Living aboard with the family

jimbo747

Featured Posts

yeah, but it's still a wee bit good eh Alastair?

:unsure:

Well, I was agreeing with the last sentence as well!

My dear lady is fed up with our current mooring. We have facilities and privacy, but also a field full of mud. It's also an inconvenient drive from the kid's school.

She was seriously considering us selling up and going back to land :wub:

But I think I talked her out of it.

There is a marina, with space, but they won't allow big steel boats in. Daft, 'cause we could moor happily in the silted-up bit of the marina, that they can't use for big grp cruisers.

Try a fortnight, in winter, on a hireboat without moving the boat. You will be screaming at each other within a week. Why does everone think living on a boat is the answer to lifes problems? You have to live with muddy towpaths, climbing fences to go shopping, changing gas bottles in your night clothes in winter, emptying all your s**t. With 3 boys that will be a permanent job. I won't go on else others will think I don't enjoy it.

Sue

I have a lot of respect for Sue as she's been liveaboard for a long long time. All I'm going to say is "school".

Best of luck whatever you decide.

D

• 1 month later...
I've never heard so many negative comments from a canal forum! :rolleyes:

You sound like you have the right attitude for a life aboard, and that's a hell of a start. Yes, you have work to do, but not half as 'hard' work as keeping a house (and that's from someone who's spent the last fortnight going home in a rowing boat because of flooding!), yes, you have to empty toilets, but it's hardly a difficult job is it? I could go on....

As for chaotic...? Our kids (now age 11 and 14) were a lot more hyper when we were in the house, they have grown up and adapted so well, they don't argue as much, they are more considerate about the environment and are mindful of wasting power. And they have the 'home comforts' they had at the house, ie. tv, computer, the youngest got an electric guitar for christmas which now smudge is also learning!

I've said this before, but I'll go again... They've joined the RSPB, they go out exploring, they go out in their canoe and generally spend more time outside. That cant be a bad thing?

In short it's the best thing we've ever done and would never (by choice) go back to a house.

Do u mind if we could get in touch -I have x2 children (16 and 12). They are VERY worried about living on a boat and it would be great if someone could write to David and reassure him! :rolleyes:

I think you should go for it :) and it's good to hear that you have realised whats important in life!I don't have kids myself but i do plan to start a family on our boat and to be honest i know people who have lived in alot smaller places than a boat with kids and never had a problem :lol: Of course liveing ona boat can be a lil bit harder but you don't get anything for 'free' in life and the problems you encounter just make it all more rewarding.Lets have some positive energy on here!

much love x

Do u mind if we could get in touch -I have x2 children (16 and 12). They are VERY worried about living on a boat and it would be great if someone could write to David and reassure him! :lol:

No probs... send me a PM and we'll keep in touch

Sam

Do u mind if we could get in touch -I have x2 children (16 and 12). They are VERY worried about living on a boat and it would be great if someone could write to David and reassure him! :lol:

I brought up my son on my boat and he now lives on a boat (with a wife who has her own boat) so i would be happy to write and re-assure him. PM me if you like.

My kids are still quite young 9 and 2, but it's all my 2 year old had known. Anything you think will help, let us know. Most of us on here who live aboard with kids could tell you the highs and lows (and there are not many lows) about living aboard.

My kids are still quite young 9 and 2, but it's all my 2 year old had known. Anything you think will help, let us know. Most of us on here who live aboard with kids could tell you the highs and lows (and there are not many lows) about living aboard.

Right well children expect so much these days-computers, their own TV, large room-playstation-I will have to connect to a nuclear power station! I am abit worried as we will have a historic butty called the Atalanta-I willl have to work VERY hard to get it up to speed! :lol::)

Right well children expect so much these days-computers, their own TV, large room-playstation-I will have to connect to a nuclear power station! I am abit worried as we will have a historic butty called the Atalanta-I willl have to work VERY hard to get it up to speed! :lol::)

aha - you bought the Atalanta, congratulations, a very nice boat. At least you'll have lots of space. Think you should downsize the kids expectations rather than up your power requirements, power rationing is the norm for anybody on a boat, no matter what size, so why should the kids expect different. It is a matter of education, houses educate people to expect unlimited resources at the flick of a switch, not really a universal model of human living.

