Flood Marine Web Shop

Barry Flood

Featured Posts

Can't comment on the VAT issue 'cos I don't have enough fingers to work out, but you should remove the astrophe and superfluous s from stockist's as it's both irritating and unnecessary.

The golden rule with astrophes is if you don't know or are uncertain leave it out. Plurals do not need astrophes at all. The only two cases for use of an astrophe is in the possessive or contraction: ie when sonething belongs to some one or thing or where a letter or letters have been missed out.

I don't like the graphic either as it would take time to download and I'm afraid I would be off to find a faster site. When you click to complete a search the result is hidden and all you can see on my screen is the search refinement bar. This could be placed as a sidebar instead and the first few products shown instead to prevent both puzzlement and confusion as it seems nothing has been found. Picky I know, but time is money when you're on boat and downloading .......

Otherwise, other than functionality - broken and dead links it looks okay to me.

Good Luck, Jill

Edited by wrigglefingers

Like Mr Polley said..

If i click GPS i want to see the GPSs..

I DO NOT want to have go through yet more menus..

WHY? -> Because I may not KNOW what manafacturer I'm after or what model number.

And back to the point... I really can't see how the website is aimed at canals..

Like Mr Polley said..

If i click GPS i want to see the GPSs..

I DO NOT want to have go through yet more menus..

WHY? -> Because I may not KNOW what manafacturer I'm after or what model number.

And back to the point... I really can't see how the website is aimed at canals..

Haven't you heard of navigation by post code. It's simple! Afix GPS to back of boat and dial in postcode, you'll be amazed where it takes you.

defo mistaken alsoi just bought on the site the item steering wheels - yamaha 5 spoke marine whitecost = 46.49total ex vat = 38.35total vat = 8.14total postage = 5.70total inc vat & postage = 52.19 how is it wrong?

.................. because, using your example above, VAT of £8.14 on the ex VAT price of £38.35 is 21.2% VAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

The prosecution rests :)

Chris

I have just done a worked example at random and make it 17.5% VAT.

I fear you have made the same error as the website owner and have taken 17.5% of the final price to calculate VAT, which is incorrect. All the products, I looked at, had VAT erroneously calculated. Which product did you look at in your example?

Chris

Edited by chris w

Hmmmmm.

To add VAT multiply by 1.175 to remove VAT divide by 1.175 - simple.

Yep - header graphics far to big.

I agree it isn't very canal based

Me personal opinion is that is is bordering on commercial as some other posts have suggested but then again where else would you go to ask the opinion of boaters ? And let's face it if you ask a question on here you sure do get some opinions :)

He's not charging VAT at 21%, he's just made a mistake in the calculations.

Yes he his. His error is inflating his prices by about 3% as erroneously added VAT. He's charging, for example, VAT of £8.14 on an ex VAT price of £38.35. That's 21.2% VAT.

Chris

Edited by chris w

And let's face it if you ask a question on here you sure do get some opinions :rolleyes:

Very true!

But at least you'll know, Barry, that the site works ... no matter how painful it could be in the process! :clapping:

Good luck with it, though.

i see the problem nowbut just for your own information, we ARENT charging 21% VAT, we are chrging 17.5% on the product as the lised price has been taken straight from the Yamaha RRP Manual.however,the total vat has been calculated incorrectly from the total inc vat and is displaying the wrong total, the cost of the product and postage however is accurate.also, with regards wanting gps and wanting to display a list of manufacturers etc.the reason you arent seeing anything is because no gps products have been added yet,t his will be done over the next few weeks. the only productys which have been added are outboards, accessories and watersports.every other catagory will list int eh same fashion as these

i see the problem nowbut just for your own information, we ARENT charging 21% VAT, we are chrging 17.5% on the product as the lised price has been taken straight from the Yamaha RRP Manual.however,the total vat has been calculated incorrectly from the total inc vat and is displaying the wrong total, the cost of the product and postage however is accurate.also, with regards wanting gps and wanting to display a list of manufacturers etc.the reason you arent seeing anything is because no gps products have been added yet,t his will be done over the next few weeks. the only productys which have been added are outboards, accessories and watersports.every other catagory will list int eh same fashion as these

Who really cares.. Now would you like to buy some nice Buns instead

main image is now smaller, any better?

www.floodmarine.co.uk

Much!

Personally - I'd rather see it half the size again when you actually get into the detail page. Once you're in the detail (this page, for exanple) you don't want to be distracted by anything else, really.

I work with a widescreen, 17" laptop, screen resoluton 1280X800.

I realise this is not a 'standard screen' but the heading is still half the screen.

Also would it be better if the top line, search etc. was below the heading.

I work with a widescreen, 17" laptop, screen resoluton 1280X800.

I realise this is not a 'standard screen' but the heading is still half the screen.

Also would it be better if the top line, search etc. was below the heading.

Image is better but it still needs to shrink when you view the shop pages.

Things like that are fine for a mainpage 'splash' but rubbish for everything else.

I agree with the comments re splash screen - by all means make that big, but once on your site then perhaps drop it down to no more than 25% of it's current size and get more info on the page.

After all once they are on your page the yknow who you are - hopefully they just want to buy.

Glad things are developing - I write web pages and the worst part is getting the theme right - after that it ain't so bad.

Good luck

I agree with the comments re splash screen - by all means make that big, but once on your site then perhaps drop it down to no more than 25% of it's current size and get more info on the page.

After all once they are on your page the yknow who you are - hopefully they just want to buy.

Glad things are developing - I write web pages and the worst part is getting the theme right - after that it ain't so bad.

Good luck

we already do stock all this equiptment, however it is not listed online yet. please call us on 028 82 246539, as i said earlier, we have been in business for 40 years and have showrooms full of stock!

028 82 246 539 if you need anything, we can deliver

cost = 46.49

total ex vat = 38.35

total vat = 8.14

total postage = 5.70

total inc vat & postage = 52.19

how is it wrong?

This not only wrong but very confusing. The 17.5% VAT on a purchase costing £38.35 (ex VAT) should be £6.71, not £8.14 What you have done I think is deduct 17.5% of the VAT inclusive price to get the total ex-VAT. This is incorrect, and gives what appears to be a 21% VAT level.

Not only that, but you may be aware that you should be charging VAT on the postage, and this is not mentioned. I would be reluctant to buy anything which approached its pricing in such an amateurish way, and I haven't even looked at the site.

Mac