1 Week Cruises Alvechurch

davidk65

Featured Posts

Our boat will be relocting to Alvechurch.

Can any one give details of any 1 week cruise itinarys which can be taken from Alvechurch (out and back) without the prospect of having to go through a large number of locks in a week.

With a crew of 2, both over age 68, my wife and I find ourselves a little worried as that area appears so heavly locked and we have no experience of this part of the system.

Thanks.

DavidK65

Your only option for a lockless cruise is into Birmingham for a weeks trip or a nice weekend run is Kings Norton and the North Stratford to Hockley Heath (winding hole by Swallow Cruisers) but you have one electric and one hand operated lift bridge that way. If you go past Swallow Cruisers you have 20 odd locks before you can turn , if you go to Tardebigge and down the Worcester and Birmingham you would have about 35 locks before a winding hole.

Yep,

Birmingham canals are a very nice place to cruise round with minimal locks!

I suggest that you look in a canal guide for canals around birmingham and choose the route with the least locks (there are some but i cant remember the details)

Sam :):closedeyes::PB):):)

If you don't like locks or the BCN, Alvechurch is not the place to be!! I was there for a couple of years with my share boat, I got to really like the BCN. You can do Stratford and return (>100 locks), or a trip I did a couple of times through the BCN to Stourton and return via Worcester or Wolverhampton (both >100 locks).

The North Stratford is very nice. IIRC the manual swing bridge is somewhat disabled in the open position. Didn't look like it has moved in years when I saw it. The electric one is very easy, although I seem to remember it being nearer Lapworth than the Birmingham end.

Not to sure about the journey from Alverchurch to Kings Norton though. Would need to look at my guides.

Jon

The gentle run from Alvechurch into Birmingham has no locks or moving bridges - just Wast Hill Tunnel - and takes about 4 hours. Another 4 would see you to the Black Country Museum at Dudley with just 3 locks whichever way you go - up Smethwick onto the Old main Line, or Brades (which includes a 2 lock staircase) or Factory Locks at Tipton. From there, back down onto the Main Line and then through Netherton Tunnel and round to Merry Hill will also take about 4 or 5 hours with just one more lock at Parkhead Junction. So if you like short days you can make a week of it and really relax!

Can you find some younger and more energetic friends to share (well I mean do) the hard work?

The gentle run from Alvechurch into Birmingham has no locks or moving bridges - just Wast Hill Tunnel - and takes about 4 hours. Another 4 would see you to the Black Country Museum at Dudley with just 3 locks whichever way you go - up Smethwick onto the Old main Line, or Brades (which includes a 2 lock staircase) or Factory Locks at Tipton. From there, back down onto the Main Line and then through Netherton Tunnel and round to Merry Hill will also take about 4 or 5 hours with just one more lock at Parkhead Junction. So if you like short days you can make a week of it and really relax!

Can you find some younger and more energetic friends to share (well I mean do) the hard work?

Thanks Paul (and to all who responded). Much food for thought and I will have to look at the guide books for that part of the world.

DavidK65

The North Stratford is very nice. IIRC the manual swing bridge is somewhat disabled in the open position. Didn't look like it has moved in years when I saw it. The electric one is very easy, although I seem to remember it being nearer Lapworth than the Birmingham end.

Not to sure about the journey from Alverchurch to Kings Norton though. Would need to look at my guides.

Jon

The electric one (if we are thinking of the same one) is very fun (for someone of my age :):( )

You get to put the barriers down acros the road and everything!

Very fun if you do it really slowly as it anoys the car drivers! :(:):D

B) :ph34r: :(:blink::D

Edited by Sam

You're right there, Sam. Several years ago we were through there with 2 other boats late on a Friday afternoon just as the commuters from Birmingham were returning home - we were the cause of a local traffic jam! We always count the number of vehicles we hold up at swing and lift bridges and are always disappointed if it's less 4! (No comments about little things.....we have to get our pleasures some where.)

Edited by Paul Evans

You're right there, Sam. Several years ago we were through there with 2 other boats late on a Friday afternoon just as the commuters from Birmingham were returning home - we were the cause of a local traffic jam! We always count the number of vehicles we hold up at swing and lift bridges and are always disappointed if it's less 4! (No comments about little things.....we have to get our pleasures some where.)

:blink::(:D yeah!!! :(

'tis very fun!