I had a teenager for a while, and although on land she is high on demand, living on the boat she was pretty minimal. She insisted on music, but was prepared to get people in to make some music if the stereo broke, and her focus changed. Kids, like adults, adapt to boating life. I think the child appreciated having a home, somewhere to live, and somewhere different, as wellas the undivided attention she got from me. She loved sitting outside watching the world go by, and from being someone who knew nothing about anything other than pop bands, she went became facinated with the world around her.

I think kids adapt as adults adapt. They are individuals as we are, and we have to be prepared that not everyone, even members of our family like it. I was lucky.

Edited by Bones

My kids love it, albeit they only stay with me a few nights a week. They are 5 & 7 and the boy usually loves his PS2, gameboy etc... But when with me, give them both a loaf of value bread, a few ducks, the odd swan and they are happy as sandboys. They watch dvds on the laptop at night,. I don't have telly and so far seem to love it. Its a great adventure for them, they love the fact that everything is different, toilet is different, lights are different etc....

Hi,

Coming up to my 40th birthday, and finally coming to realise what many realised long ago - a professional career, no matter how well paid, isn't satisfying if it preys on your health, affects your family and leaves you with mortgage debts you can't afford.

I have 3 sons aged between 8 and 13. They are boisterous by anyone's standards but they love life on the cut (or at least the 2-3 weeks we've been able to afford each year). Does anyone else have experience of living on a boat full time with children, the effects (positive and negative) on them and generally whether it is a sensible thing to do.

It's taken me 20 years of working to see the futility in our materialistic society. I guess i'd like them to learn those lessons earlier in life. Plus, i want to enjoy the next 20-30 years of my life.

Jimbo.

hi jimbo, we live aboard with our 3 daughters (2 fulltime aged 14 & 6 and one at uni - home weekends/holidays) a dog, pigmi hedgehog and 4 fish! we left a 4 bed semi , large garden, even had a hottub (which i'll be honest i d miss!) i too realised all my money went on the house with not much left and having owned a narrow boat for a year - sold that and the house to fund a new boat - my advice would be to plan the boat carefully and find a good moring, we managed to fit in 3 bedrooms with loft style beds built in for the girls which gave them their own space to retreat to - if you cant manage a bedroom each then give them a "play area" for your own sanity - and a space for them to get away from you!! we spend much more time together as a family - when we lived in a house with so many rooms we rarely sat in the same room apart from to eat! now we have too!! we play games more and go for walks more - we are also aware of the impact our every day lives have on each other and are more considerate. Go for it jimbo - nothing in life comes with a guarentee and after 5 years living afloat you'll probably be able to rebuy a house with cash with the money you've saved from not paying a mortgage!

Every day is for living and its adults that should make the decisions not children - sometimes we forget we actually know best! i have just asked my daughters if they miss the house and they both said they missed different things, the 6 yr old missed her trampoline and the 14 yr old missed the landline phone for better internet connection - honest answers! but they now do much more than they ever did as we have more money..they ride horses and we travel much more than we used to.. oh and we have an allotment within walking distance of the boat..a great place to let off steam after school! and we have a playhouse/shed and swings there - as well as veg! perhaps that would help to have a bit of outdoor running space? so look out for an allotment!

hope all that helped!

x

for more persuasion as to why it might be good for kids....

I grew up around boats, looking back through the last few posts about what you remember..

Im 30 now and when i think back to my childhood the first few memories spring to mind...

making a cheese sandwich for the first time with my mum

making a go kart with my dad

my brother daring me to dip my wholehead in a fish tank full of tadpoles ( I did)

getting stuck in the reeds on the norfolk broads as I went dinghy sailing with my grandad

swimming in one of the norfolk broads with my future sister in law

crabbing off a bridge in norfolk with my gran

getting dive bombed by seagulls as i went to play in a dinghy on one of the lochs in scotland

going out to sea for the first time and seeing the horizon

being rescued by my parents as I started to be swept out to sea from an anchorage when my outboard engine failed.

we had computers, we had tvs and all that shit, we lived in a house but spent every weekend and every holiday on a boat.

