Restoration of Dove

dove

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

Now I've got jist of things on the Forum and seeing how the chat goes, I thought I'd pop this link in for those interested

picasaweb.google.com/fmcdove

It's photographic record of the restoration of N.B. Dove formally Britania, the Birmingham water bus.

Andrew

Welcome Andrew..I am Chris who put Karen in touch with you re Alberts boat !

Nice to see Dove back to an original look

Now can I convince SWMBO to let me cut the top off Baldock ??

Chris

Chris

Ah! it's you to blame is it? ( joke )

At least she's floating now without the bilge pump running all the time.

Bigger job than expected

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew, what a great job! At least you had some ready made "patterns".

I'm currently fabricating my own NB, or at least will resume when the weather picks up (like yours, outside). Spending winter overhauling the vintage engine..........loads to do.

See you on the cut......

Andrew, what a great job! At least you had some ready made "patterns".

I'm currently fabricating my own NB, or at least will resume when the weather picks up (like yours, outside). Spending winter overhauling the vintage engine..........loads to do.

See you on the cut......

Thanks for the interest

I didn't learn this is the second time around, we built Achilles too, not far from you, Mirfield boat yard back in 2000

Andrew

Chris

By getting the bathroom re-fitted? :clapping:(Edit - see it's a bit more than the tug deck you're currently allowed!)

Just had a look at the pics, and she looks fantastic. Great work you've done there.

Edited by Chris J W

It gives me pleasure to see Dove restored. During our epic journey up the Stourbridge 16 ( CanalScape BCN) in 1961 there was a time when Phil Hutchings thought he had done irrepairable damage when the pound dried out and Dove was twisted to a remarkable degree. Good Luck. Max

It gives me pleasure to see Dove restored. During our epic journey up the Stourbridge 16 ( CanalScape BCN) in 1961 there was a time when Phil Hutchings thought he had done irrepairable damage when the pound dried out and Dove was twisted to a remarkable degree. Good Luck. Max

Thanks Max, you don't by any chance have photographs or infomation on Dove in that period, it all seems a little vague around that time.

Andrew

Have you replicated the original diesel tanks or managed to get hold of some original tanks. I would presume you wouldn't be able to fit the four cylinger gardner in the engine 'ole with tanks across the front bulkhead, it would be very tight indeed. As my bolinder 1053 with original gearbox only just fits in the engine 'ole with a few inches clearance of the tanks.

Have you replicated the original diesel tanks or managed to get hold of some original tanks. I would presume you wouldn't be able to fit the four cylinger gardner in the engine 'ole with tanks across the front bulkhead, it would be very tight indeed. As my bolinder 1053 with original gearbox only just fits in the engine 'ole with a few inches clearance of the tanks.

No, I can't fit the main tank in, the front of the Gardner is touching the bulkhead, part way through making a day tank though.

Had to fit the beast I've got nothing else.... yet. My other half dosen't fancy 12 hours behind a Bolinder.

Andrew

No, I can't fit the main tank in, the front of the Gardner is touching the bulkhead, part way through making a day tank though.

Had to fit the beast I've got nothing else.... yet. My other half dosen't fancy 12 hours behind a Bolinder.

Andrew

Bit of a shame, no doubt a compromise, nice engine though, glanced at it at shackerstone. Also i believe dove would never have been painted in the black and white colour scheme, a bit later wasn't it?

Bit of a shame, no doubt a compromise, nice engine though, glanced at it at shackerstone. Also i believe dove would never have been painted in the black and white colour scheme, a bit later wasn't it?

Engine's ok, the reversing box takes some getting uesd to, its the same as Skylarks.

The colour... owners licence I think, not keen on the red and green.

Andrew

Hi folks,

Now I've got jist of things on the Forum and seeing how the chat goes, I thought I'd pop this link in for those interested

It's photographic record of the restoration of N.B. Dove formally Britania, the Birmingham water bus.

Andrew

Nice pictures and nice boat also. Well done.

A few days ago there was a query re building the back cabin. I note that your gallery contains some good pictues of work in progress on this.

Hi folks,

Andrew

Just curious - did you fit the electric start yourself? It was more usual for these to have the starter mounted on a crankcase door, ahead of the flywheel, is there a particular reason for yours being 'backwards'?

Tim

Just curious - did you fit the electric start yourself? It was more usual for these to have the starter mounted on a crankcase door, ahead of the flywheel, is there a particular reason for yours being 'backwards'?

Tim

Hi Tim

the electric start came with the engine, it was some what a bodge job, it is now back to hand start through the reversing box.

the reason for the position of the starter is the engine is one of a pair and turns the opposite way to normal

Andrew

Hi Tim

the electric start came with the engine, it was some what a bodge job, it is now back to hand start through the reversing box.

the reason for the position of the starter is the engine is one of a pair and turns the opposite way to normal

Andrew

Standard rotation for the marine L2 (and AFAIR L2 engines generally) was the opposite to most vehicle engines. The same was true for a good many older marine diesels.

I suppose doing the electric start that way would have saved the hassle of tracking down an anticlock starter motor.

Tim