Can anyone identify...

AMModels

Featured Posts

Some pics of them, in Charity Dock. Apologies for the quality, the prints were rescued from a sunken boat:

99b0f47Ap7zuKrJAeA0jI0xdpftSGHQEbNfgv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

That length of top plank was due for replacement when they left here, over 20 years ago, and the new owners were made fully aware of the fact :lol:

Unless Tony repainted the window panels after they left here, they were not neccessarily all his work.

Yes it's good that someone is looking after them again, but it's still sad to see them looking like that after being intimately involved with keeping them afloat (and smart!) for around 20 years.

Tim

Well, in 1999 they were sunk and BW were ready with the dredgers.

Ironically, coinciding with them being the "cover girls" of BW's "Your views matter" (or whatever it was called) propaganda campaign.

The previous owners let them go and the current ones are bringing them back.

• 1 month later...

OK a random selection snapped on our recent trip.

Some I know what they are, some I think I know what they are, and some I'm just, well, clueless.

I haven't obscured things that might be read if you blow them up, so if you want to cheat, then fine!

Number 1.

The front boat is named, and I'm 95% sure I know the rear one. (Easy one to start)

Northwich_at_the_back.jpg

Number 2

This pair were at same location, if that helps

Grand_Union_Pair.jpg

Number 3

OK there's a BW number, but does anyone know without looking it up

Big_Woolwich_1.jpg

Number 4

I guess Phil Speight could help here

Phil_Speights_Yard.jpg

Number 5

A forum member's boat, (I think it's even an avatar).

Forum_Boat.jpg

Number 6

Un-named butty

Butty_1.jpg

Number 7

I'd kill for this - it looked superb with it's wooden cabin in a way that ones given a steel cabin never quite manage to.

Big_Woolwich_2.jpg

Number 8

Boats on the River Soar

Front one is named - what's the middle one ?

Boats_on_the_Soar.jpg

Number 9

Shame about those fenders - I know where the other end of this one is....

Shortened_Motor_1.jpg

Number 10

One I remember from years ago

Small_Woolwich_1.jpg

Number 11

I'm now led to believe one of these may not be what it's claimed to be.

Large_Woolwich_Pair_1.jpg

That's it for the moment, but I'll see if I can finf some more.

(Sorry Carl, nothing wooden in there, I think....)

Alan

Alan

You seem to have randomised the route to confuse us :lol:

No1 Dragon (obviously) and Renfrew??

The one in Bridgewater colours I know, just can't drag the name up from the memory banks yet

...edited to add that it's the Ceres...

No6 Fulbourne?

No7 might be Alperton, but that wouldn't fit with what I've managed to deduce of where you had been.

Edited again to say I got the numbering wrong, the above would be 5 & 6

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Some I know what they are, some I think I know what they are, and some I'm just, well, clueless.

I haven't obscured things that might be read if you blow them up, so if you want to cheat, then fine!

Number 1. Renfrew

The front boat is named, and I'm 95% sure I know the rear one. (Easy one to start)

Northwich_at_the_back.jpg

Number 2 Aquilla & Bingley

This pair were at same location, if that helps

Grand_Union_Pair.jpg

Number 3

OK there's a BW number, but does anyone know without looking it up

Big_Woolwich_1.jpg

Number 4 Ceres (Letchworth/Flamingo inside)

I guess Phil Speight could help here

Phil_Speights_Yard.jpg

Number 5 Fulbourne

A forum member's boat, (I think it's even an avatar).

Forum_Boat.jpg

Number 6

Un-named butty Bideford (by elimination)

Butty_1.jpg

Number 7 Cassiopia (from your description)

I'd kill for this - it looked superb with it's wooden cabin in a way that ones given a steel cabin never quite manage to.

Big_Woolwich_2.jpg

Number 8 Aquarius, Gainsborough outside

Boats on the River Soar

Front one is named - what's the middle one ?

Boats_on_the_Soar.jpg

Number 9 Dodona

Shame about those fenders - I know where the other end of this one is....

Shortened_Motor_1.jpg

Number 10 Phobos

One I remember from years ago

Small_Woolwich_1.jpg

Number 11 Bainton & Berkhampstead ?

I'm now led to believe one of these may not be what it's claimed to be.

Large_Woolwich_Pair_1.jpg

That's it for the moment, but I'll see if I can finf some more.

(Sorry Carl, nothing wooden in there, I think....)

Alan

Edited by Hairy-Neil

i think...

Number 1 = FMC motor DRAGON (outside) and RENFREW (inside)

Number 2 = Little Woolwich AQUILA and butty BINGLEY

Number 3 = Big Woolwich BARNHAM

Number 4 = Little Woolwich CERES (outside) and Small Northwich / Erewash Canal Carrying Co motor ELM (inside)

Number 5 = Big Woolwich FULBOURNE

Number 6 = Big Woolwich butty BIDEFORD

Number 7 = Big Woolwich HADLEY

Number 8 = Big Woolwich GAINSBOROUGH (outside) and Little Woolwich AQUARIUS (inside)

Number 9 = Ex Little Woolwich butty DODONA

Number 10 = Little Woolwich PHOBOS

Number 11 = Big Woolwich BAINTON & BERKHAMPSTEAD

Cheers

i think...

Number 4 = Little Woolwich CERES (outside) and Small Northwich / Erewash Canal Carrying Co motor ELM (inside)

Number 8 = Big Woolwich GAINSBOROUGH (outside) and Little Woolwich AQUARIUS (inside)

Cheers

Amongst those in 4 are also Bramble (well over the back I bet) and Crux Phils boat. Oh and yeah in 11 Berkhampstead could be Ayr depending on which one was cut up, there is some confusion on this one.

