River Nene, Middle Levels, the Great Ouse and Cam

Chevetter

Featured Posts

The Cam is an extremely congested little rivulet; there's 4,000 or so rowers (no exageration!) trying to use a rowable stretch of river that's about 5k long.

http://www.camconservators.co.uk/events_all.asp

Check there to make sure you're not trying to get through when there's an event on; rowers, anglers and kayakers can get very tetchy if you disturb their sport.

On a serious note, take a lot of care on the Cam. Don't worry too much about rowers; it's a bit like being on a motorway, with you driving an HGV at 60 and them nipping around on motorbikes at 150!

You may also get big shiny yellow rowing boats, and associated coaching launches, towards Ely. This is Cambridge University Boat Club, training for the Boat Race. If you break their boats, Oxford University BC will doubtlessly knight you or something. :):

just been for a little run up towards Irthlingborough, be careful downstream of the Frontier Camp (after Irthlingborough Lock, close to a footbridge over the river) there is a silt shoal here, where a cut from Stanwick Lakes joins the river, it is marked with a faded bouy. Normally you only have to worry about the area the bouy marks. Today, I discovered the shoal is a lot bigger than normal - very nearly ran out of water ;)

if you are travelling down stream keep close(ish) to the lefthand bank - the one the Nene Way footpath is on, the navigable channel is very narrow so DO NOT stray over to the righthand side of the river.

Have a look here, http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1〈=_e will give EA a buzz on Monday and let them know. Will also inform them that the plunger locks on the manual guilotine gates at Ringstead Upper, Woodford, and Denford are prone to sticking :)

on the plus side, EA have started fitting reduction gearing to the pointing door padles, a good few less turns needed now :clapping:

and to all those moaining about the guilotine locks, 17 minutes for Ringstead Lower (slow electric job) 13 minutes for Ringstead Upper (manual - but a good one!) all done on me tod with only the dog for company - had to use the lock ladders though..................

We are heading for Bedford as well a bit later. For anyone interested July12th /13th is BEDFORD RIVER FESTIVAL its a 2 yearly event and this year is a special one to celebrate 30 years of running. We always go round and have never yet been disapointed. Anyone interested pm me and I will give you the number to book in. Its well worth it.

just been for a little run up towards Irthlingborough, be careful downstream of the Frontier Camp (after Irthlingborough Lock, close to a footbridge over the river) there is a silt shoal here, where a cut from Stanwick Lakes joins the river, it is marked with a faded bouy. Normally you only have to worry about the area the bouy marks. Today, I discovered the shoal is a lot bigger than normal - very nearly ran out of water ;)

if you are travelling down stream keep close(ish) to the lefthand bank - the one the Nene Way footpath is on, the navigable channel is very narrow so DO NOT stray over to the righthand side of the river.

Have a look here, http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1〈=_e will give EA a buzz on Monday and let them know. Will also inform them that the plunger locks on the manual guilotine gates at Ringstead Upper, Woodford, and Denford are prone to sticking :)

on the plus side, EA have started fitting reduction gearing to the pointing door padles, a good few less turns needed now :clapping:

and to all those moaining about the guilotine locks, 17 minutes for Ringstead Lower (slow electric job) 13 minutes for Ringstead Upper (manual - but a good one!) all done on me tod with only the dog for company - had to use the lock ladders though..................

Thanks very much for the advice Gazza, much appreciated. When you say the navigable channel is very narrow, how narrow?

wide enough to get a 7 foot beam boat thru, you just need to be careful, keep a look out up front after you have left Irthlingborough Lock and you should be ok. Will be intresting to see how quick EA respond to my call, bearing in mind Easter is nearly on us..........

the EA are working on Lower Barnwell Lock at the mo, supposed to be finished ready for Easter, they discovered the pointing doors needed more work than expected. Guess the contractors will have to take less Tea breaks :)

wide enough to get a 7 foot beam boat thru, you just need to be careful, keep a look out up front after you have left Irthlingborough Lock and you should be ok. Will be intresting to see how quick EA respond to my call, bearing in mind Easter is nearly on us..........

the EA are working on Lower Barnwell Lock at the mo, supposed to be finished ready for Easter

I wouldn't bet on it. Another Land & Water cock up :) mind you they are working over the weekend to try to get it finished on time.

sorry I got the wrong lock :clapping:

Edited by moggyjo

We are heading for Bedford as well a bit later. For anyone interested July12th /13th is BEDFORD RIVER FESTIVAL its a 2 yearly event and this year is a special one to celebrate 30 years of running. We always go round and have never yet been disapointed. Anyone interested pm me and I will give you the number to book in. Its well worth it.

For further details of the Bedford River Festival - and download entry forms etc - have a look at the Priory Moorers website here: clicky

On the menu bar look under "BRUG" and "Events"

Mike

The EA gave out strong stream advice for the Nene yesterday mornig (sunday) which is not particularly good news. Apparently a lot of the locks are currently reversed and beign used as sluices.

