dinghy licence

gab

Featured Posts

hi everyone!! :D this might sound thick, but, i want to get a dinghy and go along the River Soar this summer, its pretty much a spur of the moment thing, do i need any kind of licence/permission/permit to do this???? Please help!! thank yooo!!

Hi

Yes you will need a licence; application forms can be obtained from the waterscape web pages or from a waterway office or even some boatyards/marinas. The licence for a portable unpowered craft is £37.22 (33.50 if purchased in advance) for 12 months. unpowered craft which are not portable attract the same licence fee as powered boats. alternatively you can purchase short term licences in multiples of 1 day/1week/1month 1 day river only for portable unpowered craft = £2.09 but has to be purchased in advance or on the day again available as above. Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your boating

On EA Waterways eg The Great Ouse, where I moor, the tender also has to be licensed at the same rate as a separate vessel of its class - except that it is not given its own unique registration number, it is given the "parent boats number/tender" on the licence which must be stuck on it somewhere. On the Great Ouse system a small dinghy would be a "Manually propelled vessel up to 5m in length". It can have an auxiliary engine ie outboard of not more than 4HP at no extra cost. This year's fee is £19.98.

The only issue as to how far it can go from the parent vessel etc relates to marina fees. Some marinas will charge for it if it is left in the water - and/or charge for the extra length of the parent boat if it is hanging off the back end.

Mike

At the end of the day there will be no enforcement if an unlicensed dinghy is used in a local area and wheeled round locks.

Does that mean it's ok to licence dodge if you've only got a small boat?

If your dinghy is a 'Tender to..." what is the licensing requirement? How big can a tender be and how near to the mothership must it be to remain legal?

BW told me that a "tender to...." disc is only issued to river only licences.

"BW told me that a "tender to...." disc is only issued to river only licences"

Sounds logical - it is hard to think why you would need a tender on a canal.

You should try doing the Ashby, drawing over 3'. Sometimes we were moored so far from the towpath a plank just wasn't enough.

thank you, but im still a little confused as i have emailed a few other people and this is one of their replies

Hello Gabrielle,

You do not need any kind of license or permission unless you use a motor. Then you need to have your dinghy registered.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Amanda

so im still abit unsure, is this tru or not?? many thanks for your help.

Gabrielle.

Hi

Yes you will need a licence; application forms can be obtained from the waterscape web pages or from a waterway office or even some boatyards/marinas. The licence for a portable unpowered craft is £37.22 (33.50 if purchased in advance) for 12 months. unpowered craft which are not portable attract the same licence fee as powered boats. alternatively you can purchase short term licences in multiples of 1 day/1week/1month 1 day river only for portable unpowered craft = £2.09 but has to be purchased in advance or on the day again available as above. Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your boating

direct from waterscape

Portable unpowered £37.22

(see below) Prompt payment £33.50

The price for all other unpowered craft is the same as for

powered boats.

PRIVATE PLEASURE BOAT

LONG TERM LICENCE FEES

3, 6 or 12 MONTHS: ENGLAND & WALES: CANALS & RIVERS & RIVERS ONLY

VALID FROM 1 APRIL 2008 TO 31 MARCH 2009

Licences begin on the first day of the month. Prices include VAT at 17.5%, calculated on the prompt payment rate.

The Licence is a legally binding contract, subject to the Terms and Conditions contained in this document.

Licence fees for boats longer than 22.5m available on request.

For our Refund Policy please refer to the Terms & Conditions.

‘Portable’ means that the Boat’s normal crew can, without mechanical help, launch the Boat and take it out of the water.

Examples are rowing boats, dinghies, canoes or light inflatable craft.

British Waterways Customer Service Centre

64 Clarendon Road, Watford WD17 1DA

T 01923 201 120 (Lines open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat 9am-1pm)

F 01923 201 304 enquiries.hq@britishwaterways.co.uk

thank you, but im still a little confused as i have emailed a few other people and this is one of their replies

Hello Gabrielle,

You do not need any kind of license or permission unless you use a motor. Then you need to have your dinghy registered.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Amanda

so im still abit unsure, is this tru or not?? many thanks for your help.

Gabrielle.

Who are the "other people", and specifically Amanda ?

I think Amanda is definitely wrong! If Amanda works for British Waterways, she should know better. ;)

I think Amanda is definitely wrong! If Amanda works for British Waterways, she should know better. ;)

If it's Amanda Strang, Customer Services, then she left BW a couple of years ago. Then again I've received correspondance from dead former BW employees, so nothing would surprise me.

erm i canct actually remeber what website i got it from but her email is info@soar1.com so im guessing its something to do with one of the river soar websites lol!! thanks 4 clearing that up 4 me. :)

Soar1.com is a canoe site so they may have assumed the rules for dinghies are the same as canoes.

If you are a member of the British Canoe Union, your membership counts as a licence (sadly not for your Motor and Butty pair, though).

It's a shame the boating associations aren't such effective lobbyists.

• 4 months later...
can you get gold licences for dinghy/tenders?

A question I was pondering my very self after this weekends antics :lol:

I had an EA 'tender' licence for Ning-Ning, but I'm not sure about how that works for a tender gold licence.

I have to say, in all the time that we towed Ning-Ning around (the right way up Maffi!), the only people that were interested in it were Thames lock staff. No one gave it a thought on the canals.

• 10 years later...

I've never boated before but I'm interested in buying a small inflatable dinghy and attaching a 12volt electric outboard motor to it just to buzz up my local canal (Keadby, North Lincolnshire area), visit a couple of pubs along the way, then back down to the car.

What are the legalities of doing this on the spur of the moment?

4 minutes ago, Budgie Trousers said:

I've never boated before but I'm interested in buying a small inflatable dinghy and attaching a 12volt electric outboard motor to it just to buzz up my local canal (Keadby, North Lincolnshire area), visit a couple of pubs along the way, then back down to the car.

What are the legalities of doing this on the spur of the moment?

I am sure somebody will correct me but the CRT website says:

• All types and size of boat with or without a motor, ie, a river boat, canal boat or houseboat
  • Any small ‘open boat’ such as canoe, paddleboards, rowing boat or dinghy

Need licences.   Also remember when "buzzing" there is a 4 mph maximum speed.

I think there may be an exception if you have a licenced boat and the dinghy is a tender which is normally carried on board.

On 22/05/2008 at 10:28, WJM said:

"BW told me that a "tender to...." disc is only issued to river only licences"

Sounds logical - it is hard to think why you would need a tender on a canal.

My CRT mooring is on the offside with no direct access.  CRT provide a space with a cable to lock a dinghy to.  They do not ask for any formal identification or fee to use the dinghy to cross the canal (Shroppie).

Admittedly it is an unusual situation!

No BSS cert needed for open boat like this with outboard and without gas/electric BUT insurance and licence are necessary for anything from a canoe upwards. Rowing dinghy is a cheap licence as portable unpowered but the motor throws an expensive spanner in the plan. Get a canoe/kayak, pay £45 to the BCU and you're licensed & 3rd party insurance for a year.