NB The Pilot

Chop!

Featured Posts

Hi Chaps and Chappesses

When I took my kids on a hired boat recently, we were moored, in Shardlow, next to NB The Pilot, it had an unusual bow and a very nice vintage ship's lamp as a tunnel light. Sounded lovely too! Meant to take some pics of her many beautiful details but the demands of 3 kids put paid to that! Didn't see the owners to ask about it either.

Thanks Chop!

Edited by Chop!

It's a replica of a tunnel tug, I believe one that worked Blisworth tunnel, but I await correction.

Thanks Carl, I'm sure someone on here will know the full story, could kick myself for forgetting to take some detailed snaps!

Here's a thread about the other Blisworth replica, spider:

clicky

Thanks again! A bugger that none of the piccies show the bow in detail, I am now really annoyed at myself. Quick mental reminder :- Cameras are for taking photographs, not for bulking out your pocket, then taking them home again!!!!!! Doh!!

I'm pretty sure Carl is right that it's a replica of a Blisworth tunnel tug. The bow shape was reputed to be that way to push rubbish to the sides, rather like the cowcatcher on an old American steam loco (you don't get many cows in Blisworth Tunnel, unlike Foulridge). It overtook us on the Thames once, doing about 8mph and making hardly a ripple; the shape of the bow-wave was beautiful to behold.

I'm pretty sure Carl is right that it's a replica of a Blisworth tunnel tug. The bow shape was reputed to be that way to push rubbish to the sides, rather like the cowcatcher on an old American steam loco (you don't get many cows in Blisworth Tunnel, unlike Foulridge). It overtook us on the Thames once, doing about 8mph and making hardly a ripple; the shape of the bow-wave was beautiful to behold.

I'm not surprised, the bow looked very streamlined, there were many other pretty & useful details, hope I see her again will definitely get a load of piccies next time.

Interesting that. The reason for this shape of bow was to get through the water quickly. The more speed it could make in the tunnel, the more money made.

If it was designed for speed it seems odd no other boats used this bow shape, time is money everywhere. I think the reason is more likely to be about reducing the liklihood of prop fouling which, in a tunnel, would be more aggrevational than in open air, specially with a steam engine going.

If it was designed for speed it seems odd no other boats used this bow shape, time is money everywhere. I think the reason is more likely to be about reducing the liklihood of prop fouling which, in a tunnel, would be more aggrevational than in open air, specially with a steam engine going.

This boat type was never loaded therefore it could use a diffent bow. A bow is never going to stop a prop foul.

As i see it if you have a stem the front part of which is at the lowest point, below the waterline, and you run into a large hessian sack it is quite likely to be held on the bow from the pressure of water where a conventional narrow boat stem curving down to the bottom would be more likely to allow it to pass under the boat and to the propeller.

The old Dreadnoughts used the inverted raked bow design and at the turn of the century it was suggested that this gave increased speed.

A norweigan company is now producing ships with a similar design called the X-Bow which apparantly gives increased stability in high seas, reduces the slamming effect, increased speed and reduced fuel consumption

http://www.ulsteingroup.com/kunder/ulstein.../shipdesign.itm

It was a very pronounced rake on the Dreadnought bow. I always wondered way it was like that.

In 1906 when Dreadnought was launched, it made every other pre Dreadnought ships in the world obselete. There were many preDreads built by the Japanese, Russian, German and other navies, then Dreadnought came along and completely out gunned them.

The old Dreadnoughts used the inverted raked bow design and at the turn of the century it was suggested that this gave increased speed.

A norweigan company is now producing ships with a similar design called the X-Bow which apparantly gives increased stability in high seas, reduces the slamming effect, increased speed and reduced fuel consumption

Didn't the "Turbinia" have a bow somthing like that? (on a smaller scale of course)

Tony

The Pilot you are on about is owned by a great guy called Keith who purchased it off Tony Francis who Built Pilot in the 1990's for himself and was his until about 2000 ish it used to be about Shobnall/ Tatenhill area on the T&M she is a real one off

Hi Chaps and Chappesses

When I took my kids on a hired boat recently, we were moored, in Shardlow, next to NB The Pilot, it had an unusual bow and a very nice vintage ship's lamp as a tunnel light. Sounded lovely too! Meant to take some pics of her many beautiful details but the demands of 3 kids put paid to that! Didn't see the owners to ask about it either.

Thanks Chop!

It's a very nice boat both inside and out. Almost unique (a similar one was built by another builder) and full of character. I know the owner and was speaking to him this afto about this thread. When we work out how to do it we'll try to send you a couple of pictures.

I think a couple on the gallery could be nice if it suits him.

It's a very nice boat both inside and out. Almost unique (a similar one was built by another builder) and full of character. I know the owner and was speaking to him this afto about this thread. When we work out how to do it we'll try to send you a couple of pictures.

I think a couple on the gallery could be nice if it suits him.

Thanks Andy, I seem to remember seeing your boat too. I also find posting pics quite complicated as each forum uses a different method, usually end up uploading to Flickr then posting a link.

:) Hey Hey Wales did it! :clapping:

Safe travels Chop!