petter B4

Featured Posts

Just bought the petter b4 from ebay does anyone recognise this engine, I,ll try and post a photo tomorrow. It apparently came out of a 70 footer in the gloucester area. Overall seems in great condition any help would be appreciated, regards, stuart

Just bought the petter b4 from ebay does anyone recognise this engine, I,ll try and post a photo tomorrow. It apparently came out of a 70 footer in the gloucester area. Overall seems in great condition any help would be appreciated, regards, stuart

I've not had any first hand experience of the B4.

48hp @ 1800 rpm. More than adequate for a large NB.

It'll make your eyes water when you lift it! About 3/4 tonne.

I'm sure more info will be forthcoming

Never come across one before. Interesting machine, obviously started life as a stationary engine. The approach to fitting marine gearbox & starter motor is novel.

Tim

I've not had any first hand experience of the B4.

48hp @ 1800 rpm. More than adequate for a large NB.

It'll make your eyes water when you lift it! About 3/4 tonne.

I'm sure more info will be forthcoming

It was a work of art getting it in my tranny with only a lightweight winch a couple of scaffold boards and one piece of scaffold bar to roll it on looks the part though i,ll be firing it up today when ive rigged up some water , thanks for interest regards stuart

Never come across one before. Interesting machine, obviously started life as a stationary engine. The approach to fitting marine gearbox & starter motor is novel.

Tim

Me neither thats why I bought it , i have a collection of old diesels but i think this is the one for my boat, although it may have to come to pieces to get it in {my excuse to have a look inside} , thanks for reply, regards stuart.

It was a work of art getting it in my tranny with only a lightweight winch a couple of scaffold boards and one piece of scaffold bar to roll it on looks the part though i,ll be firing it up today when ive rigged up some water , thanks for interest regards stuart

Me neither thats why I bought it , i have a collection of old diesels but i think this is the one for my boat, although it may have to come to pieces to get it in {my excuse to have a look inside} , thanks for reply, regards stuart.

A man after my own heart! :smiley_offtopic:

Get the engine(s) first, then work out what your going to do with it/them :rolleyes:

Don't tell Denis B that there's more than one of me

A man after my own heart! :smiley_offtopic:

Get the engine(s) first, then work out what your going to do with it/them :rolleyes:

Don't tell Denis B that there's more than one of me

your secret illness, if its the same strain as mine is incurable, thankfully my wife just smiles bless her

You will need to build a boat around that engine. You will also have to fit it about a quarter way along its length.

what fun i cant wait got my eye on a 60 foot ex hotel boat with hydraulic drive it will either be a hole in the top or strip the engine for a glance inside before stuffing the bits through a side door

You will need to build a boat around that engine. You will also have to fit it about a quarter way along its length.

cant wait ive got my eye on a sixty foot ex hotel boat with hydraulic drive so it will be a hole in the top or bits stuffed thru the side door after a strip for a glance at the internals

what fun cant wait ive got my eye on a sixty footer with hydraulic drive so it will be a hole in the roof or bits suffed through a side door after stripping for a glance at the internals

your secret illness, if its the same strain as mine is incurable, thankfully my wife just smiles bless her

what fun i cant wait got my eye on a 60 foot ex hotel boat with hydraulic drive it will either be a hole in the top or strip the engine for a glance inside before stuffing the bits through a side door

When I returned from an expedition to North Wales to pick up an Ailsa Craig RFR4, I got the look :rolleyes:

Engine2-06.jpg

When I told her that I was going back to get the other one, I got the other look :D

"Why do you need two?" was the question. "Spares", came the reply.

A few months later and an expedition to Shropshire to pick up the National 3D: :smiley_offtopic:

I couldn't work out what was wrong. I'd sold the AV Hartop, steam engine and various pump bits and other stationary engine odd's & sod's to make room in the garage.

Still...... Bless......

Off to the RN open day at Daventry now.......

Shall I take the trailer...... Just in case

Edited by I want a 'proper job'

When I returned from an expedition to North Wales to pick up an Ailsa Craig RFR4, I got the look :rolleyes:

Engine2-06.jpg

When I told her that I was going back to get the other one, I got the other look :D

"Why do you need two?" was the question. "Spares", came the reply.

A few months later and an expedition to Shropshire to pick up the National 3D: :smiley_offtopic:

I couldn't work out what was wrong. I'd sold the AV Hartop, steam engine and various pump bits and other stationary engine odd's & sod's to make room in the garage.

Still...... Bless......

Off to the RN open day at Daventry now.......

Shall I take the trailer...... Just in case

leave the trailer it will only heighten suspicion, and theres sure to be a moment when you can say i wish i,d brought the trailer it always works that way for me. I raised a smile last night when I emerged from the shed in clouds of smoke as the petter bur and st into life to the comment " Wesley Pegden still alive kicking " and " is it supposed to do that" the saga continues..... Enjoy Daventry

Interesting looking engine - I can't say I've ever seen much like it.

As Tim said, novel way to mount a marine box on it. :P

If it's been replaced by something modern and fast running, it seems strange the box wasn't part of the deal, as surely that was unlikely to be a match for both the new engine and the existing prop, etc.

