Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Jon

The best waterside pubs

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

Just wondering which waterside pubs you have been to / recommend.

My favourite is 'The Blue Lias Inn' in Stockton, on the Grand Union Canal, nr Leamington. Food is pricey but really tasty, and the beer garden is fantastic! Serves a range of local real ales.

Jon

• Greenie 1

The Admiral Nelson - 3rd Lock Up/4th Lock Down Braunston Flight on the Grand Union. A busy pub in the summer but serves decent beer and good food at reasonable prices.

Scoff.gif

Hi All

It's not really a pub but the lock keepers house at Cowley Lock you will find a warm welcome and a *VERY* good hot meal for hardly any money.

Forget the pub next door - head straight for Paul, Wayne and Shirley's. I have to also mention that what they don't know about Narrow Boats isn't really worth knowing.

Best so far is The Navigation at Brewood, extensive menu, excellent beer and good value. The Boat just up the way a little is pretty good too.

Worst so far is The Shroppie at Audlem. Kak.

If it's still there, the Anchor Inn, at High Offley on the Shroppie.

I'd be interested to know if it is still there, as a proper pub these days, or if it's become a 'restaurant with a bar' like so many others :-(

Also the Greyhound as Sutton's stop, but I suspect this will have changed a lot with all the new development around there.

Anchor still there, still has no pumps and they still bring the beer up from the cellar in jugs, still the same as it has been for god alone knows how long. Probably same dearie behind the bar, apparently been in the family for 100 years or so.

No food

No kids

Not open all day

My nomination is a bit retrospective.

The BIRD IN HAND on the canalside at Scholar Green on the Macclesfield canal.

The pub is no longer there, it was bought and turned into two very small anonymous houses many years ago.

It is criminal that this pub was not given some form of listed status and protected. The building pre-dates the canal by a couple of centuries and was converted originally for the benefit of the canal builders, later becoming known by working boatmen all over the country.

I remember the pub as being the most basic I have ever known, no pumps or even a bar, the beer was dispensed from a big enamel jug, and the left-over linoleum from the floor was used to cover the crude tables. There was always a line of boats outside and you often struggled to find a place to moor. Two posh pubs in the village being empty. The building is now in a sad derilict condition, the conversion to housing having failed miserably after just a few years.

A good project for BW and their big brewery chums, but I suspect they will prefer to concentrate on producing Macdonalds type pub/ restaurants with playgrounds in the garden.

John Squeers.

Edited by John Orentas

Anchor still there, still has no pumps and they still bring the beer up from the cellar in jugs, still the same as it has been for god alone knows how long. Probably same dearie behind the bar, apparently been in the family for 100 years or so.

No food

No kids

Not open all day

Excellent, long may it continue.

The Anchor at Offley does have food - if you count crisps, peanuts and pork scratchings! Otherwise, it is as it has been for many, many years - thank goodness.

The Greyhound at Sutton's Stop (Hawkesbury Junction) is still there but has changed quite dramatically. Bars have been knocked through and trippers visit it in large numbers for the pies. It's probably better off-season.

Wouldnt mind it being open all day though eh? Everytime I go pass it seems to be too late or too early. Hardly ever catch it open. :rolleyes:

I went in there once, they didn't have cheese and onion crisps and no playground for Tarquin and Samanther. What sort of pub do you call that !

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

I call it a great pub - no cheese and onion crisps - bliss!

You just have to time your trip properly - lunch time or evening. And it's worth it!

The Greyhound at Hawkesbury. I would gladly drive from my home in Surrey for one of their pies!

Steve Sugg

Can't remember the name of the pub ( must've been good), but it's at the bottom of the Napton flight at the top of the Oxford.

Good food, open fire, cosy.

That'll be the Folly Inn by Folly Bridge. We stopped there a year ago - a cold autumn evening - the fire was good and the beer acceptable but the food was disappointing. It may just have been that it was a quiet mid-week night because I have heard others praise the food.

