Liverpool Canal Link

MartinClark

Featured Posts

The trip through to liverpool may be made a bit less worrysome for boaters who believe any scare stories they may have heard , cctv camera coverage is up and running from at least one bridge in the bootle stretch.

high above the bridge the camera can scan quite a stretch along the towpath with 360% coverage of the area.

• 1 month later...

A series of brand new photos of the Liverpool Canal, taken this week, can be

found starting on this page:

www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll/liverpool-link25.htm

The construction of the Liverpool Canal Link is now complete. British

Waterways is currently undertaking a programme of testing and

commissioning before allowing boaters to use the link. A BW work boat has

made a number of passages through the locks.

New finger pontoons have been installed in Salthouse Dock, adjacent to Albert

Dock, providing visitor moorings for up to 40 narrowboats and 4 wide beam

boats. These will shortly have water and power installed.

Boaters wishing to take their boats to Liverpool should contact BW's Wigan

office (01942 405700) to book a passage from Maghull to Liverpool and to

book a mooring space. There is already a waiting list. The link is expected to

open to boaters around the end of April or beginning of May, although a date

has not yet been finalised.

Anyone planning to arrive from Eastham will need to enter Brunswick Lock,

which is managed by Liverpool Marina (0151 707 6888) and for which there is

a charge (£6 according to their website). You will also need to phone Wigan to

book a pontoon in Salthouse Dock and to let them know if you intend to

continue via the Canal Link and Leeds and Liverpool Canal, as you will need to

book a slot for that.

link538m.jpg

I am glad to say it looks as if it the western end of the Leeds and Liverpool is

going to be busy this year! I understand that Bridgewater licence holders

going to Liverpool will be allowed out of the Bridgewater Canal for 14 days

now.

Don't forget the photos!

Boaters wishing to take their boats to Liverpool should contact BW's Wigan

office (01942 405700) to book a passage from Maghull to Liverpool and to

book a mooring space. There is already a waiting list. The link is expected to

open to boaters around the end of April or beginning of May, although a date

has not yet been finalised.

Yes Wigan were happy to put me on a list and send out info and a form (first-come-first-served) 'at the end of this month'

I want 21st-22nd June. So there. :-)

Regards

PeterScott

I must admit I didnt think it would ever get built. Now its practically all finished I am looking forward to sailing down it.

I still think they missed out on not having a river side walk from Princes Dock up to Salisbury Dock and the market at Stanely Dock.

I must admit I didnt think it would ever get built. Now its practically all finished I am looking forward to sailing down it.

I still think they missed out on not having a river side walk from Princes Dock up to Salisbury Dock and the market at Stanely Dock.

The days of the market are soon to be gone i am told , plans did get passed i am sure to make use of the tabacco warehouse as housing.

dont know if the plans are going ahead but i was told the market would soon finish.

The plans that passed showed that the centre of the large warehouse would be demolished to floor level to create a central court and the huge atrium down the centre would allow natural light into the apartments created on all floors.

the small warehouse i think was going altogether.

Yes Wigan were happy to put me on a list and send out info and a form (first-come-first-served) 'at the end of this month'

I want 21st-22nd June. So there. :-)

Regards

PeterScott

Same with us, the lady at Wigan said it would be about 23rd. March for the info to be sent out.

We are hoping to go there at the start of June, hopefully the schools will not be on hols then so we at least stand a chance of getting there.

Happy boating,

Colin

The plans that passed showed that the centre of the large warehouse would be demolished to floor level to create a central court and the huge atrium down the centre would allow natural light into the apartments created on all floors.

the small warehouse i think was going altogether.

I thought that the problem with the Tobacco Warehouse was that the room heights were designed for stacking tobacco and were too low to conform with modern building regs. The early plans did have a central atrium to let in enough light to make the place habitable, but there was no easy way around the ceiling height. The building is vast, and I don't know where they would get enough people to buy a flat to make it economic.

The plans that peel have for the area around stanley dock promises a skyline that will consist of huge apartment blocks , they expect it all to work so in the big picture the amount of apartments that the warehouse converts to is small.

two access points are by stairs but a ramp was /is adjacent at one end of the pontoons for them who need easier access.

You can just walk round onto the pontoon via a gentle ramp from the Duckmarine slipway, just about visible in this photo.

link607.jpg

The pontoons are not behind locked gates, but passers-by would have to choose to walk down the steps to reach them. There are chains hooked across the top of the steps to deter casual visitors but they didn't stop me from getting onto the pontoons to take photos!

link606.jpg

There is a wall separating the very busy road from the walkway along the dock side, which should help to reduce the traffic noise levels for those on the moorings. Notice from the photo above that Paradise Street bus station is just across the main road from the dock, and the Liverpool One shopping centre is just beyond that - so very conveniently located.

Martin do you know what is planned regarding water -elsan - pump out ect.

Shower and toilet at eldonian , cant remember if it has an elsan or if the manhole cover was removed in order to empty cassette.

last time a large number of boats "coal and cotton" arrived some boaters decided to phone the local radio show to complain that the council was not doing enough to make them welcome by provideing free pump outs .

Martin do you know what is planned regarding water -elsan - pump out ect.

I am told that water will be installed on the pontoons. I don't know about Elsan / pump out arrangements. Maybe you will have to use the facilities at Eldonian on the way in and on the way out. Or maybe take a trip down through the docks to Liverpool Marina, although I don't know what is on offer there, and they will probably have a charge for use of any facilities.

over the next few weeks radio merseyside have a number of canal related features on air.

they deal with the new link and also the canal in general at liverpool end , bw i imagine are involved in some way ,probably interviews about the link and south docks .

i dont have the details as yet but i have asked if they can supply times dates ect of when stuff is aired.

Last year the link opening would have needed to be squeezed into all the 08 events , it was never meant to open in 08 as far as i know.

not only was the link not ready but the approach to it along the canal through litherland and bootle ect was getting lots of work done .

DSCF0073.jpg

marsh lane bridge ,new access point and cctv camera installed , other bridges have had the same works carried out.

DSCF0064.jpg

these are the sort of information plaques going up in bootle , got to walk it myself to see what else has been improved.

DSCF0067.jpg

edit to add- the toffeee from here was top class ,chocolate logs , coconut toffee teacakes and chocolate eclairs ,all with double the flavour essence when i boiled the toffee.

Edited by gaggle

A media event will take place on the link shortly , radio merseyside i thought said this thursday they would be aboard maggie may narrowboat on the link.

bw at wigan say not ,it is the folowing week and five boats only from mersey motor boat club will take part , these boats i am advised by bw were chosen by the boat club and not bw.

this is a media event and the opening is not to the general boating public.

anyone interested in photographing or filming the event should contact bw north west at wigan for details as some differences in times dates seem to be going out.

A media event will take place on the link shortly , radio merseyside i thought said this thursday they would be aboard maggie may narrowboat on the link.

bw at wigan say not ,it is the folowing week and five boats only from mersey motor boat club will take part , these boats i am advised by bw were chosen by the boat club and not bw.

this is a media event and the opening is not to the general boating public.

anyone interested in photographing or filming the event should contact bw north west at wigan for details as some differences in times dates seem to be going out.

I do hope that Mersey Boat Club include at least one narrowboat ,rather than a flotilla of yohurt pots

The radio presenter stated they would be with the "narrowboat maggie may".

bw say this media event has only been known about for a few days , i find that hard to believe i said ,they then said ok we have known about it for about ten days.

they then had no idea why the office they control and work from told myself and others nothing was planned and that no statement as to the opening would be made until 25th march.