definitive site somewhere that shows when the lockies are showing red yet the EA dont consider it worth a flood watch

Try this: Clicky

Mike

many thanks for that, i really must learn to try and search sites for several hours instead of expecting obvious links such as...flood watch on the river Thames and nothing obvious showing navigation hazards.....

Thanks again for the link......guess i expect t'internet to do everything for me.

Hopefully the weather is improving and we are set for a flaming june and in a weeks time when we hit the Thames at Brentford it will be as calm as calm can be