I think if you have kids you need to think about how you will formally educate them, but apart from that, the boating and waterways type lifestyle is an amazing way of giving kids a better start in life, and a really memorable one. if I ask my friends what they remember from their childhood.... they all say they enjoyed the trips to the boat with my family and adventures and holidays we had with it.

• 11 months later...

I am brand new to this site and actually joined due to being impressed with your views on materialism and the complete madness of living to service a huge," deathly load" meaning of "mortgage".I am currently looking at the possibility of living afloat also. Interestingly some 20 years ago i was in the position to purchase a luxemotor barge from 'boats and planes monthly' for £8000 98ft it needed some work and had a mooring on the Thames the Pimlico side of Battersea. The mother of my sons would not be convinced of living afloat subsequently, i reluctantly abandoned the idea and purchased bricks and mortar which i lost everything on when the relationship concluded. The idea i had initially had was raising my sons on the water to understand a wider perspective on and about life, nature, navigation ,the moon stars tides etc.If you are able to Jim youmake the necessary changes to your life and enjoy whatever the outcome maybe as it cannot be much worse than the situation you are currently in. Life is temporary so obtain as many different experiences as possible before you pass onto the etheric realm. I only wish i had stuck to my initial vision 20 years ago. Although Im sure there are downsides to living afloat this is the case in many of lifes offerings. My sons are now 18 and 19 my daughter is 21 and i truly feel they missed out on such a different life shaping experience.I hope you find what you need and go ahead with making your thoughts into reality.Again it is was beautiful to read your heart felt sentiments. Enjoy L.I.F.E.: Learning Is For Ever!!!! I hope we get to meet its not often i read such sensible commentary.

Osho

Hi,The "better off" thing comes from being able to buy a boat outright with the equity in the house. It also comes from being able to take a step away from a long hours career to finding something that i want to do. I'm not sure what exactly, but something that gives me a 9-5 job and that gets me out of London and a 4 hour daily commute.You are quite right about the 13 year old. Presently he spends hours locked in his room and i think rather than boredom, the issue would be conflict with his younger brothers as a consequence of lack of space.Jimbo.I guess it's all to do with the view from here Sue. I strongly believe in the ability to adapt, and that's something that children have in abundance. Put it this way - if the liveaboard lifestyle alleviates me from having to get up at 5am to be on a train at 6am, 5 days a week, not getting home until 8 pm, 5 days a week, to pay a £250k mortgage that i can barely afford, then it looks attractive from here. However, aside from the ability to buy a boat outright, i do not see this as a financial decision, for me it is more to do with getting away from this unsustainable economy built upon debt, and the ability to start treating life as a challenge.To put it another way - some years ago i spent some time in Africa on a volunteer project. Although the work was hard, it was based on teamwork, and it was based on tangible benefits rather than personal gain. Things like emptying the latrine (digging a new one) were unpleasant, it's true, but those kind of stresses are very different in nature to financial/job stresses.Anyway, although your tone implies i am some kind of imbecile for even raising the question, i'm grateful for your advice. Like many on here, i am simply evaluating an option at my own risk and i was curious to know how those with families on boats survive.Jimbo/

An£8000 98ft luxmotor with a mooring in london would be worth about a tenth of what you paid for it.

There are no shortcuts in getting a boat worth living on. Either pay dosh up front or be prepared to work your guts out on the boat AND pay a fortune.

Hello jimbo 747, after reading your thread i did along with others on the forum think that you may be biting off more than you could chew, however after reading several of the comments I think Ihave had a change of view. As you say you could buy a boat outright ,can I suggest that you might think of purchasing something like a bigger ex hire boat(black prince etc), they usually have loads of sleeping accomodation for the holiday crowd, this may give your boys some privacy,you could have it altered to suit you and after say a year, put in an order for your ideal bespoke boat, or forget the idea altogether and go back on the bank. Having said all that you will still have the unenviable task of pulling together boat ,job,moorings schools. My heart goes out to you mate ,best of luck. Chris

Hello jimbo 747, after reading your thread i did along with others on the forum think that you may be biting off more than you could chew, however after reading several of the comments I think Ihave had a change of view. As you say you could buy a boat outright ,can I suggest that you might think of purchasing something like a bigger ex hire boat(black prince etc), they usually have loads of sleeping accomodation for the holiday crowd, this may give your boys some privacy,you could have it altered to suit you and after say a year, put in an order for your ideal bespoke boat, or forget the idea altogether and go back on the bank. Having said all that you will still have the unenviable task of pulling together boat ,job,moorings schools. My heart goes out to you mate ,best of luck. Chris

I've just twigged that this is a really old thread that Virtuosho resurrected. He sounds rather sorry for himself - don't regret the past - take your chances now - let serendipity lead you.

