Not doing the Warwickshire Ring........

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

I've had to cancel my planned trip round the ring starting next Friday as the couple we were going with now can't make it, we've also cancelled the boat we'd hired, so, now it's just me and the wife! We've found another boat (big thanks to Willow Wren and Clifton for proving that companies can still communicate and get things done to the benefit of a customer) so I'm thinking of another less taxing route, my plan is to go from Rugby to Hawkesbury, round to the Ashby, up as far as we can get, back down the Ashby and if we have time up to Fradley. I'm not too bothered about getting anywhere special as I've promised the wife that this won't be one of my "Up at 6, on the move by 6.30 weeks"

Can anyone see any problems with this??

That's about 130 miles and 28 locks. At 3 mph and 10 minutes per lock it will take about 48 hours or 7 hours per day. You might make up a bit of time on the Atherstone flight - the only serious locking you will have to do. It's a very restful trip you have planned but I hope the weather holds for you - if it rains a lot it soon becomes very boring!

The mooring at the very end of the Ashby is very quiet - and very isolated but there are plenty of other places to stop. Enjoy the trip!

Thanks Paul, it has to be relaxing, I don't think the wife will tolerate another mad dash around the midlands! I likeo see as much as possible and she likes a holiday, strange........

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we came back two days early, we had problems with the boat that I won't go into here. I will say though that the Ashby is lovely, especially last Sunday with the sun shining. Nuneaton is a bit of a pit and the Rose and Castle at Ansty does great food.

By the way, what's the story at Hawkesbury on the Coventry Canal side? There is a clearly signed BW 7 day mooring by the waterepoint, we tried to moor their and were told by another boater that it was a private mooring and the boat would be back at 4!! Public or Private how are we supposed to know??

Stephen.

If there is a sign stating 7day mooring it means that you or anyone else can moor there for 7 days. If it is a private mooring a sign will say "Long term mooring" or other words to that effect.

I bet the chap who was expected back has been moored there for a few weeks. You should have told him to "SOD OFF", or other words to that effect.