Need a bowthruster?

ChrisG

Featured Posts

I was just watching one of the UK Boating video clips about one of the sandbarges on the Trent, and remembered our various discussions here about people needing a bowthruster. If you haven't already seen it, the key moment is about 1min 30sec into the clip - I think it's impressive to see.

http://www.uk-boating.tv/V2/v2players/1battle1.html

Mind you - he does it every day!

I was just watching one of the UK Boating video clips about one of the sandbarges on the Trent, and remembered our various discussions here about people needing a bowthruster. If you haven't already seen it, the key moment is about 1min 30sec into the clip - I think it's impressive to see.

http://www.uk-boating.tv/V2/v2players/1battle1.html

Mind you - he does it every day!

I don't think anyone said they needed a bow thruster. The discussions were actually about people wanting bowthrusters rather than needing them. Nobody needs one but they're nice to have, just like power steering is nice to have in a car.

The aggregate barges plying the Southern GU between W. Drayton & Hayes all have thrusters - big hydraulic jobs.

I don't think anyone said they needed a bow thruster. The discussions were actually about people wanting bowthrusters rather than needing them. Nobody needs one but they're nice to have, just like power steering is nice to have in a car.

The aggregate barges plying the Southern GU between W. Drayton & Hayes all have thrusters - big hydraulic jobs.

"Nobody needs one but they're nice to have, just like power steering is nice to have in a car." That's exactly my viewpoint - but I think some people would be very unhappy without them.

Watched the so-called 'modern' narrowboat phoenix (god that thing is ugly close up) reversing up the Llangollen at the weekend. He was using the bow thruster almost continuously in order to steer it. I'm amazed it didn't burn out.

Yes bow thrusters have the uses, but using one as a replacement for basic boat-handling abilities?

Some people need stern thrusters :)

I concur. Additionally, the woman doing the voice over needs to lower her dose of largactil or find some charisma from somewhere. She makes it all sound sooooo tedious..

Edited by tomsk

Still no fun it is, compared to watching the real thing!

I don't know, I quite enjoy watching all the grimacing and knashing of teeth as "the traditionalists" blood pressure rises when they see me use my bowthruster. If nothing else it's really useful for that :)

Anyway, in case you'd forgotten, the real thing was done with a horse and no engine.

I know you have a BT Daniel, but what is it about some narrowboat owners that pits them so wholeheartedly against the very idea of bowthrusters? I'm sure this debate doesn't even exist in sailing circles.

Edited by blackrose

I know you have a BT Daniel, but what is it about some narrowboat owners that pits them so wholeheartedly against the very idea of bowthrusters? I'm sure this debate doesn't even exist in sailing circles.

Have you ever seen a wind-powered bow thruster?

Tim

I have indeed and I've seen plenty of electrically and hydrauliically powered models on the same boats too.

I imagine your 'wind powered bow thrusters' will be fore sails of some sort - I'd be interested to know if they were something more directly controllable?

Tim

Hi

As a long time boater, I've never felt the need for a bow thruster. If the boat handles and swims well, the majority of situations encountered make them uneccessary and I feel that they certainly shouldn't be used as a substitute for indifferent boat handling skills, which is how I often see them used. An aging fellow boater made the valid point that they can be helpful to those with limited mobility. I'm lucky enough ay nearly 60 o still be able to move around easily....perhaps I'll recant and have a retro fit when I'm older!

Cheers

Dave Moore

I imagine your 'wind powered bow thrusters' will be fore sails of some sort - I'd be interested to know if they were something more directly controllable?Tim
Yes, I thought that's what you were refering to?
Hi As a long time boater, I've never felt the need for a bow thruster. If the boat handles and swims well, the majority of situations encountered make them uneccessary and I feel that they certainly shouldn't be used as a substitute for indifferent boat handling skills, which is how I often see them used. An aging fellow boater made the valid point that they can be helpful to those with limited mobility. I'm lucky enough ay nearly 60 o still be able to move around easily....perhaps I'll recant and have a retro fit when I'm older!CheersDave Moore
If they're used in that way then I agree, but they can be handy for close quarters handling in a marina, etc, especially when you're single handed on a boat of 30 odd tonnes like mine. I've certainly seen the reassured look of boaters on plastic cruisers as I've manouvered around them or slotted myself sideways into a tight mooring between two boats.

Have you ever seen a wind-powered bow thruster?

Then again, i doubt may have seen a steam powered bowthruster?

- Certainly as far as i know of there is only one on the canal system, and its all mine, so yay! ? :)

Daniel

Then again, i doubt may have seen a steam powered bowthruster?

- Certainly as far as i know of there is only one on the canal system, and its all mine, so yay! ? :)

Daniel

Nice one! That's definately going to confuse the traditionalists - they won't know whether to approve or condemn you :lol:

I was just watching one of the UK Boating video clips about one of the sandbarges on the Trent, and remembered our various discussions here about people needing a bowthruster. If you haven't already seen it, the KEY moment is about 1min 30sec into the clip - I think it's impressive to see.

Shouldn't that have been a Pivotal moment?

Sorry, I'll leave now.....

Tony

Edited by tony collins

Makes me think of a large and loud person with a pole . . . :lol:

As for pivotal, Tony . . . . . :)

I've heard boats can be blown round tight corners by the amount of hot air generated by the crew as they shout at each other.

The new boat will have bowthrusters because single-handing a 62'er might occasionally be tricky without.

Jill

I've heard boats can be blown round tight corners by the amount of hot air generated by the crew as they shout at each other.

The new boat will have bowthrusters because single-handing a 62'er might occasionally be tricky without.

Jill

:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone explain the pros and cons of electric versus hydraulic bowthrusters - I guess electric are cheaper, but require batteries, charging arrangements and only last a few minutes every hour or two, and hydraulic are more expensive but can run "all day"

"In practice", what's the bottom line and guide prices for a suitable one for a "62-er" generally only used on canals ?

Thanks,

Nick