live aboard postal address

Ianbruce

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I am looking to move on to my NB in about 18months time. Does anyone know what to do about a postal address. For certain things like vehicle reg docs you need a fixed address. You even need one to hire a PO Box from the Post Office.

My home marina will not accept post (council tax issues I think). I have no relatives in the uk whose address I can use.

What do "continuous criusers" do ?

Hi Folks,

I am looking to move on to my NB in about 18months time. Does anyone know what to do about a postal address. For certain things like vehicle reg docs you need a fixed address. You even need one to hire a PO Box from the Post Office.

My home marina will not accept post (council tax issues I think). I have no relatives in the uk whose address I can use.

Some post offices will let you use post restante for a 3 month period. Ask very nicely and flutter your eyelids. I have my driving licence and car insurance registered at a po! The other alternative is a mailboxes etc. address, cost you but worth it, google them. you do need an address to get a MBE account so do it B4 you leave land!

Hi Folks,

I am a CC and I use a friends address and then once every couple of months I have him forward my mail to the post office where I know I will be the following week. Post Offices will hold onto mail for at least a month some longer.

I have a PO Box, a wonderful thing in this day and age of bad bargains, £1 a week, yes you need another address but only once a year to get the invoice, for some reason they won't send the invoice to the PO Box. Also your real address is legally available to anyone that asks for it.

Couriers can't deliver to them though, so you'll need another address somewhere if you want stuff delivered.

I have a PO Box, a wonderful thing in this day and age of bad bargains, £1 a week, yes you need another address but only once a year to get the invoice, for some reason they won't send the invoice to the PO Box. Also your real address is legally available to anyone that asks for it.

Couriers can't deliver to them though, so you'll need another address somewhere if you want stuff delivered.

Chris,

How did you persuade the PO to do this? I asked at BoA PO and they refused saying that PO boxes were only used for business post. I use my school address for most of my mail but post from the doctors' is a real disaster zone as they want a BoA address only. Help!

Jill

Chris,

How did you persuade the PO to do this? I asked at BoA PO and they refused saying that PO boxes were only used for business post. I use my school address for most of my mail but post from the doctors' is a real disaster zone as they want a BoA address only. Help!

Jill

Well mine is a business use but I can get any post that comes there, whatever name is on it as long as the PO box number is there. I went through the central business services people 08457 950 950.

BOA sorting office used to do post restante fairly informally, but as mine is in Bath, maybe they're not so friendly any more.

I do know another boatie individual who has a box ( I meet him there occasionally) but i don't know how he did it. You can be a sole trader business with a minimum of red-tape, especially if you don't trade much (at all). Just tell the tax people you sell skyhooks on ebay.

Hi Folks,

If you are a registered continuous cruiser BW employs a group of folk who pop round to your boat on a regular basis. I'm sure they would be happy to bring mail out to you and stick it to the boat if you asked :D

In the old days the local subpostmaster or mistress would have been pleased to help but it is much more difficult nowadays with all the regulations surrounding money laundering etc. Apart from which, just look at the rate that post offices are being closed down!

The only alternative is to have a trusted friend with a bone-fide address.

If expense isn't a major problem, you could look at http://www.boatmail.co.uk/. The website will include a list of post offices suitable for collection as from March. Looks useful.

I will be using our "home" address near Banbury - with very good friends forwarding mail for us. It's not just the mail that is important, it's the need to have a land-based address for licences, accounts etc. Those bodies that insist on seeing a utility bill to prove address are a pain. Some will accept a mobile phone bill, but electricity, gas, water, phone, council tax etc. - they won't be in my name (I hope!)

Those bodies that insist on seeing a utility bill to prove address are a pain. Some will accept a mobile phone bill, but electricity, gas, water, phone, council tax etc. - they won't be in my name (I hope!)

This is all part of the campaign to prevent criminals from 'money laundering' - it will become almost impossible to open accounts with banks, credit card companies and loan companies or engage the services of professionals like accountants or solicitors without providing 'proof of residence' in the form of at least one recognised utility bill. The same will apply to cash purchases over a certain level - I think the present level is £5,000 but some company's have their own levels.

Probably the best answer is to buy a plot of land and have a post box and a water or electricity supply installed!

