Engine Trouble

Steve 210859

Featured Posts

Hi all

My woes started last Tuesday when my injector pump started leaking rather dramatically and my boat wouldn't idle (69' Trad - not that it makes much odds). So after spending most of Friday head down - Bum up in the engine bay, off I trolls to Calcutt Boats for an exchange unit. Now I am no newby to engines, but can I get the damn thing to run? I think not!!!! If there are any narrwboat engineers out there near rugby would like a challenge, then drop me a reply and we can do a deal!

Regards

Steve

My woes started last Tuesday when my injector pump started leaking rather dramatically and my boat wouldn't idle (69' Trad - not that it makes much odds). So after spending most of Friday head down - Bum up in the engine bay, off I trolls to Calcutt Boats for an exchange unit. Now I am no newby to engines, but can I get the damn thing to run? I think not!!!! If there are any narrwboat engineers out there near rugby would like a challenge, then drop me a reply and we can do a deal!

Hi Steve

Take it you have managed to refit the injector pump correctly, with the funny missing spline in the right place, and checked the spring clip has not fell out into the timing cover, all the injector pipes etc. in the right order (not they will fit anywhere else).

There should be 3 bleed nipples, one on the side of the throtle control, one on the main housing and one on injector outlet no. 1. Have you bled the system through, it can take a while and flatten your battery (you should not turn it over for any length of time too frequently). You should have fuel at all four injectors, though it will still fire if there is air in one.

On top of the injector pump there should be a little plate with an arrow and dot on it, there is no guarantee the new pump will be set up exactly the same, but lining these up will set the timing about right.

Hi all

Regards

Steve

Ditto most of Robin's suggestions --- is there definitely fuel at the pump ? Wouldn't be the first time someone has forgotten to turn the main tap back on ! Don't forget there should be a priming lever on the lift pump to get it as far as the injection pump body and main bleed screw -- this will help conserve your battery. If you're broadly happy that it's at the pump, I'd crack a couple of injector pipes at the injector and watch for signs of fuel as you crank. Is it possible you have inadvertently secured the stop control incorrectly ? (If it's seriously up to date and has a solenoid, have you reconnected the wire ?)

Don't forget there might be something else --- could you perhaps have dislodged the glow plug feed while working on the pump ?

Mike.

Hi

I had one (BMC 1.8) running fine for years, then had to get injector pump serviced and after refitting the engine would not start. The stop was working in the opposite direction, the little lever needed pushing for off instead of pulling. The internal part it works must be able to be fitted in reverse. Work fine after finding that out by undoing pipework off the injectors and wondering why no diesel spurting out. (had to refit the stop cable though to make it work again) when I checked it transpires it had been the wrong way round all the time I had it

Found out later that incidentally the best way to re-start after having the diesel pipework etc off is to bleed the two small bleed points on the pump using the lift pump, then take off the pipes to two of the injectors and start it on two cylinders that will bleed everything out of the pump. Take care the diesel coming out of the pipes is under high pressure but when it is spurting out refit the pipework.

david