The Napton Bridge Inn by Napton Bridge has been converted from a pub that did food to a restaurant with a bar (no saloon, public or snug here) and would not need the exacting standards of traditionalists such as Maffi. However, the food is very, very good.

The malt house in crum is a bit iffy - good food, but all under 18s are chucked out at 7ish

:blink::lol:<_<:PB):rolleyes:

Edited by Sam

And that's just as it should be! Out on the step with 'em. Give 'em a bottle of pop and an arrowroot biscuit, I say.

Where's Crum Sam? I've been to most places on the cut but not there.

That'll be the Folly Inn by Folly Bridge. We stopped there a year ago - a cold autumn evening - the fire was good and the beer acceptable but the food was disappointing. It may just have been that it was a quiet mid-week night because I have heard others praise the food.

The Napton Bridge Inn by Napton Bridge has been converted from a pub that did food to a restaurant with a bar (no saloon, public or snug here) and would not need the exacting standards of traditionalists such as Maffi. However, the food is very, very good.

I went to the Folly Inn during June, and found the food to be great. May be you just had a bad night? Its a nice atmosphere too. When I was there, a group of boaters were gathered in the bar singing along to folk tunes, accopmanied by a guitarist.

I think if you are planning on mooring outside, you need to be there early?

Jon

I think he mean Brum, as in Birmingham!

Jon

The Malthouse, Brum

"Attracting a fairly bland but safe crowd during the day, this is the type of place you can take your folks to for a quiet drink. As traditional as this part of town gets, well traditional in that you can see wooden beams, but if you can you should bag a seat by the canal and take it easy over a few pints. Best to get the parents out before the weekend however, unless you want to run the risk of having to watch them throw some shapes to the cheesy disco which takes over the place."

Sounds awful!!

John

(Although I reluctantly agree that pubs with play areas and restaurants with a bar have their place, give me a proper pub any day - can you get a preservation order an a pub (not just the building, but the spirit (no pun intended) as well?))

Not just one pub but dozens of them. The newly restored Rochdale Canal. Cruise from Soweby Bridge to Toddmorden and beyond, it seems as though there is a pub at every lock and there's a lot of locks, real pubs, real ale no 'Kids eat free'.

When you get the oportunity make a point of cruising the Rocdale it really is worth the effort, it is like no other canal.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

I know someone has already voted, but my vote goes to the 'Blue Lias' a fantastic place. We turned up with 19 hungry and thirsty sixth formers (and 3 staff) during the summer, the staff were fantastic!

Not sure it was that expensive (certainly not by Dorset standards), they had Tiger on at 1.50 (nice), there were a few sore heads the following day. Not to mention a few broken hearts as the quality of the girls behind the bar was voted the best out of all teh hostelries we went to!

There are 2 others, 'The Three Magpies' at the bottom of the Caen Hill Flight. After a really wet and miserable day we had a warm welcome and good standard pub food. Also one of the two in Cropredy - not the one by the lock, the other one. Fantastic food - pricey though, and we had to book. They didn't bat an eyelid when we turned up with two small people - respect! Nice to see Wychwood in there too.

After a long days cruising - any pub. But have to agree that the Anchor on the Shroppie is just fantastic. Lots of atmosphere, and beer in a jug from the celler.

One to avoid - the Badger at Church Minshull on the Middlewich link (Shroppie to T & M). Called in their this summer. Beer is OK(no better) but food absolute c**p. After two meals sent back to kitchen (fish raw, etc) they eventually admitted that their "three times award winning chef" was not on duty - on a Saturday night, for God's sake. Instead the food was being heated through in a microwave by the 16 year old waiter. It had a good write up in Nicholson's but has since changed hands.

Also goodis the White Hart at South Kilworth (on thew Leicester branch of the GU. Its a bit of a walk (about a mile) but a charming and friendly family run village pub with good beers and a limited but good unpretentious menu (and no, I'm not on commission).

Graham Blott

NB Mayenne