What did Jimbo747 do, by the way? When it comes to it you'll probably be blamed by your children for how you brought them up, no matter how you did it. Our two boys were with us on the boats - one of them being literally born in the fore cabin of our first canal boat. They then came commercial boating when we took that up, but we didn't actually give them any choice. One loved it, one didn't. There are a lot of people on this forum whose parents had boats before them - they obviously liked their childhood enough to keep on with boating. Whether any amount of them actually lived on boats full time though, I don't know. That does make it different. Fair weather holiday boating is not the same. We know three families, each with two boys, who've lived on boats from the 60s or 70s. In each case it is the elder boy who has followed most seriously into boating, while the younger has found an alternative life. I think that when they get old enough to steer, only one can do it, and so the second boy looks elsewhere. My theory, anyway. Stop rambling, Tam!

I live aboard with my 2 girls (13 and 16) they love it, space is a problem but my 16 year old turned round to me the other day and told me she's going to buy a boat after Uni and not a house, we lived in a house until 2 years ago so they have had both experiences.......it works for us.

Edited by djangobole

How does writing about a past experience make me sound sorry for myself? There is nothing in what i say that is melancholy or depressing just the reality and realisation that when ideas and oppurtunities present themselves as in jim's case follow them through, I did not do this for whatever reason, which is why i found the post powerful so much so that i joined the forum to add my reply. I have never joined any forum prior to this one, and this is partly due to wanting to liveafloat. The "past informs the present "the present" informs us of the future. History has and does show us there are things in the past that we regret, however i do appreciate the experiences life introduces me to and enjoy my journey through them, the good the bad and the ugly! We all should learn from our past mistakes. Some of those mistakes are regrettable!!

I hope to be very soon taking my chances with purchasing a liveaboard although there is alot of saving and research to do which i am enjoying immensely, truly i wish for serendipity to be a regular friend on this part of my new journey and life focus.When i have purchased my new home it would be good to meet if and when possible. I have much to learn but i am enjoying the education already just through writing on this forum.

I would like to ask you a few questions Tam, do you know of the cheapest moorings nearest to London north or south? Do you know who to book the best Helmsmans course with?

Do i need to post these questions on a different site/page?

Thankyou

Osho

I've just twigged that this is a really old thread that Virtuosho resurrected. He sounds rather sorry for himself - don't regret the past - take your chances now - let serendipity lead you.

What did Jimbo747 do, by the way? When it comes to it you'll probably be blamed by your children for how you brought them up, no matter how you did it. Our two boys were with us on the boats - one of them being literally born in the fore cabin of our first canal boat. They then came commercial boating when we took that up, but we didn't actually give them any choice. One loved it, one didn't. There are a lot of people on this forum whose parents had boats before them - they obviously liked their childhood enough to keep on with boating. Whether any amount of them actually lived on boats full time though, I don't know. That does make it different. Fair weather holiday boating is not the same. We know three families, each with two boys, who've lived on boats from the 60s or 70s. In each case it is the elder boy who has followed most seriously into boating, while the younger has found an alternative life. I think that when they get old enough to steer, only one can do it, and so the second boy looks elsewhere. My theory, anyway. Stop rambling, Tam!

first answer would be to NOT have kids, but since ya gottem then i say, drag them along with you. dont live your life meeting the expectations of your kids, give your kids new expectations from experiences you give them.

dont fall into the trap of thinking there is a particular set of society rules that kids must adhere to otherwise live a miserable existance.

if you didnt need electrical gadgets to keep you happy as a child, they dont either.

living on a boat, must be one of the single most important ways to break the mould society tries to confine us to. to grow up with it gives a distinct advantage.

look for something better than a narrowboat though, look at all possibilities.