Mikuni mx40, Blowing the main fuse!!

Kristian

Featured Posts

As posted here a few days ago my MX40 kept blowing the main 25amp fuse which feeds the GP, I also see there are others here who have the same issue!

Well a thousand thank yous to "Julian" who give a few tips and pointed me in the right direction. Heres what i did! (and it worked)

I took out the GP which was new 6 months ago when the unit was serviced, and found this was all clogged up with carbon deposits etc, When this happens dont just put in a new plug as you have to make sure the GP boss if clean and free from carbon inside, this to was all clogged up and so to were the swirl holes! No wonder it was shorting out and blowing the main fuse!

Anyhow remove the GP, turn off the fuel/diesel feed and remove the copper pipe from the GP boss, undo the two screws at each side of the boss and gentley turn either way and pull out! Take off the gasket and drop both the boss and GP into Parrfin for about two hours, this will soften the carbon build up!

Using an old (or girlfriends toothbrush) gently brush clean both the boss and the GP.

I also ran a cloth soaked in clean parafin though the boss, do this until both items look like new!

Then replace both items making sure to apply a small amount of grease to the GP thread.

When the unit starts up again dont worry if theres a small amount of white smoke or steam coming from the unit this will soon burn off. Its just the parafin on the plug/boss!

Many many thanks to all who provided me with input, mainly Julian.

PS the unit has been working a treat for 2 days soild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...
Anyhow remove the GP, turn off the fuel/diesel feed and remove the copper pipe from the GP boss, undo the two screws at each side of the boss and gentley turn either way and pull out! Take off the gasket and drop both the boss and GP into Parrfin for about two hours, this will soften the carbon build up!

Quick question for you - if I am too lazy to clean out the boss (is that the sort of mesh like thing?) where is it possible to get another and how much do you think?

Thanks

Just found the part on the mikuni site, now to find it elsewhere, if that is possible! LINK

Edited by Cinimod

Quick question for you - if I am too lazy to clean out the boss (is that the sort of mesh like thing?) where is it possible to get another and how much do you think?

Thanks

Just found the part on the mikuni site, now to find it elsewhere, if that is possible! LINK

I got my last one from Mikuni

its an easy job just disconnect the diesel feed to the boss undo the two screws holding the boss and waggle it out to clean the swirl holes just use a 3 or 3.5mm drill best to fit a new gasket when you do it.

J

I got my last one from Mikuni

its an easy job just disconnect the diesel feed to the boss undo the two screws holding the boss and waggle it out to clean the swirl holes just use a 3 or 3.5mm drill best to fit a new gasket when you do it.

J

Well I think I may have found an issue - the water pump.

This weekend, I disconnected the pump and tried plugging a 12 volt feed directly into it and lo and behold... NOTHING... suggests to me it may be gone.

• 14 years later...