Can my old canopies be copied?

Fran

Featured Posts

Has anyone got any suggestions of where I can get my old tatty and leaky canopies copied? A couple of firms I have contacted will only supply their own designed canopies. This means paying for them to measure up and fit new fittings all of which seems unnecessary and very expensive. Thanks Fran

Where abouts are you? We have a lady near us that will make exactly what you want, she's just done a cratch cover for our neighbour from scratch and when we asked about having a new one made she said she could take the old one away and do a copy from that if that's what we wanted. Alternatively, have you got a horsey place near you? Our local livery also does canopies ;)

Where abouts are you? We have a lady near us that will make exactly what you want, she's just done a cratch cover for our neighbour from scratch and when we asked about having a new one made she said she could take the old one away and do a copy from that if that's what we wanted. Alternatively, have you got a horsey place near you? Our local livery also does canopies :(

My boat is near Napton and I am in London. I would be interested to know who this lady is near you and where she operates from. Can you pass her details on to me? Is that allowed? Ta Fran

As someone who makes canopies and covers for a living I learnt a long time ago that using an old tired cover as a template is not worth the trouble as fabrics distort (this varies on the original cloth) in time and you are in danger of duplicating other peoples errors. You are also committed to using fittings that are already on the boat and this is not easy either. I have seen to much work that looks awful for following this route and would be surprised if any 'good' cover maker would recommend it but you may be lucky and end up with something that you are happy with.

Good luck Giles.

I can support Giles comment. I know of a boat where the canopies have gradually shrunk over the years, have been repaired several times and now look tatty, can't be fastened closed and simply need replacing.