what causes boat fires

ChrisPy

Featured Posts

Picking up on one of the (NOT SO) stupid questions in a current thread - why do boats catch fire?

Without prejudice to the investigation of the fatal fire that took place in Bristol Marina this week, I would be interested to know what proportion of boat fires are related to drinking. Does anyone have that kind of statistic? We often hear about people going to the pub, drinking heavily before going to sleep, etc.

Is there a lesson to be learned here?

Maybe the same applies to house fires .......... ?? The only (near) house fire I was vaguely associated with recently was the result of people acting stupidly during a party.

Edited by chris polley

Picking up on one of the (NOT SO) stupid questions in a current thread - why do boats catch fire?

Without prejudice to the investigation of the fatal fire that took place in Bristol Marina this week, I would be interested to know what proportion of boat fires are related to drinking. Does anyone have that kind of statistic? We often hear about people going to the pub, drinking heavily before going to sleep, etc.

Maybe the same applies to house fires .......... ?? The only (near) house fire I was vaguely associated with recently was the result of people acting stupidly during a party.

Cigarettes must feature in the stats then

Nick

The ones i have heard about are;

candles left burning on a flammable surface.

burners left on too high with stuff nearby

a possible cigarette arson (thrown into the boat but we'll never know)

and one to watch is; is there anything that, if the boat listed or was hit, could be knocked onto the burner while out, could the cat bring down a curtain, or the wind blow something about, that kind of thing.

Interesting to note that none of the above are in any way effected by the Boat Safety Examination.

From memory, most boat fires that end up being the subject of an MAIB report start in the engine room (also worth mentioning that most of them occur on fishing boats). After that, defective or unattended galley equipment is a relatively common cause. On inland waterways vessels the solid fuel stove is probably the biggest danger, followed by smoking or using candles/paraffin lamps whilst tired and/or drunk. Added to all of these, lots of steel boats have been burned out after welding or grinding has set fire to paintwork or the interior structure, sometimes without anyone noticing until it's well alight.

The biggest cause of fire in boats, houses, flats or in fact anywhere is PEOPLE.

Nenewidebeam.jpg

This is one that did not make the news as yet. This a restaurant boat near Peterborough about three weeks ago. It was possibly started by a person or persons unknown. The craft was unoccupied at the time.

Because boat fires are rare compared with property fires they make the headlines.

Narrowboat can be awkward to get out of in a state of panic and are a steel tube which will act like a horizontal chimney, this allows the fire to spread with frightening speed, much faster than in a house. This may be one of the reasons why boat fires are far more destructive than house fires. It is important to stress that if you have adequate smoke alarms, CO alarms and working extinguishers you will stand a far better chance of surviving such a traumatic situation.

Like stay in the pub?

If most fires are started by folk getting drunk, going back to their boat and falling asleep then the solution is simple. Go and sleep on someone elses boat. Then if yours does catch fire you wont be on it.

I was once told that some kids filled a plastic coke bottle full of petrol and dropped it down a boat chimney, waited for the fire to be lit and then BOOOOM,,, dont know if its true ect, but what a thing to do........

Great ! I will always check the chimney now !!

Nick

Cigarettes must feature in the stats thenNick
not that much - Rob
The biggest cause of fire in boats, houses, flats or in fact anywhere is PEOPLE.Nenewidebeam.jpgThis is one that did not make the news as yet. This a restaurant boat near Peterborough about three weeks ago. It was possibly started by a person or persons unknown. The craft was unoccupied at the time.Because boat fires are rare compared with property fires they make the headlines.
Have I feeling of dejavu? I'll ask the river inspector. Boat fires make the headlines less than you think, and finding them can take some time. Thanks, Rob
Two biggest causes of fire in domestic situations are cigarettes and candles. Biggest cause of boat fires is arson.
Close, but not last year - Rob
Like stay in the pub? If most fires are started by folk getting drunk, going back to their boat and falling asleep then the solution is simple. Go and sleep on someone elses boat. Then if yours does catch fire you wont be on it.
ClassicRob
Interesting to note that none of the above are in any way effected by the Boat Safety Examination.
Inland, any actual fires are not items that can be examined. Some of those that are linked to an installation problem do not have certificates. Rob
Picking up on one of the (NOT SO) stupid questions in a current thread - why do boats catch fire? I would be interested to know what proportion of boat fires are related to drinking. Does anyone have that kind of statistic? We often hear about people going to the pub, drinking heavily before going to sleep, etc.Is there a lesson to be learned here?
In regard to fires in building, research indicates this is a factor. Annecdotal evidence from our records is also leaning towards a pattern (including CO too). Rob
From memory, most boat fires that end up being the subject of an MAIB report start in the engine room (also worth mentioning that most of them occur on fishing boats). After that, defective or unattended galley equipment is a relatively common cause. On inland waterways vessels the solid fuel stove is probably the biggest danger, followed by smoking or using candles/paraffin lamps whilst tired and/or drunk. Added to all of these, lots of steel boats have been burned out after welding or grinding has set fire to paintwork or the interior structure, sometimes without anyone noticing until it's well alight.
You've been peeking at our records. :stop: Rob

Having just 'finalised' the 2007 incident records this afternoon, I can say briefly, the top three running order goes like this...

At number three, the perenial classic, cause not known - 13 we are working to change this with our friends in the fire and rescue services

Just pipping it to number two, deliberate - 14 - the fire services have arson prevention targets. I'm hoping they will take interest in this statistic. Clearly, all interested parties have got an input here to help reduce this figure.

And at number one, the solid fuel stove - poor installation, non-maintenance and misuse - 16, dewinterising your narrowboat? then remember to clean out the flue and check it for splits gaps holes and blockages. Is the back plate still secure? Do you see any signs of charring or overheating in the surround wood or soft-furnishing?

Is it awkward to take out the ash - then make sure you have a good hearth and not rugs or carpet close by.

Popping out for a pie and pint - then don't overbank the stove, close the door, don't leave a combustible item close to it and generally make sure you will have a boat to come back to.

Each bit of advice here reflects one or more stories of fires last year and this, causing people harm and misery. So far this year we have have homeless people and families in Derby, Leicester, Burnham and Warrington down to problems with stoves and their use.

Please don't add to my stats. Boat Fire Safety Week 2008 is May 26-31, ask your local fire service if it is taking part?

Go boating - stay safe

I will be posting our 2007 stats on the BSS website just before Easter (when they have official sign-off).

Regards

Rob

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

I boated past the continuously moored cabin cruisers outside Tesco in Aylesbury a few times. One of them caught fire and burnt out last Sunday. All I can say is that everytime I saw the occupants is that they were drinking special brew at 10am in the morning. Nuff said I think. I hope he gets sorted out with the right support from social services etc because I personally don't think a boat is the right place for him.

Debbi

I note the comments about the fire on the cabin cruiser, I saw it at Marsworth during the summer - it looked like an accident waiting to happen - small cabin cruisers do not lend themselves to having solid fuel fires installed.

I would doubt it would meet BSC standards. Fourtunately it looks as though there were no boats moored close by which could have been fire damaged.

Lots of rubbish on the towpath to clear up as well as the remains of the boat to remove - another bill for BW (us!) to pick up.

When I saw it the boat had no licence or mooring certificates.

When I saw it the boat had no licence or mooring certificates.

Less combustible material then.

Nice attitude. Let's condemn them for what may be true but is none of our busibodiness, rather than sympathise with them, for the loss of their boat.

I think i read on a different thread that someone had a plastic Coke bottle put down their stack while it was lit. It didnt have petrol in it though...just caused a horible mess/smell. Chicken wire mesh over the top of stack could stop this from happening.....