Love it!!

goldtone

Featured Posts

:banghead::lol::huh::D:lol: :lol:

I just got back to my boat after having a day away staying in my girlfriend's static affairs, think they call them houses.

Walking up the towpath I was of course relieved to discover she was still there (the boat I mean, not the girlfriend!). I unlocked the door, turned on the engine to top up batteries, put the kettle on, emptied the ash pan, opened all the hatches and curtains to let in fresh air, made a ciggie and a cuppa, done a bit of work on the laptop and admired my new furniture and rugs.

Now I am enjoying sitting listening to the engine, not at all fussed by the mild smell of diesel fumes (it always reminds me of my spell working on a yacht in the Red Sea), watching the trees wave in the wind. Quacking of ducks, yummy mummies walking their darling ones on the towpath, me contemplating the next job i need to do on her, get the sat. dish working if I can, thinking about cruising this weekend and me just thinking.......................MAN, I LOVE LIVING ON A BOAT!

Even though I have had trials and tribulations in my month on board, so far I've never once regretted it and wished I had a house

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

Edited by goldtone

:lol: :lol: :D:banghead::lol: :lol:

I just got back to my boat after having a day away staying in my girlfriend's static affairs, think they call them houses.

Walking up the towpath I was of course relieved to discover she was still there (the boat I mean, not the girlfriend!). I unlocked the door, turned on the engine to top up batteries, put the kettle on, emptied the ash pan, opened all the hatches and curtains to let in fresh air, made a ciggie and a cuppa, done a bit of work on the laptop and admired my new furniture and rugs.

Now I am enjoying sitting listening to the engine, not at all fussed by the mild smell of diesel fumes (it always reminds me of my spell working on a yacht in the Red Sea), watching the trees wave in the wind. Quacking of ducks, yummy mummies walking their darling ones on the towpath, me contemplating the next job i need to do on her, get the sat. dish working if I can, thinking about cruising this weekend and me just thinking.......................MAN, I LOVE LIVING ON A BOAT!

Even though I have had trials and tribulations in my month on board, so far I've never once regretted it and wished I had a house

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

SHhhhh - dont tell every one- its our secret :huh:

Only we know about our special world under the hump back road bridge. :lol:

Alex :lol:

And it continues to amaze me........

So its a warm Saturday afternoon in Leighton Buzzard, I'm at the water point filling up, which is smack bang in the middle of town, loads of people walking over the town bridge. As it takes a lifetime for the tank to fill I think, i know, lets do a few jobs. So I check the oil and water, empty the toilet cassette. Water tank still not filled up so I remember I have a load of old wood on the roof, an old wooden frame for a sofa that came with the boat that I have kept to make into kindling. Out comes the axe and club hammer. My current girlfriend (I like to call her that, it keeps her on her toes :o) and I are smashing up this stuff on the tow path in the middle of a busy town...safely of course!

And I stop mid-thwack and laugh as I remind myself that a year ago I was the kinda guy that went to the flashiest hairdresser, wore the latest fashions, in the gym every other day, even under the sunbed if I could get a chance....basically rather a vain twat really. And here I am now, dirty jeans on, oil, bilge water and unmentionable muck from the cassette on my hands bashing the f@*k out of an old sofa by a busy road like some pikey, without a care in the world! I do believe boating has made a man out of me!

.........although I must sign off now and moisturise my hands and clip my nails, that naughty wood has left me with a few splinters and scratches.......hmmm, looks like some of the metrosexual in me still lingers!!

And I stop mid-thwack and laugh as I remind myself that a year ago I was the kinda guy that went to the flashiest hairdresser, wore the latest fashions, in the gym every other day, even under the sunbed if I could get a chance....basically rather a vain twat really. And here I am now, dirty jeans on, oil, bilge water and unmentionable muck from the cassette on my hands bashing the f@*k out of an old sofa by a busy road like some pikey, without a care in the world! I do believe boating has made a man out of me!

