Save Our Waterways

Big John

Featured Posts

The following message went out to some of the supporters of the original "Save Our Waterways" campaign. If you are not on this list, please consider it sent to you too!

"We would like to invite you to join the soon to be formed "Save Our Waterways" association. In order to further the campaign, it has been decided that we need to recruit as many supporters as possible. Initially the annual subscription has been set at just £5, and we hope to encourage waterways users of every kind to join (not just boaters!).

It is easy to join - just click on the following address, or paste it into your Web Browser, and follow the instructions:

http://www.saveourwaterways.org/join

We would also like to invite you to the Inaugural Meeting:

Thursday April 10th - 11am - Stafford Boat Club, Maple Wood, Stafford, ST17 4SG

Lunch will be provided for £5 per head.

The date was the only one when we could get nominated candidates together before the end of April - that target being important because we are aiming to make the public announcement in the May issue of TowPath Talk in time for the Crick Festival and before the next meeting of BWAF.

Since, according to the interim Constitution, nominations for the Committee and items for the agenda have to be in 7 days before the meeting, can I please ask you to indicate if you hope to be present, and if you require lunch, or send your apologies, to John Slee, our acting secretary at sow at* nbepiphany.co.uk by Thursday 3rd April. We will then send you an agenda, details of Committee nominees, and a copy of the proposed Constitution. The main items on the Agenda will be the adoption of the Constitution and the election of the committee.

If you wish to nominate someone to a place on the committee, please send his/her name to the secretary, and agreement to stand, the names of the proposer and seconder, the office, if applicable, and a short profile (no more than one A4 page).

Nominations to date are: Chair: Will Chapman; Vice Chair: David Stevenson; Treasurer: Neil Arlidge; Secretary: Roger Millin; Membership Secretary: Will Chapman; Web Master: Martin Clark; Other committee positions (up to 3): Richard Carpenter, Bruce Napier, Michael Shefras.

We do hope you will be able to attend. We also encourage you to invite friends to enrol as members, and come to the Inaugural Meeting.

Regards

Will Chapman

Acting Chairman

Save Our Waterways"

* replace at with @

whats teh difference between this and the IWA?

Apart from the fact that SOW is a relatively (!) new organisation, I believe the greatest difference is that SOW intends to recruit support from every kind of user: walkers, canoeists, canal-side residents, anglers, cyclists etc... as well as boaters.

It has also the stated intention to work with the other waterways organisations, including IWA, rather than plough its own independent furrow.

Apart from the fact that SOW is a relatively (!) new organisation, I believe the greatest difference is that SOW intends to recruit support from every kind of user: walkers, canoeists, canal-side residents, anglers, cyclists etc... as well as boaters.

It has also the stated intention to work with the other waterways organisations, including IWA, rather than plough its own independent furrow.

Isn't this what IWA does?

Sue

The IWA (with the exception of the WRG) is a mutual masturbation group for the owners of washer joshers.

If Will and the gang feel they can help try to mitigate the disasters of the last few years all power to 'em. and I've sent them a crispy fiver to give them a chance.

Edited by fuzzyduck

You lost my support and I bet many more by the inclusion of anglers !!