mobile internet

SarahB

Featured Posts

Hi all

I'm moving next weekend and there's no provision for internet at the new mooring so I just wondered what your experiences are on the following:

3 £15 for 3gb

TMobile I have had nightmares with signal on my t-mobile phone I'd rather not but I guess it's a new location (not that that's helped with my phone). Unlimited is £29 for a 12 month contract.

Vodafone - £25 5gb (their 3gb option means paying £39 for the modem stick)

I have a feeling that I'll end up with 3 but I just wondered if you guys had any other views or experiences that may sway my judgement!

Thanks

Sarah

Hi all

I'm moving next weekend and there's no provision for internet at the new mooring so I just wondered what your experiences are on the following:

3 £15 for 3gb

TMobile I have had nightmares with signal on my t-mobile phone I'd rather not but I guess it's a new location (not that that's helped with my phone). Unlimited is £29 for a 12 month contract.

I have a feeling that I'll end up with 3 but I just wondered if you guys had any other views or experiences that may sway my judgement!

Thanks

Sarah

As an existing 3 mobile customer I've been offered that 3gb deal at half price for an 18 month contract. The question is - is it any good? I think they give you a few days to use it in which you can return it if you're not satisfied.

I`ve recently taken T-Mobile Web/walk through Carphone Warehouse. I get 3GB per month for £20 but get back by cheque a total of £120 so it equates to £15 per month over a 2 year contract.

I used Orange before that cost me £23.50 for 65MB per month so you can see i am £££s better off.

The signal on T-Mobile is fairly good but i am a C/cer. Even a weak signal is miles better than a weak signal on Orange used to be.

You can check out signal reception if you are a permanent moorer for your location on the T_Mobile site.

I went into phone4u yesterday and was told that the stick is free on the 3gb option at £15.

I'm torn between this and three. The avantage with3 seems to be that they only want a 18 month contract. The advantage with vodafone is lots of postive feedback about them and a uk based help line.

Hi all

3 £15 for 3gb

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah I have been using the 1gb £10 month from 3 for 6 months now I am very very happy with it Bren

BUT before you do anything at all check there's coverage at your mooring...As well as calling 3 and checking with them (you'll probably need a postcode in order to check) - Is there anyone else there with a 3 dongle and phone? Can they get a signal? We can get T Mobile and Vodafone here, but my neighbour just bought a 3 phone and it doesn't work here! That's the bad news, the good news is that coverage just gets better and better. I'm sitting here on my nb listening to an album I've just downloaded.

For the more geeky amongst you, this is a good forum. 3G Forum

This site has a map enabling you to pinpoint the exact locations of the transmitters, who owns them and whether they are the newer 3g masts or not. Could be quite useful if you are figuring out the best places to moor when you are cruising.

Edited by Lady Muck

Just signed up to 3 (31/3/08) ;take a phone contract, and you get a dongle on contract for half price. I got 7GB for £12.50 per month.

Both phone and dongle on 18 month contracts

I got the half price deal as well

I just swapped from tmobile to vodafone.

my tmobile was costing me £29 pm, for 3gb and the signal was good, but kept being dropped and i would have to reconnect frequently.

its early days for the vodafone, only 2 weeks, but so far not a dropped signal at all. no problems with it and its equally as fast as tmobile. ( im not in a 3g area at the moment)

oh and vodafone is costing me £15 pm for 3gb, the same as 3 and tmobile are currently offering. although i paid £39 for the usb stick. its a nice little stick and better than the older shaped mouse sized modems.

Which pay-as-you-go option is best?, hate contracts, as technology changes so quickly. Apart from which will control my habit of surfing !!!!!

/\/\/\

yeah - that !!!

it seems as soon as you sign up for 12/18 months - something cheaper and better comes out !

it seems as soon as you sign up for 12/18 months - something cheaper and better comes out !

This is exactly how it works! I was paying over £50 a month for my unlimited mobile broadband account with Vodafone - they allowed me to upgrade to their latest offer which was £30 a month for the same thing. I have recently tried to upgrade to their current offer which is £15 a month for the same product but have been told that I cannot do this until my current contract for £30 a month expires in August :huh:

I use vodafone. I get a good 3g connection in the boat, whereas I usually have to use GPRS elsewhere, very strange! On the whole its very reliable and fast enough for surfing and never drops out. I've never tried downloading as I can do all this at work through broadband.

As for price, I'm not sure, the datacard comes with my job, but I think they pay around £40 per month, but that is a business tariff. Not sure what the limit is, but I've never gone over it i know that much.

From the Vodafone site.

You pay £15 a month for 3GB – or get 5GB for £25 a month. If you go over your limit, any extra browsing and downloads will cost you £15 per GB.

Graham I have no idea of your usage but it may be a good idea to keep an eye on it.

It does not say anywhere that I can find that 'unlimited' is available.

Especially now you moderate. :huh:

Note: My bold

• 2 weeks later...

I use T-Mobile, It's OK (especially with my new, ultra low powered computers - watch this space!) but I'm tied to it for the next 11 months, and the phone is now playing up, which they said they won't fix under guarantee. It costs £37.50/month.

Also, although they describe their service as unlimited downloads, there is a fair usage policy in the small print, where they will place you on a new, higher data rate (more unlimited?) 18 month contract if you download more than 2gb.

When my time is up, contract for me forevermore.

BUT before you do anything at all check there's coverage at your mooring...As well as calling 3 and checking with them (you'll probably need a postcode in order to check) - Is there anyone else there with a 3 dongle and phone? Can they get a signal? We can get T Mobile and Vodafone here, but my neighbour just bought a 3 phone and it doesn't work here! That's the bad news, the good news is that coverage just gets better and better. I'm sitting here on my nb listening to an album I've just downloaded.

Lady Muck

We have a 3 USB modem dongle used it every day of our 2 week holiday, it was brilliant we did the Four counties anti-clockwise and there was only two places which didnt give a good signal, Goldstone Warf and Barbridge, we were able to get on to most things, and check our email.

I checked the ring out on the 3 website, before we left and where it says is patchy it was.

We used the Pay As You Go deal as we do a lot of web stuff and surfing we opted for the 7GB option at £25 which has to be used in a month, we could of got away with a cheaper option we will know for next time.

We also used an USB extension so we could hang the dongle by the window to get a better signal.

We are pleased with it, so thank you to everyone who put comments on another thread about Tmobil and 3. 3 at the time were the only ones offering PAYG

Ann

I have a recently obtained T Mobile Nokia 6300 'phone and a business laptop with O2 datacard.

The 'phone only works near doors and windows in the boat on our normal mooring (and TV's pants as well, probably for a similar reason, with a basic external antenna).

The O2 data card, which I used for a trip north (and back) on the southern GU last year and which I recall was reasonably OK, proved next to useless during a recent trip to London and back. We moored in several different places and never got a good signal in the boat although sitting just outside seemed to improve things quite a lot.

The laptop and datacard are liable to go within the next six months and be replaced by my own laptop and the T-Mobile 'phone and w'n'w on my existing contract - 42p per day, as I understand it.

I have a lead to connect the 'phone to laptop but the connection is grot, so I may try bluetooth.

My question is "How do other people get decent signals inside their boats?"