TIMBER (Ash)

Featured Posts

I am after 3 lengths of "green" Ash , we need to end up with 3 lengths of 8ft x 3in x 3 in planed

We can use "air seasoned " but not kiln dried

Any ideas where I can source some? if it's in large chunks I do have access to a bench to machine fairly large stuff down and then plane to suit but do not need a whole tree !!!

Chris

I am after 3 lengths of "green" Ash , we need to end up with 3 lengths of 8ft x 3in x 3 in planed

Any ideas where I can source some? if it's in large chunks I do have access to a bench to machine fairly large stuff down and then plane to suit but do not need a whole tree !!!

Chris

Have always found Enfield Timber a very good source of large timber.

Can only find reference to Kiln Dried on their web site but it may be worth giving tham a ring.

http://www.tbrewer.co.uk/

Tim

Chris

Going pole dancing Baldock?

I'll do a computer search for you later.

Chris

could you get to Birmingham to pick it up? I think I might know someone with the raw timber it's been lying in the round for about 12 months on an allotment site. You're lucky I've not had it for firewood yet... It might not be 8' but i'll certainly ask if you can move it.

I could arrange to fell some fresh stuff an d cut it to size if needs be... So long as you don't tell me off for using my chainsaw.

If you're game I'll give her a ring and PM my mobile

Edited by Smelly

Going pole dancing Baldock?

I'll do a computer search for you later.

Thanks Yoda, not poledancing (yet) but need to make some bits for the boat and Non Kiln Dried is better fr our needs

Tim Lewis Posted Today, 12:07 PM

Have always found Enfield Timber a very good source of large timber.

Can only find reference to Kiln Dried on their web site but it may be worth giving tham a ring.

http://www.tbrewer.co.uk/

Thanks Tim, rang them only kiln dried unfortunantly..

Chris

could you get to Birmingham to pick it up? I think I might know someone with the raw timber it's been lying in the round for about 12 months on an allotment site. You're lucky I've not had it for firewood yet... It might not be 8' but i'll certainly ask if you can move it.

I could arrange to fell some fresh stuff an d cut it to size if needs be... So long as you don't tell me off for using my chainsaw.

If you're game I'll give her a ring and PM my mobile

Sounds ideal mate, i'll pm you my mobile number so we can have a chat

Chris

Could you please explain why you need green timber? Or why air dried and not kiln dried will do? Just curious.

Don't know about Baldock's application but in general kiln dried is too dry for outside use (or in the damper areas of a boat) being more suited to centrally-heated indoors. Green is possibly a bit too wet but it enables you to season it to your requirements.

o and it's much cheaper. Air-dried timber in particular is very expensive

Don't know about Baldock's application but in general kiln dried is too dry for outside use (or in the damper areas of a boat) being more suited to centrally-heated indoors. Green is possibly a bit too wet but it enables you to season it to your requirements.

o and it's much cheaper. Air-dried timber in particular is very expensive

My guess was that he wanted to bend it, green timber is much easier to steam, but We Should Be Told :rolleyes:

Tim

My guess was that he wanted to bend it, green timber is much easier to steam, but We Should Be Told :rolleyes:

Tim

Yes It needs to be steamed and bent and "green" is easier to work with than kiln dried

Also some of the "Kilned" stuff has been dried at a horrendous rate causing all sorts of nastys to appear when in a steam box

Althought the majority of this wil be used on theboat ,part of it is for another application which involves quite tight bends being formed

Chris

Yes It needs to be steamed and bent and "green" is easier to work with than kiln dried

Also some of the "Kilned" stuff has been dried at a horrendous rate causing all sorts of nastys to appear when in a steam box

Althought the majority of this wil be used on theboat ,part of it is for another application which involves quite tight bends being formed

Chris

Thanks for the info, never would have thought that.

the only way to obtain a bent piece of 3 inch ash would be to laminate thinner strips together or cut the bend from a large piece unless the radius is very slight

Is that from experience? I'm quite surprised you say that. I've only bent fairly small pieces of ash, which is very free-bending when steamed. I've bent tons (literally) of 2" oak in the past, 3" will take longer to steam and be harder to deal with, but I'd be very surprised if it can't be bent. You will, I suppose, eventually reach a thickness where the outer layers are 'over-steamed' before the core is soft, but is it really only 3"?

Tim

Is that from experience? I'm quite surprised you say that. I've only bent fairly small pieces of ash, which is very free-bending when steamed. I've bent tons (literally) of 2" oak in the past, 3" will take longer to steam and be harder to deal with, but I'd be very surprised if it can't be bent. You will, I suppose, eventually reach a thickness where the outer layers are 'over-steamed' before the core is soft, but is it really only 3"?

Tim

Hello Tim, yes I speak from experience the only problem i forsee is that with a relatively small batch to be bent, if the finished pieces are to be uniform then the thicker you go in solid the less accurate the finished result will be. the problem being springback as the ash cools and dries over a period of time it will differ piece from piece as to the final curvature. With smaller thicknesses and especially laminations the process is far more controllable failure rates ie collapse are less predictable in thicker pieces and the grain structure should at least be consistant. As springback would not be complete until below 12-15% moisture content is reached if these 3 inch pieces are positioned and subsequently dry out they will have some muscle to move where they so wish. it may not be important in this application but if it is and each piece is to be the same then lamination would be best and ultimately easier and more controllable.

Hello Tim, yes I speak from experience the only problem i forsee is that with a relatively small batch to be bent, if the finished pieces are to be uniform then the thicker you go in solid the less accurate the finished result will be. the problem being springback as the ash cools and dries over a period of time it will differ piece from piece as to the final curvature. With smaller thicknesses and especially laminations the process is far more controllable failure rates ie collapse are less predictable in thicker pieces and the grain structure should at least be consistant. As springback would not be complete until below 12-15% moisture content is reached if these 3 inch pieces are positioned and subsequently dry out they will have some muscle to move where they so wish. it may not be important in this application but if it is and each piece is to be the same then lamination would be best and ultimately easier and more controllable.

That makes a lot of sense, it's not quite what you said before, though :rolleyes:

Tim

That makes a lot of sense, it's not quite what you said before, though :rolleyes:

Tim

while the first reply was a simplified statement it was my opinion given the facts then as to the best likely course I was guilty of making assumptions but the odds are that any use would be for three similar pieces in which case my detailed reply would be the way to go, regards, stuart

Back on topic, Timbmet in Oxford deliver nationally and are very helpful if they cant help they will know someone who will, I have ash trees for cutting it would just be a matter of getting it to you , regards, stuart

Timbmet in Oxford deliver nationwide if they cant help they will know who can, I have ash logs for cutting it would just be a matter of getting it to you

Chris

Timbmet in Oxford deliver nationwide if they cant help they will know who can, I have ash logs for cutting but it would just be a matter of getting the planks to you

while the first reply was a simplified statement it was my opinion given the facts then as to the best likely course I was guilty of making assumptions but the odds are that any use would be for three similar pieces in which case my detailed reply would be the way to go, regards, stuart

Back on topic, Timbmet in Oxford deliver nationally and are very helpful if they cant help they will know someone who will, I have ash trees for cutting it would just be a matter of getting it to you , regards, stuart