Not chug chugging along

SarahB

Featured Posts

Hi all

I was meant to be heading off today but typically the engine has decided it didn't want to move home.

It's my lovely Ruston that's just not kicking in, I've got the batteries on charge and even that's not helping whereas in the past it has.

Anyone have any simple suggestions that even I may be able to do??

We did try hand cranking but to no avail either.

Looks like I'll be taking some time off this week and finally investing in getting someone to give it a quick once over.

Arrgghh serves me right for not splashing out before winter kicked in!

Sarah

if you have not started it for a while it may have air trapped in it as the diesel may have dropped back down the pipes try bleeding it diesel egines are simple beings 9 out of 10 times if it dont start its usually fuel problems ie not getting it or air trapped

PS you still at langley mill

Edited by denis boyle

if you have not started it for a while it may have air trapped in it as the diesel may have dropped back down the pipes try bleeding it diesel egines are simple beings 9 out of 10 times if it dont start its usually fuel problems ie not getting it or air trapped

PS you still at langley mill

Yes still at LM! Ok next tourist boater question - how do I bleed it??

Please don't chuckle too loudly into your afternoon beers for how useless I am :huh:)

Sarah

Before you go dismantling fuel systems etc. just check that the engine stop has returned after you last shut the engine down.

In other words if you stop your engine by pulling a knob attached to a cable that in turn is connected to the fuel pump, then make sure the knob has fully returned, sometimes it looks ok at the end you push but the business end make get kinked then the fule pump stays switched off resulting in no "Thump Thump"

Hi,

My pal Bob has a 3 cylinder Ruston which developed a starting problem, we checked everything and finally it was cured.

1 - make sure your batteries are in good condition and able to turn the engine over quickly enough for a fair while.

2 - Insert an ignited blow torch in the engine air inlet.

3 - Hand crank t before with the de compression lever open for a few turns before hitting the starter button.

Hope this helps.

ALBI

the curse of diesel "air" should be ok now unless she moors near "proper job"he may be tempted to borrow it from her on a permanent bassis :huh:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Ruston is chugging very happily again today. I've started it up (no hassle at all!) and it's just happily sat here chugging away to me. Nice and even, slow and happy!

I was ready to be a grumpy thing yesterday with the plans of moving being scuppered but now with Denis' patience and help I'm a happy boater again. And in the process I now know how to bleed my engine and if I try really hard I can do the knot that you've all been talking about.

Denis - if I can ever return the favour and help in anyway just shout. I owe you a boating favour :))

Cruise now postponed for a couple of weeks so I'm tinkering until then!

Thanks again

Sarah

wonderfull no problemo hows it going with the drowned gulper?

Drowned gulper nice and dry - I've got a short day at work tomorrow so I'm going to re-fit it and give it another go.

I'm sure if it works something else will go wrong in the next 24 hours!!

Today I mostly sat outside with the neighbours supping wine - oops not very productive but very enjoyable :huh:)

• 1 month later...
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Ruston is chugging very happily again today. I've started it up (no hassle at all!) and it's just happily sat here chugging away to me. Nice and even, slow and happy!

I was ready to be a grumpy thing yesterday with the plans of moving being scuppered but now with Denis' patience and help I'm a happy boater again. And in the process I now know how to bleed my engine and if I try really hard I can do the knot that you've all been talking about.

Denis - if I can ever return the favour and help in anyway just shout. I owe you a boating favour :rolleyes:)

Cruise now postponed for a couple of weeks so I'm tinkering until then!

Thanks again

Sarah

Just interested, is your engine a twin cylinder or a 3 pot? Did you mention it was a VTH?

Sansouci

the curse of diesel "air" should be ok now unless she moors near "proper job"he may be tempted to borrow it from her on a permanent bassis :rolleyes:

Langley Mill you say.......

I wonder if there's room for it in next door's garage :smiley_offtopic:

its 1 2 vth

These 2 VTH's are quite popular. I know of several Nb's. fitted with them.

Alan White on Jemima II

Jim on Frankie

Alison & Hugh on Grimalkin

They pull very well even on a 60 footer. Remarkable, even on rivers as well. I have 2 which are under restoration and also its big brother the 2 VSH. Nice solid engines that will last for years.

Can I ask if you have found a suitable method of driving the alternators and water pump as these can be a weak point in the conversion to marine life?

regards