Day Boats

Maryann

Featured Posts

Has anyone got any suggestions for boatyards that hire out self drive day boats? I'm looking at the southern part of the Grand Union, or anywhere within about 1-1.5 hours drive of the Watford (Herts) area. We've arranged loads of day trips in the past and are running out of new ideas - we keep covering the same bits of canals and are looking for pastures new (or rather waterways new).

My trips are getting really popular with our little group of friends, and we really need somewhere with at least two if not more day boats.

It's obviously not a problem finding boatyards to hire a boat for a weekend or week, but day boats are hard to find!

All ideas and recommendations will be welcome!

Presumably if you are in Watford, and are getting fed up with repeating the same stretch you have done Grebe Narrow Boats at Pitstone Wharf to death ?

I think your killer may be wanting to hire multiple ones, as a lot of places probably only have the one.

What about Mill Wharf Boats (Blisworth Tunnel Boats), they seem to have two....

http://www.millwharfboats.co.uk/album1_008.htm

Alan

Steethay Wharf on the Coventry canal near Lichfield have 2 day boats. We hired both a couple of years ago for a party of 20 people. You can go as far as Fradley Junction (but not through locks) or down to Alrewas/Tamworth. Lovely stretch of canal, a few good pubs for lunch too.

It was £100 per boat when we did it, but maybe more now.

Rose Narrowboats, at Stretton, on the North Oxford, have a dayboat and a pleasant day's cruising radius.

U.C.C.'s, at Braunston is perfect to take to the Folly at Napton, for dinner, and back, in a day.

Edited by carlt

Hi there, and many thanks, to all who have replied so far -

I forgot to include the details of who who we've used so far - Blisworth Tunnel Boats and Grebe! We've had great days out with both, and will certainly return at some point to both of them. (Our daughter had her 12th birthday "party" on a Blisworth Tunnel boat, with Happy Birthday sung halfway through the tunnel! Problem was the candles on her birthday cake kept going out B) ). Anyway back to the present day, I think the bit about wanting multiple boats is, as Alan says, the killer!

Perhaps I've got persuade everyone (including myself) to get out of bed a bit earlier B) and travel further afield, because Lichfield is probably a bit further than I was originally thinking - will investigate it now.

Alvechurch at Hilperton (Trowbridge on the Kennet and Avon) have two day boats and that really is a lovely stretch towards Bath. I would heartily reccomend the Cross Guns by the avoncliff aqueduct as a good place for both food and beer (mmmmmm) and delightful surroundings with a riverside garden.

Possibly a bit further than you're willing to drive, but The Ashby Boat Company have TWO day boats - one of them is called "Mole" so that has to be a good sign!

Went passed them the other week and their boats look pretty good.

http://www.ashbyboats.com/Dayboats.htm

Lee Valley Boats have one at Broxbourne, it's a lovely location, very rural with pretty villages and pubs.

Yes. They have two boats - one narrow and one widebeam - and the Lee north of Broxbourne is particularly rural.

Highly recommended. 100 or so for the day.

The 'two boat' issue seems to be the problem.

I believe 'The Wharf' pub at Bugbrooke has one, as does the chandlery at Whilton Locks http://www.saisons.co.uk/

The latter appears to be a bit bigger than some (32') and will take up to 12 - I guess it depends how many in the party.

Peter

A bit further afield - Sileby Mill on the Soar have 2 or 3 which are well maintained and always look good. I think that there may be a couple at Market Harborough - Union Wharf and Foxton Boat Services may also be able to oblige. North Kilworth marina?

Mark at Copt Heath Wharf near Solihull on the GU has two day boats, and a larger boat too. I reckon you could get there in hour and a half. You could get onto the pretty Stratford Canal from there in about an hour or so! :rolleyes:

You could, but you would have to do the Knowle flight first and then end up in the pretty Lapworth flight of the Stratford canal, which might be a bit much for a day boat trip! If you did do the Knowle flight though, you then have a few choices for lunch - Black Boy, Heron's nest, Navigation, Tom of the Wood perhaps?

Richard

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all the ideas - gives me plenty to think about!

I have to admit I'm not so that that having such a big group of people as I've collected for my canal trips is really a good idea. But I must be doing something right! :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all the ideas - gives me plenty to think about!

I have to admit I'm not so that that having such a big group of people as I've collected for my canal trips is really a good idea. But I must be doing something right! :rolleyes:

Good for you! Perhaps when you have decided, one of out members might meet you to offer some local knowledge?

Hi all,

Many thanks for all the ideas. I've just booked up with Oxfordshire Narrowboats in Lower Heyford - have booked 3 day boats. Nearer the time I'll be looking for ideas for pubs to have a meal, so will be back hunting for more ideas! We always take a picnic lunch with us, then have an evening meal afterwards, en route home but not too far from the general area of the boatyard. We find that much more relaxing than having a pub lunch, as weekend lunchtimes are always busy and we don't like having to watch the clock, thinking about the return trip.

So lots of research now needed to get just the right post-cruise grub. I'm quite looking forward to this.... :lol: ...

• 2 weeks later...