This is all part of the campaign to prevent criminals from 'money laundering' - it will become almost impossible to open accounts with banks, credit card companies and loan companies or engage the services of professionals like accountants or solicitors without providing 'proof of residence' in the form of at least one recognised utility bill.

It keeps getting more difficult; I've got a permanent address, but almost all my bills are delivered electronically, and a printout of an electronic bill just won't do.

Probably the best answer is to buy a plot of land and have a post box and a water or electricity supply installed!

No the best answer is to insist on your rights. The fact that you live on a narrow boat is no barrier to the same facilities or services as anyone else. I have often had to do the broken record, "yes, that is my address; narrow boat xx PO Box x etc" but I have never failed, eventually, to get those services i am asking for.

Being a business can definately help.

Voda will not give me a phone contract.

Voda (same branch - same person) gave me a business phone contract on the spot. Wouldn't give my better half a phone contract but allowed me to add another to my business account to give to her.

T Mobile wouldn't give me a data contract.

T Mobile(same branch - same person) gave me a business data contract.

Couriers are a pain in the arse. As are taxis. They dont seem to "get" that they can call you and you can come up off your mooring and meet them.

Maybe if you had agreed to meet someone in the street and been beaten up by a gang of men and had your load stolen you might be a bit wary about it too.

I can recommend Prime Secretarial for business and/or personal mail, not cheap but I think their N13 address is their cheapest. They will forward your mail wherever and whenever you tell them, and take in special deliveries etc.

You don't have to use any box or 'suite' number, just your name and the ordinary street address. We've got bank accounts and driving licences registered there. If you've got a car you have to find an insurance company that will base your premiums on the actual location of your car, not the registered address.

Mailboxes Etc have a reputation for being used by scam operations and you have to use a box number in addition to the street address. I think they will forward, but I don't know about the cost.

Some post offices are hostile to post restante and will refuse, most are OK and some get boaters in all the time.

You can register with a doctor using a post office address, and register as a temporary resident in other places.

Vets ask for an address but are happy to take anything as long as you tell them not to send any mail there.

Public libraries usually ask for proof of address but it can be anywhere. At some libraries you have to be a registered member before you can use their internet, at others you don't.

If you want courier deliveries you can usually arrange to meet them at a friendly boatyard or shop etc, but take photo ID.

I can recommend Prime Secretarial for business and/or personal mail, not cheap but I think their N13 address is their cheapest. They will forward your mail wherever and whenever you tell them, and take in special deliveries etc.

You don't have to use any box or 'suite' number, just your name and the ordinary street address. We've got bank accounts and driving licences registered there. If you've got a car you have to find an insurance company that will base your premiums on the actual location of your car, not the registered address.

Mailboxes Etc have a reputation for being used by scam operations and you have to use a box number in addition to the street address. I think they will forward, but I don't know about the cost.

Some post offices are hostile to post restante and will refuse, most are OK and some get boaters in all the time.

You can register with a doctor using a post office address, and register as a temporary resident in other places.

Vets ask for an address but are happy to take anything as long as you tell them not to send any mail there.

Public libraries usually ask for proof of address but it can be anywhere. At some libraries you have to be a registered member before you can use their internet, at others you don't.

If you want courier deliveries you can usually arrange to meet them at a friendly boatyard or shop etc, but take photo ID.

As I thought - for a true no ties life afloat a complete nightmare! Prime Secretarial seems a good bet or boatmail. :P

There is of course plan B !

Redirect the bills to the Ex wife, deal in cash only and run for the Chunnel! (too scared to sail across) :wub:

cheers folks

Ian

As I thought - for a true no ties life afloat a complete nightmare!

No, it's a long list of things to sort out, and there are some irritations that go with having no fixed abode, but it's all worth it.

I've been looking at a service run by 'My UK Mail'.

£50 a year plus £7 set up fee.

You do need to include a box No, suite No, flat No or whatever in the address.

Does this cause a problem?

If it makes it obvious it's an accommodation address you might have problems getting the DVLA to accept it, and if you run any kind of business it could put people off, but for ordinary mail it's OK.

Do they charge extra for forwarding, or just the postage costs?