It will be interesting to hear what you do with this!

Got it. Thanks Tim

Obviously the auction had ended so it didn't come up in any searches. I do remember see it now.

An interesting project for you Stuart :P

The 'shadow' on the drive plate looks like it had a PRM bolted to it?

nice big old lump that be,

youve all been busy while i was at whaley bridge and bollington for a whiff of canal today . sorry about the lack of a photo set from me i can do engines but moderate with computers... I keep putting entries in the wrong place. hope everyones enjoyed the weather there were lots of boats and somenice sounding engines out there today, regards stuart

leave the trailer it will only heighten suspicion, and theres sure to be a moment when you can say i wish i,d brought the trailer it always works that way for me. I raised a smile last night when I emerged from the shed in clouds of smoke as the petter bur and st into life to the comment " Wesley Pegden still alive kicking " and " is it supposed to do that" the saga continues..... Enjoy Daventry

Got it. Thanks Tim

Obviously the auction had ended so it didn't come up in any searches. I do remember see it now.

An interesting project for you Stuart :P

The 'shadow' on the drive plate looks like it had a PRM bolted to it?

i just missed another gearbox last night but i,m not dialled into those any advice would be nice, the one i missed was 1 to1 and looked fairly agricultural if i was any good id be able to put alink on here but it could be found in completed listings under gearbox and marine i think it sold for 49.99 if any one could have a look and tell me if thats the type of thing i should get i,d be grateful regards stuart

i just missed another gearbox last night but i,m not dialled into those any advice would be nice, the one i missed was 1 to1 and looked fairly agricultural if i was any good id be able to put alink on here but it could be found in completed listings under gearbox and marine i think it sold for 49.99 if any one could have a look and tell me if thats the type of thing i should get i,d be grateful regards stuart

I think I know the one you mean, if so it was not suitable. It's gone to someone I know who has exactly the right engine for it, a little semi-diesel.

Tim

I think I know the one you mean, if so it was not suitable. It's gone to someone I know who has exactly the right engine for it, a little semi-diesel.

Tim

I really had a single or twin cylinder engine in mind but i couldnt resist the petter when the narrowboat reference was added to the advert, i may find a smaller traditional engine but i,m trying to amass enough cash to cast off for good so i,ll have to steady up on the rash purchases and use one of the engines i have regards stuart

I think the 'Furguson' would have been a bit small for your needs.

Your engine kicks out 140 lb ft of torque, which is about 190 Nm in new money.

Running at 1800 rpm max, you will need to reduce the ratio so to achive a lower shaft speed.

Most 'modern' hydraulic gearboxes are rated by the tourque that they transmit. ie:

PRM 150 is a 150Nm box

PRM 260 is a 260Nm box

etc, etc.

You would need a PRM 260 to cope with the output of your engine.

You then need to look at the reduction ratio

The 260 comes in 2:1 and 3:1 reduction ratios

If you look at this link - PRM 260 - you will see why I think your engine had a prm bolted to it. Look at the shape of the mating face.

It would be really useful if the previous owner could confirm the gearbox, reduction ratio and prop dimensions that they had used.

Presuming it worked well for them, the same setup should be near as damn it for you (in you proposed 60'er)

Running at 1800 rpm max, you will need to reduce the ratio so to achive a lower shaft speed.

Most 'modern' hydraulic gearboxes are rated by the tourque that they transmit. ie:

PRM 150 is a 150Nm box

PRM 260 is a 260Nm box

etc, etc.

If you look at this link - PRM 260 - you will see why I think your engine had a prm bolted to it. Look at the shape of the mating face.

It would be really useful if the previous owner could confirm the gearbox, reduction ratio and prop dimensions that they had used.

Presuming it worked well for them, the same setup should be near as damn it for you (in you proposed 60'er)

sadly i didnot buy it from the previous user but someone who had bought it with other things as a job lot so any history is lost thats why i thought or hoped someone might recognise it as its not something often seen thanks for the gearbox advice i need to refresh on prop speeds and the like as i,m putting the cart before the horse thinking i can runn the motor at low revs without causing oil pressure problems and glazing etc. the boat i.m looing at has hydraulic drive so i presume a gearbox wouldnot be required. would it be a crime using such a set up with an old engine as i like belt and braces things really

PRM 150 is a 150Nm box

PRM 260 is a 260Nm box

etc, etc.

did you take the trailer and did you buy anything at daventry

sadly i didnot buy it from the previous user but someone who had bought it with other things as a job lot so any history is lost thats why i thought or hoped someone might recognise it as its not something often seen thanks for the gearbox advice i need to refresh on prop speeds and the like as i,m putting the cart before the horse thinking i can runn the motor at low revs without causing oil pressure problems and glazing etc. the boat i.m looing at has hydraulic drive so i presume a gearbox wouldnot be required. would it be a crime using such a set up with an old engine as i like belt and braces things really

I looked at Hyraulic drive at one stage. It wasn't cheap. About £2.5K for the complete set up.

I presume the boat your looking at has the hydro motor, reservior tanks, coolers and control gear? If that's the case you might be able to pick up a hydro pump relitively cheap via flea bay.