I also went and had a look at Buckby Top Lock yesterday - the gates are supposedly being re-lined to stop leakage problems but I couldn't see any evidence of this, the stretch is still mostly drained and there are safety fences around the lock. A lot of work to do before thursday!

The EA gave out strong stream advice for the Nene yesterday mornig (sunday) which is not particularly good news. Apparently a lot of the locks are currently reversed and beign used as sluices.

I also went and had a look at Buckby Top Lock yesterday - the gates are supposedly being re-lined to stop leakage problems but I couldn't see any evidence of this, the stretch is still mostly drained and there are safety fences around the lock. A lot of work to do before thursday!

The old Nene in the fens is eighteen inchs above normal. Foxes Marina have shut the flood gates.

Firesprite

The SSA can be a pitfall of taking a holiday in East Anglia via the River Nene. There must have been many a boat found themselves having cruised onto the middle levels or beyond having to wait several days or sometimes longer for the river level to drop before being able to return to the GU. Both the Nene and the Great Ouse above Earith (not the Ely Ouse) had SSA several times last year.

If anyone is planing an Easter cruise on the Nene..........dont get your hopes up! there is 2" of the mooring bollards left showing at the Landing stage on the downstream side of Ringstead Lower Lock. No rain to speak of over the last three days and still it is thundering down stream. The water level at my mooring is at least 3' higher than normal :o (again!!)

Not a good start to the season, i wonder if this is going to set the trend for the year???

Thanks for all the advice and info Gazza.

Thats pretty effing depressing news though, to be honest I am pretty gutted.

30 minutes ago I was preparing for a boat trip starting in the morning. Now I'm going to be at work instead. Woopee :o

If anyone is planing an Easter cruise on the Nene..........dont get your hopes up! there is 2" of the mooring bollards left showing at the Landing stage on the downstream side of Ringstead Lower Lock. No rain to speak of over the last three days and still it is thundering down stream. The water level at my mooring is at least 3' higher than normal :o (again!!)

Arrghh! Please, everyone, think dry. No rain. Sahara.

Just in case it doesn't work, where are good secure "tie up the boat and leave it for a week or two" moorings around Gayton?

MP.

Buckby opened today

Arrghh! Please, everyone, think dry. No rain. Sahara.

Just in case it doesn't work, where are good secure "tie up the boat and leave it for a week or two" moorings around Gayton?

MP.

not free but have a look at gayton marina website http://www.gaytonmarina.com/moorings.htm

are you planning on getting onto the Nene/Middle Levels then?

we had to cancel our motocross at Long Buckby last Sunday, 3 flooded roads on my journey there. Field was saturated so unable to park vehicles on it, Track was running with water got soaked to the skin whilst we took the track down, dog was happy tearing about though....

decided to go to Welford and measure the distance from the Wharf to the petrol station (major drawback of petrol powered craft..............) the road was almost flooded at the bend before the Wharf.

Water, Water every where, and still cant use the damn boat!!

Ouch! £7.80 a day for our 60ft boat.

We're going to our new home at Bill Fen.

MP.

Oh b*gg*r bum and blast. My plan was to ring Gayton tomorrow as I too will need somewhere to moor but I'm not sure I want to pay the equivalent of over £160 per month for a 40ft boat.

Let me know if you find anywhere else moomin Papa.

Today I have moved to Gayton. Went into Northampton to have a look and the SSA sign is still up on Beckett's Park Lock no.1. A man from another boat gave me the number of someone called Roy Smith who is apparently the river inspector. I'm going to give him a ring in the morning.

Edited by Chevetter

The River Inspectors for the Great Ouse are as follows:

EA

• Environment Agency

- for the Great Ouse, Bedford to Godmanchester: MATT YALLOP on 01480 483932

- for the Great Ouse, Godmanchester to Popes Corner: MATTHEW RYAN ON 01480 483956

- for the Great Ouse, Popes Corner to Denver, Cam, Lark, Little Ouse, Wissey: MERVYN DAY on 01480 483673

River users are also able to telephone the Agency's Floodline Information Service to hear a recorded message which will inform users whether Strong Stream Advice is on or off. To do this complete the following steps:

Call Floodline, the number is - 0845 9881188 - You will be welcomed to Floodline and offered different touch tone options

Choose option '1' by dialling '1' on your phone to 'listen to pre-recorded information for flood warnings currently in force'

Then enter one of the following quick dial SSA numbers:

River Nene 032112

River Great Ouse 033211

River Ancholme 031212

Mike

Just spoke to Andy Hall as I couldn't get in touch with Roy Smith. Apparently water levels are set to rise not fall and the SSA is going to be in force until at least the end of next week.

Woopeedoo.

the water level seems to go up and down faster than a prostitutes draws at the moment!