Site Moderation

Jon

Featured Posts

Well I have returned back from holiday to over 60 new PM's in a week, mostly complaints or suggestions on how we could run the site better.

Let me explain a few things:

- For the last few months this site has been significantly undermoderated. This was my fault and I left too much work to too little people, particularly since I could not be here much myself. I decided that new members of the site crew were needed to pull things back under control. Dhutch and I therefore decided to appoint 3 new site crew members, and they started work last Monday 7th April. Applications were open to every member of the board with over 3 months membership and we had approximately 10 applicants of which we chose what we believed to be the best 3 candidates.

- This site is moderated under my authority as the sole owner/bill payer/licence holder. This is a private site, and therefore I will enforce what ever rules I see fit, how I see fit. That is the plain and simple truth. I have decided to do this by publishing detailed forum rules and guidelines and making it a requirement of the usage of the site that all members will abide by these rules. Therefore the arguments of censorship or denial of a right to free speech do not apply here as there is nothing public about this site. Think of it as a terms of employement. If you do something that is in breach of your contract, you would expect disciplinary action or dismissal. The same applies here.

- The site crew operate under my authority and act on my behalf. Their decisions therefore have my full support. They act on a voluntary basis, for no reward what so ever and they make decisions based on the circumstances at the time. If you have a problem with the decision, refer it to Dhutch or myself who will review the issue, although to date I have never changed any decision made by a member of the site crew at the time. Any members who threatens, harrasses or otherwise causes problems for any member of the site crew can expect to be warned or banned.

- This is a canal and inland waterways forum. Therefore the primary aim is to discuss issues surrounding canals and inland waterways. The virtual pub is provided for what is meant to be light relief. It was never meant for deep politcal discussions, and while I realise that these sort of discussions are inevitable, I remind all members what the forum is actually meant for and that is should be a family and child safe environment.

- I do not care that the members of the forum are largely adults, this site WILL be a safe and friendly site for ANY PERSON, no matter what their age or background. If you don't like this, then find another site. I make no apology, that is how it was meant to be, and how it will be from now on in. This means no inappropriate posts, pictures and avatars. Any such posts/images/pictures will be removed. This comes under "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise volatile of any law", part of the forum rules and guidelines.

- We have issues with dual identities. This is a difficult area as we don't want to stop the fun and games in the virtual pub but we don't want behaviour which we have seen recently whereby one member registers several identities and then proceeds to have an argument with themself in order to stir up contraversey, or feign support for their idea/suggestion/complaint. I hope that some common sense can be used here or I will simply ban all duplicate ID's.

- We are trying to make this a safe and friendly place for all. Certain members seem to have taken issue to this and are determined to make our life difficult, challenge everything that we do and generally pick apart any decision, sometimes for nothing more than laughs. To these people the message is plain and simple: go and find somewhere else to cause problems. You are not welcome here. Yes I know that banning you doesn't work very well, you will simply re-register, but I do wonder what sort of life you lead where the best thing you can think to entertain yourself is to get thrills from winding up a bunch of people who are trying to provide a facility for free for the enjoyment of others. If you don't like moderation, Gary has provided a link to an unmoderated forum for you to use - www.canalcommunity.net - I have no issue in referring you here if it means you will leave us alone. You know who you are.

Hopefully this will clarify some issues. If you wish to query or challenge anything here, please do it via private message to me. Any public threads will simply be deleted.

Jon

Site Host