LPG generator

Big Steve

Featured Posts

Rob, all points to be considered. It won't be a bodge job, I value my life too much.

Blackrose, A Honda super silent is the thick end of £5,000 isn't it? I could have a new Suntom every year for 20 years at that rate. If I was livaboard I could maybe see the point, but I only see this genny being used in emergencies, such as when the engine battery is flat or I want to ding something in the microwave. I'd be surprised if it will see 100 hours a year.

Thanks for all your constructive comments, if I find an inexpensive LPG detector I'll post the info.

Steve

Firstly - I bet any money that the genny does not have 'Suitable for Marine Use' anywhere on it or in documentation. So CORGI/RCD wouldn't permit it. Secondly, it probably won't have a flame failure device. Thirdly, these units are not designed to be left running on boats, there will be no manufacturer's exhaust components etc. It will not comply with the RCD for sure. BSS is doubtful.

To be truely safe you will have to run it off the craft as a remote power source.

Firstly - I bet any money that the genny does not have 'Suitable for Marine Use' anywhere on it or in documentation. So CORGI/RCD wouldn't permit it. Secondly, it probably won't have a flame failure device. Thirdly, these units are not designed to be left running on boats, there will be no manufacturer's exhaust components etc. It will not comply with the RCD for sure. BSS is doubtful.

To be truely safe you will have to run it off the craft as a remote power source.

Corgi has little to do with boat gas.

How can it have a flame failure device? It has no flame.

I personally wouldn't have one, on my boat, but I don't have gas on my boat at all.

Generators can be safely exhausted off the boat and custom exhausts are often better than manufacturer's, especially Honda's pathetic tin-foil jobbies.

Rob, all points to be considered. It won't be a bodge job, I value my life too much.

Blackrose, A Honda super silent is the thick end of £5,000 isn't it? I could have a new Suntom every year for 20 years at that rate. If I was livaboard I could maybe see the point, but I only see this genny being used in emergencies, such as when the engine battery is flat or I want to ding something in the microwave. I'd be surprised if it will see 100 hours a year.

Thanks for all your constructive comments, if I find an inexpensive LPG detector I'll post the info.

Steve

It amazes me that people spend between 5 and ten grand having onboard generators fitted, when you can go and buy a top of the range 3 to 4 kva generator, with electric start, remote control, for a couple of grand, and get a decent engineer to fit it permanantly in a boat. All you need to adapt is the exhaust outlet, rig a permanant fuel supply, and ensure sufficient cooling. Couple of days work for a competant engineer.

Your gas genny sounds good, keep us updated, would really like to know how this fares, I do like alternative systems to generate power :lol: especially with fuel costs being so high.

I don't know where you're shopping Steve but I think you can buy a loaf of bread at Fortnum & Masons for a fiver if you really want to.

I recently bought a Honda EU30is in excellent condition for £1000 on ebay.

Edited by blackrose

It amazes me that people spend between 5 and ten grand having onboard generators fitted, when you can go and buy a top of the range 3 to 4 kva generator, with electric start, remote control, for a couple of grand, and get a decent engineer to fit it permanantly in a boat. All you need to adapt is the exhaust outlet, rig a permanant fuel supply, and ensure sufficient cooling. Couple of days work for a competant engineer.

I think you can get a proper marine water-cooled cocooned onboard diesel generator for about 5 or 6 grand installed - for a 5kw 1500rpm or 3000rpm job. For liveaboard use you just can't compare petrol (or gas) generators to them - I'd have one myself but as you say, they are a bit pricey.

This thread makes me think there's obviously a gap in the market for something less expensive but which doesn't leave people like us

scratching our heads trying to install it safetly.

Edited by blackrose

Why is BSS doubtful? So long as it complies with the rules it'll pass.

I don't think anything on my boat, including the boat, says suitable for marine use on it.

In the engine manual, a Perkins 4/99, it specifically says, "this engine must not be used for marine purposes", and I'll bet there are loads of them out there.

I would not consider running a generator of any type unattended. (not until I've a lot more experience with them anyway)

It does have a contraption to turn off the gas if the engine stops.

It's easy to make a bespoke exhaust, as carl says.

Thanks for the link to that gas sensor Carl, I was hoping for more like £20, but that looks like a good 'un. Even has a remote sensor. :lol:

It's easy to make a bespoke exhaust, as carl says.

Does anyone know of some kind of heat resistant (possibly flexible) ducting that I can use to extend the exhaust of my Honda EU30i? The exhaust vent from the generator housing is a big rectangular shaped vent about a foot wide and 4 inches high.

This picture is of the EU26i but it's the same shape.

http://www.videoson.com/acatalog/honda-EU26i-1.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Does anyone know of some kind of heat resistant (possibly flexible) ducting that I can use to extend the exhaust of my Honda EU30i? The exhaust vent from the generator housing is a big rectangular shaped vent about a foot wide and 4 inches high.

This picture is of the EU26i but it's the same shape.

http://www.videoson.com/acatalog/honda-EU26i-1.jpg

Hi

Spoke to one of our techies this morning about piping exhaust fumes and he said to ring a company called Jetex in Stratford on Avon.

He didn't have number but try yell.com.

Not cheap by all accounts but apparently if it exists they'll get you one or they'll know a man who can!!! They actually make up 'specials' otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi

Spoke to one of our techies this morning about piping exhaust fumes and he said to ring a company called Jetex in Stratford on Avon.

He didn't have number but try yell.com.

Not cheap by all accounts but apparently if it exists they'll get you one or they'll know a man who can!!! They actually make up 'specials' otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

I don't know where you're shopping Steve but I think you can buy a loaf of bread at Fortnum & Masons for a fiver if you really want to.

I recently bought a Honda EU30is in excellent condition for £1000 on ebay.

I was trying to avoid petrol at all costs. Smelly, expensive, & storage problems.

Even if I have to run the LPG genny from the bank for BSS etc reasons, I still don't have a problem with fuel storage, it's already there and complies.

I was trying to avoid petrol at all costs. Smelly, expensive, & storage problems.

Even if I have to run the LPG genny from the bank for BSS etc reasons, I still don't have a problem with fuel storage, it's already there and complies.

I did look into converting my Honda to LPG but after speaking to their technical dept I decided against. I've got a dedicated, compliant locker for petrol storage but I never really understood why petrol can't be stored in the gas locker? I know this was discussed on the forum in the past.

I'll keep you posted as to how it goes, I'd put money on it being (£ for £) as good as a Honda. :lol: Just remember how we used to laugh at the "crap" Japanese motorbikes in the 60's

suntom fine got 7.5 kva for welding no probs had it since 2006

We used to laugh at the crap Japanese motorbikes in the 60s because they were crap! Then in the 70s they improved and we stopped laughing.

When you say it will be £ for £ as good as a Honda that really depends on what you expect from it. If you want to run a TV or an electric kettle then fine, but if you want to run appliances like a washing machine or a microwave which require a clean AC sine wave then I suspect you may have a problem and the generator won't be as good as a Honda if it can't do the job. Also it's a lot noisier than a Honda, so that's not as good is it? I guess it all depends on the £ for £ value that you put on these things.

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it.

There have been several reports on the forum in the past of these Kippers not producing an adequate AC sine wave to run sensitive appliances and other reports of them failing. Perhaps they have improved since then?

we run microwave tv dvd kettle and a lot more on a sumtum no probs