More thievery

tosher

Featured Posts

Just had word from a friend in Middlewich of a spate of thefts from boats in that area. It appears that the latest targets are diesel and brass mushroom vents. Watch out!!

This has happened in a number of places including the Nene where a number of boats where completely stripped of everything that could either be metal salvage or saleable. We in our bit of East Anglia had our mooring invaded by travelling folk who attempted to steal metal containers, plant pots etc and then pullled a knife on my partner when confronted. The police were with us with a dog team in less than 10 mins and AFAIK they've been caught as there were a lot of thefts in our area that night and they kept on getting interrupted, photographs, van registration number taken etc. It would appear they are from a caravan park in the Bedford area.

Make sure you've got a locking fuel filler cap, and check your boat reguarly. Always report to the police and get a crime or incident number and if on BW water complete a visitor incident card and make sure the regional safety rep and your local patrol officer gets a copy so they can work with the local police safer neighbourhood teams to try and deter future thefts and more importantly catch the theiving b@$£@^)$.

D

Just had word from a friend in Middlewich of a spate of thefts from boats in that area. It appears that the latest targets are diesel and brass mushroom vents. Watch out!!

Makes you wonder...........the amount of brass in a vent, plus the effort to remove them..........must be some real loser's out there.

Make sure you've got a locking fuel filler cap, and check your boat reguarly. Always report to the police and get a crime or incident number and if on BW water complete a visitor incident card and make sure the regional safety rep and your local patrol officer gets a copy so they can work with the local police safer neighbourhood teams to try and deter future thefts and more importantly catch the theiving b@$£@^)$.

D

Are there any decent ones about? Not the Puffer Parts ones - I don't think they've very good.

Times are changing! Thefts, especially of diesel, are likely to be more prevalent now that road diesel has increased to £1.30 a litre (in this area) and it is probably wise not to leave a boat unattended except on regular visitor moorings or where someone trustworthy is keeping an eye on it.

Edited by NB Alnwick

i had about 3ftx2ft of lead stolen from my bay window recently, 400quid to replace properly, metal is worth a lot nowadays scrap that is. as is copper etc my mate who is a plumber gets about 1k a month just for trading in old copper pipe and cylinders, not bad considering its part of his job to take them away.

Might be an idea to punch an identifying mark on them if this is the way tings are going.

Whilst being forced off the canal in Wolvercote, I had all the windows nicked from a boat I was working on, even knew who did it; Police were useless, and the people were steeling them to sell to build projects. Thankfully after haveng stolen my home, they seem to have given up trying to work on boats and didn't entirely replicate my existance, not that I would chore anything, indeed, neither would I repair a woodern boat with decorators caulk!

This has happened in a number of places including the Nene where a number of boats where completely stripped of everything that could either be metal salvage or saleable. We in our bit of East Anglia had our mooring invaded by travelling folk who attempted to steal metal containers, plant pots etc and then pullled a knife on my partner when confronted. The police were with us with a dog team in less than 10 mins and AFAIK they've been caught as there were a lot of thefts in our area that night and they kept on getting interrupted, photographs, van registration number taken etc. It would appear they are from a caravan park in the Bedford area.

D

Where do you get a locking fuel cap from?

• 8 months later...