THREE WEEKS IN MAY

Janet S

Featured Posts

Can we have some pics along with the log, always a good read

We now have a digital camera, so pics will be available when we get back.

As for the cruise, as we don't have a laptop we will be relying on sending SMS's to Moley and will hope that he'll provide his usual wonderful service and keep the forum updated as to our progress. He's proved very useful in the past. I just hope that he doesn't start to charge a fee....

People are divided on how fast a pootle is, I've checked online and its a smidge more than a potter, but a tad less than a dawdle, and way less than a stroll.

I will forward this to R.J., but I don't think he'll be able to cope with it. We just dont do pootling. I don't think he'd allow it!

Janet

My first canal holiday was on a Wyvern boat back in 1976 but the drought meant we didnt get very far. Our next canal holiday a few years later was also with Wyvern on the same boat but this time it had been moved to Weedon because the Blisworth tunnel was closed and we did the 2 week Leicester circle in 1 week...that was still in the days when hire companies dipped the fuel tank to charge you on how much you had used.....Think it was nearly dry :)

Put the hours in and you can do anything..i like RJ's thinking

As for the cruise, as we don't have a laptop we will be relying on sending SMS's to Moley and will hope that he'll provide his usual wonderful service and keep the forum updated as to our progress. He's proved very useful in the past. I just hope that he doesn't start to charge a fee....

Janet

A horrifying thought......... I hope you are not relying on Mr Mole to supply you with the quiz questions.......... :)

you may just find the potential for sabotage might be the fee you are talking about!

Now, the important question? Am I still ahead of that dratted furry, smelly little burrowing critter or do I need to call on my newly-found expertise as a Council hoccifer to get him eradicated....I can do that. I have the power!

I think you'd better find another relay :)

"750 - 800n rpm IDLE

800 - 1000 rpm TICKLE

1000 - 1250 rpm POOTLE

1250 - 1500 rpm DAWDLE

1500 - 1750 rpm TRAVEL

1750 - 2000 rpm HURTLE

2000 rpm upwards TIDAL"

My engine has a similar speed profile. It is a modern Izuzu four cylinder water cooled diesel. The max revs on mine is 2200 rpm.

A question; anything longer than a short burst at 2200 rpm will cause an overheat. At 2000 rpm I can maintain a sustained engine speed only if I am going downstream. If I am against the current, anything above 1800 rpm will cause overheating. Does this seem normal?

"750 - 800n rpm IDLE

800 - 1000 rpm TICKLE

1000 - 1250 rpm POOTLE

1250 - 1500 rpm DAWDLE

1500 - 1750 rpm TRAVEL

1750 - 2000 rpm HURTLE

2000 rpm upwards TIDAL"

My engine has a similar speed profile. It is a modern Izuzu four cylinder water cooled diesel. The max revs on mine is 2200 rpm.

A question; anything longer than a short burst at 2200 rpm will cause an overheat. At 2000 rpm I can maintain a sustained engine speed only if I am going downstream. If I am against the current, anything above 1800 rpm will cause overheating. Does this seem normal?

Sounds very much as the skin cooling tanks are either inadequate or not baffled correctly to allow a good flow of water cooling area at full power.

This is a regular problem for us as "some" hull builders are unable to stll grasp the concept of how a skin cooling tank should be made

Chris

As you are keen on fishing (sorry - angling) you may be interested to know that I saw a dead carp floating past my mooring near Nantwich this morning. It was about 18 - 20 inches long, biggest fish I've ever seen in t he canal, dead or alive. Having said that, on commenting about it to a frined I'm told that a 22 lb carp was hauled out of the Middlewich branch once.

Are you referring to this one?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...i&img=2648[

(Pulled out of Venetian Marina last summer)

Edited by g0n

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys, time to get serious now!

It's only just over a month until we go, so we could use some advice. The plan is to head from Stone down onto the Grand Union and onto the Thames, coming back via the Oxford and wherever takes our fancy.

The only bit that really concerns us at the moment is the three or four days that we may be on the Thames. Realistically, how long should we allow for this? We need to sort out licences etc.

Regardless of the weather, we are quite happy to cruise from dawn till dusk, so any advice about this route would be gratefully received, as would information about the best places to moor overnight.