Edited by AMModels

i think...

Cheers

Well I agree on all the ones I know, so I'm not about to disagree on any that I don't!

As far as I know, they are posted in the order of our recent trip. It's possible some are out of sequence, but I don't think so.

Don't ask me to say exactly where they all are, though!

One or two others crept in, such as the bows of "Mary" of "George" & "Mary" fame, moored just north of Phobos.

Well I agree on all the ones I know, so I'm not about to disagree on any that I don't!

As far as I know, they are posted in the order of our recent trip. It's possible some are out of sequence, but I don't think so.

One or two others crept in, such as the bows of "Mary" of "George" & "Mary" fame, moored just north of Phobos.

The picture of Fulbourne was taken (I believe) whilst we were broken down at Wolverley.

Tim

Number 1 = FMC motor DRAGON (outside) and RENFREW (inside) Between Wigrams and Stockton

Number 2 = Little Woolwich AQUILA and butty BINGLEY ditto

Number 3 = Big Woolwich BARNHAM Brierley Hill

Number 4 = Little Woolwich CERES (outside) Erewash Canal motor ELM (inside) Dadfords Shed

Number 6 = Big Woolwich butty BIDEFORD Streathay, Lichfield

Number 7 = Big Woolwich HADLEY (south of) Burton on Trent?

Number 8 = Big Woolwich GAINSBOROUGH (outside) and Little Woolwich AQUARIUS (inside) Red Hill

Number 9 = Ex Little Woolwich butty DODONA Watford (Gap)

Agreed now it's not Flamingo/Letchworth, definitely a Little Northwich. Not sure on Hadley though, thought it had a steel cabin???

Can we have some pictures please? I have a soft spot for George & Mary as my great uncle was apprenticed at Steel Barrel in the 1920's and worked for them his entire working life.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Can we have some pictures please? I have a soft spot for George & Mary as my great uncle was apprenticed at Steel Barrel in the 1920's and worked for them his entire working life.

Can't help with George, I'm afraid. We did see it moving on the way up - I'm not sure what engine it has, but it was the wonderful racket that brought me to the side hatch to late to take a picture.

Here's "Mary"

Mary.jpg

One of my "soft spot" boats is my brother's old butty "Angel". It always seems well cared for....

Angel.jpg

Here's it's current motor....

Aldgate.jpg

Rather more down at heel are this pair......

Edgware_Balham.jpg

There's a little picture of George towing on Roger Fuller's web site: http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/historic/gucc.htm

When we came back from Braunston, Mary was tied as shown in Alan's shot, with George a little way further on.

Here's a collection of noses, Mary's included:

LeighForeends.jpg

In the basin at Leigh, 1988. (And in good company).

Er . . Ahem . . ahem - unless you discount the public toilet in the town car park, there's no 'p' in Berkhamsted!

(Though historically it has been spelt that way on occasion).

Edit: I see that may have been from Master Parrott's post - tch!

Talking of Berko, and limits of wide boats - I know we aren't, but Alan mentioned it - Alan Faulkner's 'Grand Junction Canal' book states that the improvement program instigated by the GJCC in 1929, Act obtained in 1931, and work commenced in 1932, involved widening of the Northern GU to take 100 ton barges to Brum. However, finances were withheld for the completion of adequate dredging and widening throughout - Gov. wouldn't pay - so wide boats could not pass in many places. The Grand Junction section had cills lowered to a depth of five foot six to allow 14' beam boats to Berkhamsted, and 12'6" beam to Brum. Hence the belief of Berkhamsted being the Northern limit for wide beam.

Edited by Derek R.

Er . . Ahem . . ahem - unless you discount the public toilet in the town car park, there's no 'p' in Berkhamsted!

(Though historically it has been spelt that way on occasion).

There's also no 'e' in the middle of Edgware, Middlesex and Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire, has no 'e' in it either. However, the boats hav always been Edgeware and Fulbourne. The GUCCC were masters at misspelling the names on their boats. That said, with Berko I think they got it right on that occasion. :lol:

When we came back from Braunston, Mary was tied as shown in Alan's shot, with George a little way further on.

I've seen both boats on several occasions but yet to see them paired up.

Any thoughts on Hadley's cabin, steel or wood?

Hi,

Hadley's cabin is currently wood, although the owner is thinking about having it replacing with steel.

Here's a pic of the cabin when i passed her earlier in the year. She moors at Tattenhill Lock on the T&M.

DSC00188.jpg

Kind Regards

Thanks Andy. I'll correct that......

I've seen and photographed both Geroge and the Mary in the flesh several times but paired up remains elusive.

Any thoughts on Hadley's cabin, steel or wood?

I have a picture at of them together at the 2007 Braunston show, will post when I can but am off boating straight from work so it might be a while.

Tim

I'm 100% sure that the boat I photographed as Hadley had a wooden boatman's cabin on it.

I live in the town who's current spelling is Berkhamsted, but Wikipedia records that as not adopted until 1937.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkhamsted

There have allegedly been over 50 spellings over the centuries. It's an old town where the Saxon heirs to the throne are supposed to have submitted ther defeat to William the Conqueror, (although some sources believe this was Little Berkhamsted - a quite different place). Either way it has a Norman castle.

The spelling Berkhampstead, (technically Great Berkhampstead), is the 19th century and early 20th century one. Every census from 1841 to 1901 uses that spelling exclusively.

As butty "Berkhamsted" is a 1936 build and registration, it looks like the GUCCCo may just have beaten the town in adopting it's current abbreviated name.

I'll have a look later, and see what the histories of Berkhamsted, (rather than Wiki), have to say on the subject.

Alan

Anorak's Corner, (Great) Berkhamsted