John Forth

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Pam Pickett on Narrowboat World reports today:

"It is with regret that I report the death of John Forth on Monday 10th March. John, of the coal boat Newdigate was a well-known and much respected waterways ‘character’, and the waterways will be a sadder place for his passing.

John’s wife is making arrangements for all who knew John to get together for John’s last journey up the locks at Long Itchington on Thursday, the 20th March.

The procession is due to move up the locks on his boat at 12pm, and then on to the crematorium at Banbury for 2pm.

Maddy, asks me to say that all are welcome."

I can do no more than echo the comments above; John was indeed a much respected character who will be sadly missed.

Pam Pickett on Narrowboat World reports today:

"It is with regret that I report the death of John Forth on Monday 10th March. John, of the coal boat Newdigate was a well-known and much respected waterways ‘character’, and the waterways will be a sadder place for his passing.

John’s wife is making arrangements for all who knew John to get together for John’s last journey up the locks at Long Itchington on Thursday, the 20th March.

The procession is due to move up the locks on his boat at 12pm, and then on to the crematorium at Banbury for 2pm.

Maddy, asks me to say that all are welcome."

I can do no more than echo the comments above; John was indeed a much respected character who will be sadly missed.

Sad news indeed, our condolences to Maddy.

Unfortunantly we will not be able to get up for his last journey but our thoughts will be there

Chris and Lise

I'm distressed to hear this sad news. I knew John not well, but as an aquaintance; I was describing his wonderful character to someone only a few hours ago. We last spoke when they came thro Wigrams about plans for a break in Pembroke.

John was a forthright and colourful character who added so much to the ambience of the canal scene. He had my respect, I'll be there on Thursday.

Madeleine, our sincere condolences

Dave and Gail Moore

I am sorry to hear of the passing of Johnny Forth. I didn't know him well, but have met him in a few bridge 'oles and watering 'oles over the years! Remember him pulling us back out of bridge when we were firmly stuck.

My sincere condolences to Madeline and I am afraid that I won't be able to make his funeral as I will be on the way to Ellesmere Port for Easter.

Regards,

David Ray

I was actually there when they came past as they asked us to stop at the Itchington bottom lock to let John's boat passed. He had a very good turn out and it was a privilege to see him sent off in style.

Taken from NBW:

The waterways give John a very moving farewell

WE SAID goodbye to John Forth on 20th March in a way of which John would have been proud, writes Guy Morgan.

John travelled from the Two Boats up to the Blue Lias on his coal boat Newdigate with Maddy, his lurcher Rocky and his pall-bearers on board, and the boat steered by Chris Deuchar.

Some 200 people walked along the towpath following the boat and giving John a clear road through the locks. From the Blue Lias he travelled to Banbury Crematorium on the back of the freshly painted and beautifully decorated coal lorry with his name proudly sign-written on the bonnet.

John leaves his boat for the last time

At Banbury Crematorium the overspill was larger than the congregation that the chapel could accommodate. The capacity is only 80 and at least as many people were there as had been at the Two Boats!

The service was non-religious and very moving. The notes explained the significance of Maddy's choice of musical items and also the background to their first meeting as teenagers. We heard from one of John and Maddy's oldest friends, Joe Wright, about John's early working life and then another friend, John Jackson, read a letter he had written to John only a few days before his death in hospital. Maddy told us that it was the last thing John read.

Then Maddy spoke very bravely and movingly of her life with John and the battle she and the nursing staff had fought to support John in fighting his illness after Christmas 2007. John then left us following a thunderous round of applause which lifted the roof of the chapel.

The music we heard was 'The White Cliffs of Dover', 'Dead End Street' and Edith Piaf singing 'Je ne regrete rien'.

After that it was back to the Blue Lias to raise a glass to John Forth, a larger than life waterways character and an all round good bloke. 26/3.

• 11 years later...