I'm Gutted

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

I've sold my house, well, I thought it had sold, got to the 'sale agreed' stage, and the buyers are having problems with finace apparently, so I've accepted the next offer down, which knocks a fair bit of money off it. I was going to buy a Widebeam Sailaway, but now I don't think I'll have enough to even get a narrow beam sail away...........I'm so gutted. Does anyone know of any cheap but not sinking boats for under 20 grand??? I know its a long shop, but gotta try, its also got to be about 50 ish feet as I'm living on board........ Thanks xxxxxxxxx

I have just looked on Appolo Duck and there are several for sale in your price range but don't spend all your cash, you will need a survey and you will also need to do some work.

Try this link

http://www.apolloduck.com/listings.phtml?v...0000&sort=0

Hi, didn't think thereed be so many cheap boats!! Yeay!!! Thanks for all your help with this!! I think I'd need 50 ish ft as, its me and my partner, (yes, I've managed to trap some poor, unsuspecting bloke in the time since I was on here last year!!!

I'm gonna try for all clutter free, minimalist style (prob won't succeed) I like some clutter too much........mostly books

Hi

Saw your post earlier.

I had an email this morning from someone who is trying to sell their boat.

I've just agreed the purchase on another one.

I could pm you the contact email address if you are interested.

I haven't looked at the boat so I've no idea what it's like but they have a few photos if you ask them and the price is just about where you are looking.

Let me know and I'll pm.

Good luck.

I live on a 65ft ex-hire Cruiser on my own :) , plenty of space, more than enough for what little stuff I didn't take to charity shops or sell on Ebay. Will sleep 6 comfortably (when friends, ex-girlfriends or family visit) and due to ex-hire boats not being as popular as Trad's, just that bit cheaper too! I love the Cruiser Stern and being able to sit out when the weathers nice with a little table and chair, some decent wine and cheese etc! Perfect... :o

you could probably find something for that price I reckon.

I bought my boat for just over 20K in november - it's not 50 foot - (40 foot) - but there are plenty of boats out there (second hand market).

here is a GRP toped boat -

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/Used-Boats/.../Tarka-XII.aspx

obviously for the price range you're looking at - work will needed to be done on the boat.

looks ok 4 £20.ooo

Hi, didn't think thereed be so many cheap boats!! Yeay!!! Thanks for all your help with this!! I think I'd need 50 ish ft as, its me and my partner, (yes, I've managed to trap some poor, unsuspecting bloke in the time since I was on here last year!!!

I'm gonna try for all clutter free, minimalist style (prob won't succeed) I like some clutter too much........mostly books

poor man lots of luck hope u find one

Have you thought about a broads cruiser? Cheaper than a narrowboat and huge.

Now thats a good idea if you dont plan to do much canal cruising, also plenty of thames widebeam cruisers around, mind you , if i was looking again i would seriously take a look at PIRATE PRINCESS with Virginna Currer.....lots of boat for a good price,

lady Muck i think knows her intimately

I'm happy on a 32ft narrowboat, although it's just me and a dog.

In fact, I'm seriously thinking of selling it and getting something smaller/cheaper and living on that - I am really worried about the way license fees and mooring availability are going to go in the future.

I reckon I could live on a 25ft boat, no problems.

There seem to be a lot of posts from people on 58'+ boats saying they don't really need the space and would be just as happy on a 40' boat.

I suggest they try it themselves first before recommending it to someone else.

I agree my boat's 45' nb,and as she was designed by a person with a pencil not a computer,so she has'nt got the extra headroom and extra space of the more modern boats.

I manage ok on my own, but two would be a squeeze as liveaboards.

So -any prospective partner would have to have her own boat!!

(There was a couple around here last summer, she a lovely redhead, with "his and hers" boats-seemed to work for them!!)

Listen girlfriend, ours is 58 foot of which 6 foot is taken up with a diningroom table and a bench (you could surely manage with something smaller) then we have a 2 seater sofa (that could double as a spare bed) we have a double bed deepfreezer. washer, etc, lockers everywhere and let me tell you, most of them are emptly - and there are two of us. - oh and a bath with a shower.

If you want this as much as we did you will make it happen. 40 foot, i would love it, if the MB didn't take up 20 foot on his own (he's a big boy). best of luck to you, and hey, I have my whole book collection as well - we manage just fine, even have space for a romantic little dance now and again, as long as its just the tango in a straight line.

Hope you find what you are looking for, this is a minor setback in the bigger scheme. oh and congrats on trapping a fella, hope he's handy with a drill.

Yep!!! He's a joiner!!!! Yeay!!

• 2 weeks later...

i havnt read this whole thread, but i lived fairly happy on a 40ft cruiser, it did have covers front and rear for extra storage.

the water cylinder was under the bed, the bathroom was a bit small it had a decent size bed and a wardrobe. i kept over 200 dvds on the boat along with a 20inch tv xbox and dvd player with 5.1 surround sound. there was a chest height fridge and normal cooker/hob and a double sink.

it had everything needed for me, if a guest came it was tight but i diddnt buy it for them i got the boat for me, and at the time its all i could afford..

In the summer the back used to fold down so there was plenty of space on the cruiser stern for a few people to fish eat and drink etc..

Best of luck finding a boat,

Edited by bramley

Hi there.

Is your top end budget definitely restricted to £20K ?

The reason I ask is I have noted some boats with a lot of potential, but many are closer to the £25K mark.

Whilst I'm sure some would haggle, being realistic they are probably not going to negotiate down by £5K or more.

To me it sounds like you need to at least get a sound hull of a length you are comfortable with, and a reasonable engine.

That means you are likely to have to compromise on the interior, and expect to have to do some work to get it as you want.

Don't discount ex hire boats. Often these are well appointed, and have been better maintained than many private offerings. There is a theory that says that hulls of boats that are in continuous use suffer a lot less wasage than those left for months at a time in a marina. I think there is probably some validity in that.

Good luck anyway.

Alan

Nice looking converted Bantock at Whilton Marina just reduced to around £20k

An historic boat (hull dates from 1917) and 65 feet long to boot!

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/Used-Boats/...-Maggie-II.aspx

But the the problem would appear to be....

Just been looking at just maggy 2 on the Whilton Marina page, nice looking boat, but is from 1917!!! and needs about 6 grands work on hull apparently..........................(Cry)

If true, a great shame, as things like an almost new engine, still under warranty, are an obvious plus point.