Can anyone identify...

AMModels

Featured Posts

I'll have a look later, and see what the histories of Berkhamsted, (rather than Wiki), have to say on the subject.

Alan

Anorak's Corner, (Great) Berkhamsted

And you questioned the extrememity of my pedantry.

Would it be worth checking the spelling in a copy Bradshaws railway gazeteer? The origins are thought to be rail connected...

And you questioned the extrememity of my pedantry.

Would it be worth checking the spelling in a copy Bradshaws railway gazeteer? The origins are thought to be rail connected...

LOL

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Bradshaws, (either the version with or without an apostrophe!).

Here's Hadley from the other end.

I didn't notice it at the time, but it looks like it's been "re-countered", with no attempts to simulate rivets ? (Might just be a trick of the light I guess). My brother's boat Bilster was like this, (and I believe still is ?).

Hadley.jpg

Here's Hadley from the other end.

I didn't notice it at the time, but it looks like it's been "re-countered", with no attempts to simulate rivets ? (Might just be a trick of the light I guess).

Hadley.jpg

I hope that doesn't imply criticism (the lack of washers)?

I'll happily simulate rivets if doing welded repairs on a rivetted boat, but just as happy not to - there's nowt wrong with an honest welded repair :lol:

Tim

I hope that doesn't imply criticism (the lack of washers)?

Not at all !

Bilster's current counter was a replacement my brother had done in the 1970s, (I have absolutely no idea by whom).

I don't think anyone would even have dreamt of faking "rivets" on such work, then.

It may not have mirrored the 1930s, but allowed him to start carrying with it - something that was a bit fraught until that point, as you could see through both counter and uxter plate.

It's great now when things get done to match the original, (e.g. Sickle), but I have no issue with boats that have been put into good order by welding.

(I'll even accept a new replica main line steam locomotive with a an all welded rather that riveted boiler!).

Does anybody know what engine's in George, by the way ?

It sounded pretty awesome.

Not at all !

Bilster's current counter was a replacement my brother had done in the 1970s, (I have absolutely no idea by whom).

I don't think anyone would even have dreamt of faking "rivets" on such work, then.

It may not have mirrored the 1930s, but allowed him to start carrying with it - something that was a bit fraught until that point, as you could see through both counter and uxter plate.

It's great now when things get done to match the original, (e.g. Sickle), but I have no issue with boats that have been put into good order by welding.

(I'll even accept a new replica main line steam locomotive with a an all welded rather that riveted boiler!).

Does anybody know what engine's in George, by the way ?

It sounded pretty awesome.

Bolinders 20hp

(with gearbox)

Mary has (or had) an Armstrong AS2

Tim

These aren't teasers for the testing, as I genuinely don't know, or have forgotten the names.

The following were taken in the late eighties during some distance cruising and they may well have changed since then.

No1. Somewhere on the Shroppie IIRC

Pict0020.jpg

Pict0019.jpg

No2. I'm sure this was tied at Middlewich. Very straight, makers nameplate on the engine room

bulkhead, and recall the name 'Vesta', 'Vectis' or 'Venus', but can't remember. Distinctive rib over the cabin.

Vesta3.jpg

Vesta2.jpg

Vesta1.jpg

No3. Another Josher, this time somewhere on the Leeds and Liverpool.

UnknownLL.jpg

These aren't teasers for the testing, as I genuinely don't know, or have forgotten the names.

The following were taken in the late eighties during some distance cruising and they may well have changed since then.

No2. I'm sure this was tied at Middlewich. Very straight, makers nameplate on the engine room

bulkhead, and recall the name 'Vesta', 'Vectis' or 'Venus', but can't remember. Distinctive rib over the cabin.

Vesta3.jpg

Vesta2.jpg

Vesta1.jpg

No2 is deinitely the wooden Small Woolwich Venus, a year or three after this:-

Venus-1.jpg

Venus-2.jpg

Tim

No1. Somewhere on the Shroppie IIRC

Pict0020.jpg

Pict0019.jpg

No1 looks like a steamer or early motor boat. The Empress springs to mind as she used to be based on the Shroppie and had quite a bit done to her in the 'nineties.

I don't think she's the one though. Empress has some old rivetted doublers in way of the foreward engineroom bulkhead, Port side, I can't see those in the pic though that could be a trick of the light. The little rivetted repair between the guards on the foreend in the pic ought to be diagnostic, it rings a bell but I can't remember where.

Tim

And looking a credit to your workmanship Tim. (Venus)

Its not Empress/Emporer I have some pics of her around 88-91 and she had a longer cabin and the upsweep at the starn is more pronounced, Id hazard that its a Yarwoods josher as the foreend is less bulbous than a Saltley boat...but I have been known to be wrong.

Edited by AMModels

Its not Empress/Emporer I have some pics of her around 88-91 and she had a longer cabin and the upsweep at the starn is more pronounced, Id hazard that its a Yarwoods josher as the foreend is less bulbous than a Saltley boat...but I have been known to be wrong.

Empress had her cabin/engine room extended back to steamer length at some stage probably round about then.

Empress-1.jpg

Tim

If they were wooden, of course, they'd be on the bonfire.

Or maybe with the WCBS, although some on the forum seem to think the bonfire the better option. :lol:

Back on topic, I've only recently become aware of what's happening with the three metal boats mentioned, (plus Barnet ?).

From other sources, there does seem to be a degree of concern about the whole thing, so some more information about the project would be "interesting".

Or maybe with the WCBS, although some on the forum seem to think the bonfire the better option. :lol:

Back on topic, I've only recently become aware of what's happening with the three metal boats mentioned, (plus Barnet ?).

From other sources, there does seem to be a degree of concern about the whole thing, so some more information about the project would be "interesting".

As someone who joined in the debate, "in another place" , I'll stick my two pennorth in straight off.

Whilst every effort to preserve working boats is to be applauded, public (ha!), private or charitable, I feel the acquisition of boats, unconnected with the BCN, to be restored to promote the BCN, is misguided, especially as it is so unclear what the actual aim is.

There are far more worthy, and relevant, boats out there that are at risk. A steel/iron woolwich or Northwich motor won't struggle to find a home and neither are particularly scarce.

Asking for charitable contributions for such a venture seems to be saying "Could you fund my hobby?".

It's the Pinner.

I'll second the Pinner.

Last time I was at Bradley the tug 'Birmingham' was there too, with heritage lottery plans to resurect it. What ever became of that project?

Or maybe with the WCBS, .....

There may be some who will be pleased to note that WCBS are 'full' and have no plans to expand the collection....

Asking for charitable contributions for such a venture seems to be saying "Could you fund my hobby?".

The Narrow Boat Trust's BOD took a close look at this issue about 10 years ago when there was a charities commission shake up and reinvented themselves to fit the charity parameters.....

A steel/iron woolwich or Northwich motor won't struggle to find a home and neither are particularly scarce.

There are still plenty being carved up and converted. In the absence of a 'listed boat' status, at least the charity boats are unlikely to go down this route...... though the NBT did fit a 'modern' engine to Nuneaton 8 years ago, contrary to the "Preserve and Restore" statement in their reason for existance.

Edited by Hairy-Neil