Sealing Inspection Cover For Integral Water Tank

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

No its a foam unless I posted the wrong link. I best go and check

I reckon you gave a bad link, I purchased some solid neoprene by mistake, cant think of anything to do with it. Will maybe keep it for one more year then bin it ?

...........Dave

47 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I wouldnt use that, the foam, once compressed does the job far better.

Sorry wrong link

1 hour ago, dmr said:

That looks like solid neoprene rather than neoprene foam. Solid neoprene is quite hard, are you happy you got a good seal????

I used nasty black butyl rubber stuff but next time I will go for neoprene foam.

..............Dave

It was this stuff I think I used 5mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203476801724?hash=item2f602998bc:g:LoUAAOSwSEJfBMbn

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry wrong link

It was this stuff I think I used 5mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203476801724?hash=item2f602998bc:g:LoUAAOSwSEJfBMbn

There is a lot of neoprene foam on eBay. I have done some of my porthole gaskets in it, including all the little pidgun box portholes. It works well.

There is a little bit of open cell foam about so make sure you get the closed cell stuff.

..........Dave

I chose not to use foam to seal mine as I was concerned that dirty water might enter by capillary action, or just leaks as it ages.  So I used a silicone sealer suitable for drinking water.  However I have not had reason to reopen the tank, so I don’t know how easy that will be…………….

19 hours ago, LittleOuse said:

Going to use neoprene strip to seal, as recommended by our local Boatyard we bought 2.5cm wide and 3mm thick.

It's not oot pure neoptene, Amazon description:

Material
Environmental protection material, CR foam, Neoprene, toxic free

Basically Boatyard uses windows draft excluder on their mushrooms (along with screws) as the adhesive/sealant is incredibly hard to get off again if you need - they advised using it . Although I am considering adding a clear lfexible bathroom sealant to the edge as extra protection.