What is a reasonable time

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Yes I know I have had the luxury for the last 3 months of hardly any boats on the Llangollen due to closures,(opened again yesterday) but was woken up at 06.45 this morning by a boat flying past. Is it just me but I do find this quite an unsocial time to be cruising up the canal. I know I am grumpy at being woken up so early.

Early morning just as the sun comes up is the best time of day.

I love those summer mornings. Leave every one else in bed, cup of coffee on the hatch and cast off. You never go much above tick over as you part the early morning mist. It seems rude to go faster while the world is waking up.

Smashing :stop:

Early morning just as the sun comes up is the best time of day.

I love those summer mornings. Leave every one else in bed, cup of coffee on the hatch and cast off. You never go much above tick over as you part the early morning mist. It seems rude to go faster while the world is waking up.

Smashing B)

I second that :stop:

Hi,

Early morning starts are the best, slowdown past other boats though, presumably it's a 24 hour licence so why not use as many hours as possible. Also helps spread the load with numerous boats using the system.

If people tie up properly and use a 4 point mooring system, the moored boat barely moves, I know as I'm second in on a linear mooring.

ATB

MIKE

Absolutely :stop:

Having said that, I generally don't like to run the engine before 8am as there's only a couple of mm of steel and no sound insulation between our rather noisy injin'ole and Lynn's ear'ole.

However, by that time of the morning I will already have walked or cycled a few miles of towpath with my camera.

I agree the early morning is the very best time to cruise. When we hired boats in the past we would aim to cast off around 6am and cruise for a couple of hours before tying up for a heart breakfast just as the rest of the canal world got started!

Of course this thread is biased........ everyone answering so far is the type of person who does not want to lie in bed on a Saturday morning!

There may be some different answers as the morning progresses! :stop:

As early as you like, but do respect that others may be asleep, on boats and in canalside houses.

Start your engine immediately before you move off, don't run it for ages close to others. Go steady past moored boats, no raised voices or unnecessary use of horns etc.

Tim

I'm not an early morning person, I hate early mornings - except when it's a beautiful dawn and I can start boating in the early morning mist as the sun rises. Slowly and quietly of course.

Being a 24 hour licence, do many actually sail at night - main beam and dip headlights ? B) Locks ? :stop:

Sounds as if you need your wits about you and side illuminating lighting - I suppose no different than a long tunnel.

And quietness - hospital silencer / sound-dampened engine room ?

Nick

Ah well looks like I am on my own here!!! Mind you if you look at my original post i did say flying past!! Maybe I will have to start going to bed earlier!!!

I have yet to experience a dawn start on the water but frequently did when hot-air ballooning - amazing gliding along with the rest of the world ( almost) asleep - by "breakfast" time it feels like you have been up a day already, and its only just starting..

Nick

Being a 24 hour licence, do many actually sail at night - main beam and dip headlights ? B) Locks ? :stop:

Sounds as if you need your wits about you and side illuminating lighting - I suppose no different than a long tunnel.

And quietness - hospital silencer / sound-dampened engine room ?

Nick

No lights at all's best for me. The cut lights up nicely with the sky glow, like following a silvery ribbon.

If there's a good moon and no clouds it's just the best boating there is!.

Edited by carlt

No lights at all's best for me. The cut lights up nicely with the sky glow, like following a silvery ribbon.

If there's a good moon and no clouds it's just the best boating there is!.

I'm with Carl there. Moonlight can be fantastic for cruising a long level.

I do love early mornings before the rest of the world wakes up but living in a house at the moment is making me far to lazy to get up and appriceate it. The view of Waitrose isnt that apealing. :stop:

When i lived in Newquay i think we watched more sunrises and sunsets than tv. It was beautiful.

Me too! Keeps the twilight, dawn and night-time drifting nice and quiet for us uncivilised types!

Oo Carl was'nt suggesting you were uncivilised more that I'm not a civilised person before 8am! You know 6 heads full of snakes comes to mind when I look in the mirror :stop: I'm not a morning person really - now cruising under the stars Yes I could do that quite happily.

Edited by tillergirl

Oo Carl was'nt suggesting you were uncivilised more that I'm not a civilised person before 8am! You know 6 heads full of snakes comes to mind when I look in the mirror :stop: I'm not a morning person really - now cruising under the stars Yes I could do that quite happily.

Don't worry, i used the invisible tongue-in-cheek smiley! Though I am drwn to the uncivilised side of the fence.

Hi, I found this pic. of my trip into London on 21st June 2004. I always stop the night at Bulls Bridge ( Tesco ) This shot was taken at 04.39 in Southall and as all of us who travel in the early morning it was cold !

Regards Patrick.

s3d9go.jpg

iyps84.jpg

Edited by bargiepat