Janet

it might be worth talking to the EA about flood levels and expected rain fall? I would have thought 4 days would be enough for you two, I did Penton Hook to Abingdon in 4 days, and I didn't do long long days. Have you looked at canal planner?

I think mooring alongside Bones on the THames or Oxford is a smashing idea....

Edited by Bones

Cheers Bones. Our plan will certainly be tinkered with to allow us to moor up near you if we can. We're also hoping to pick up Cheshire "squiggle" Rose along the way and give the old girl a day out from the Home for the Terminally Confused.....

I know R.J.'s been using Canal Planner (we always use it), but he hasn't sent me the full itinerary yet.

It's just the Thames that's got me slightly perturbed. We don't like rivers at the best of times, so the quicker we can get off the darned thing and onto a canal, the better! The more information we can get, the happier we'll feel. We're a bit wary of committing ourselves to a long trip like this, bearing in mind the dreadful floods we had last year.

Still, this may be the last chance we have to get three weeks in one go, so we really want to go for it if it looks feasible. It will be good to do the Grand Union again, and relive our very first boating holiday.

Janet

When it's not in flood (and it won't be when you're there, because you'll talk sharply to it and tell it to behave) the Thames is quite delightful. It has less flow on it than the Llangollen Canal most summers, and the nice men in smart uniforms do all the locks for you. Honestly, you'll love it.

I'd say take 5 days.

We're also hoping to pick up Cheshire "squiggle" Rose along the way and give the old girl a day out from the Home for the Terminally Confused.....

Janet

:lol:

Just because you thought I was safely tucked away the other side of the English Channel does not mean you can get away with that type of libel...........

And there was me thinking that one of the bottles of wine I managed to get on my bike to bring back from France might make its way along with me when I visit.

Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but last June we (crew of 4 blokes) did bottom of Hanwell flight to Enslow wharf in 44 hours, doing several locks on the R Thames ourselves and being thwarted on several early starts because electrified locks suitable for self operation had tripped out and could not be operated until the keeper appeared at 9.00 am (Abingdon being a particular example).

EA useless, assured me the River was Ok but it was 'yellow' boards all the way and we just made it through just before they shut the river to boaters due to floods. The Oxford canal bordered on the 'red' markers.

Used a lot more fuel going upstream and remember to book a passage through Brentford Lock and lock opening times can delay you (check tide tables carefully). Try and catch the tidal flow towards Teddington as this will save a ot of time)

We stopped at Laleham (good spot - no charge), Marlow (above the lock - charged but avoid by arriving late and leaving early, can be full). Whitchurch good rural moorings (Free), Abingdon. (below the bridge, we did not pay).

Timings Hanwell/Laleham 8hrs, Laleham/Marlow 11.3hrs Marlow/Whitchurch 8.5rs Whitchurch /Abingdon 7.6hrs Abingdon /Enslow 9.0hrs. LOTS OF RAIN!!!!

Not sure if you are doing the Thames above Oxford, but that's the best bit.

If the weather's good and it's a weekend, delays at some locks can be long.

Not sure what engine you have (if it's the same boat you have used before it may be a Lister SR which will plod along against the flow but will not give a spectacular performance). As we were the only boat in the lock on many ocassions the keepers let us keep the engine running which saved time and a lot of 'ducking' back and forth to the engine room.

Albi

The Thames is fine - it must be one of the most 'managed' rivers in the world - the EA have a lot of scope for controlling it, so it very very rarely gets out of control. I regularly go out on it when it is on Red Boards. A bit of common sense and you will be fine.

Hi,

A fair reply if you are an experienced owner but not sure what a hire company would say in the circumstances of proceeding when 'Red Boards' are showing. Also insurers would look closely at the river conditions prevailing in the event of a claim, especially if the boat was being hired and proceeding against reasonable advice.

I am mindful of report by a boater (in a Magazine -WW) who was moored (at the Lock Keepers instruction) below a lock in the summer floods and had their boat seriously mis-shapen by a 'prat' trying to turn across the stream, hitting them side on, his boat was probably Ok but the correspondent's boat sounded as if it needed a lot of straightening work.

I have used the Thames regularly since 1975 and hope that the conditions which prevailed last summer are not repeated, but under normal circumstances I agree it is quite easy to navigate, but mind the shiny 'jelly moulds' especially in the locks.

Best to be careful and forewarned, now about Henley Regatta................... but the journey is palnned for May.

Albi