.........although I must sign off now and moisturise my hands and clip my nails, that naughty wood has left me with a few splinters and scratches.......hmmm, looks like some of the metrosexual in me still lingers!!

I used to have a "city" job too and it makes me laugh every time I walk through my boat to see my stupidly expensive suit hanging on the back of my engine room door and my shoe collection stacked up on the shelf above the vintage engine. I have given up trying to have girl hands/nails anymore though :o)

:D:rolleyes:

I am loving this whole boat life too.....nothing better than opening the window and there is WATER and ducks and pheasants and moorhens and greenery etc etc....

It didnt phase me last night as a returned from my posh- ish day job to don a greasy old t shirt and clean out the diesel stove...looking hot I may add covered in black oily muck....!? :) headtorch and all - the male in my life looking on adoringly ( or not...). No pretty hands with manicured nails on this boat.

I feel so chuffed to have decided to go for it - most people think I am mad but I wouldnt go back to a house now...not with all those white envelopes coming through the door ...!? I have learnt more and been happier since living on the water than in a long while.

wooohooo!!x

:):rolleyes:

I am loving this whole boat life too.....nothing better than opening the window and there is WATER and ducks and pheasants and moorhens and greenery etc etc....

One of the criteria for our choosing of a boat is 'does it have a nice big window so that i can feed the ducks while i'm (or he's [/feminist]) washing the dishes :D

Just had a break from the forum to make a cup of tea and a sandwich. Fed Mikey and Maria some odd bits and pieces (they are a pair of Moorhens nesting opposite us), watched a pair of Kingfishers fishing off the jetty, and chucked a log on the stove as it's sunny but cool on the Cam today. Its a horrible stressful way of life!! :rolleyes::)

Roger

Ooh! Sat at w**k now wishing I was at home :D

Another 2 hours at least til we can go home and feed the lawnmower (ie lone swan that's camping out next to our pontoon), open the side doors to feed whoevers passing and keep half an eye on the window while cooking tea hoping to see the kingfishers. This morning we had new neighbours, a pair of green woodpeckers, so we'll be taking turns on lookout tonight!

It's a drab old life isn't it? :):rolleyes:

One of the criteria for our choosing of a boat is 'does it have a nice big window so that i can feed the ducks while i'm (or he's [/feminist]) washing the dishes :rolleyes:

Yesterday I had the kids with me on the boat. My son was feeding ducks thru the bedroom hatch, when a swan muscled in on the patch, stuck her head straight thru the hatch and swiped the bread from Jude's hand. He laughed like I've never seen him laugh before as he continued to taunt the swan, her head right into my cabin. A laugh that showed the truest, unadulterated, natural pleasure. One of those unforgettable moments for me.

Bet there ain't many kids in his class that can feed swans from their Dad's bed!!

There is nothing I enjoy more than coming home from wearing the 'uniform' (well,smart office clobber) and dressing down into my civvies and chilling to the sound of ducks, swans and the like (and our current horse neighbour).

No cars, no houses, hardly any people, the odd boat toddling past. It's just peachy and I totally agree with your sentiments goldtone.

I can totally forget the 'real world' for a while and just enjoy being nowhere in particular.

• 2 months later...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

We have been at it now for 21 days now, and are absolutley loving it too, we have seen a Moorhen who had nested on the back of a boat we were next to,

at Tewkesbury Marina and her chicks, then along the way to Stratford where we are now, baby deers, Kingfishers, ducklings, cygnets and loads more I cant wait for what else is to come, oh yes there is also the (RSGC ) Royal shakespeare Goose Chasing boat, they seem to go up and down the river with a sheep dog up front chasing the geese away and then we see all of them come back again and the same happens again, whats all this about ?

However I do have a problem (should we go to the problem page?) we keep drinking with the new neighbours whenever we get chatting and I have drunk more in the last few weeks than ever before is this a good thing or what ? should we seek help or is this normal ?