Yanmar PMX 6/8 Engines

Featured Posts

A friend of mine recently acquired an old Yanmar PMX6 or 8 engine that he wants to fit into his boat ..... no, I don't know why, either! :P

Anyway, needless to say, it came without any sort of documentation, and now he is trying to track down a service manual for it. I e-mailed a Yanmar dealer in Nantwich for him, but so far they haven't replied .... probably still laughing!

So the question is ..... does anybody know where I might be able to track down any info for this engine? He is quite prepared to pay, so name your price! :P

A friend of mine recently acquired an old Yanmar PMX6 or 8 engine that he wants to fit into his boat ..... no, I don't know why, either! :P

Anyway, needless to say, it came without any sort of documentation, and now he is trying to track down a service manual for it. I e-mailed a Yanmar dealer in Nantwich for him, but so far they haven't replied .... probably still laughing!

So the question is ..... does anybody know where I might be able to track down any info for this engine? He is quite prepared to pay, so name your price! :P

theres a runner for sale in the ad trader listings its advertised as running and its only 50 quid.. it may come with a manual or at least some insider knowledge also think of the spares as they are difficult to get

• 6 years later...

Hmm, as far as I know the PMX6 and PMX8 engines are really designed for workboats and fishing boats. It looks as if they are intended to be fitted amidships where the sailor can operate the levers and where the engine weight (these are heavy) will not affect the trim of the boat. Nowadays most people will want something that is lighter and more elegant. On the other hand when one looks at the cost of a new Yanmar 1GM10 the PMX will probably be seen in a different light!

At least the PMX is a proper diesel and not a semi-diesel so no blow lamp is required for starting! Good luck!