Flooding again

Gary Peacock

Featured Posts

How are you doing over there Gary?

My local River Calder (a tributary of the River Ribble) is over its banks in the town centre, and gushing through like molten chocolate. It's already several feet above normal level, and has risen by possibly another foot since this morning.

No fishing today then!

Janet

How are you doing over there Gary?

My local River Calder (a tributary of the River Ribble) is over its banks in the town centre, and gushing through like molten chocolate. It's already several feet above normal level, and has risen by possibly another foot since this morning.

No fishing today then!

Janet

It is getting really serious the water is now over the 100 year flood plain (Ie EA say once in a hundred years chance of flooding.) and we have the worst flood since 1946!

We could end up with a boat in the car park if it comes up another foot.

Edited by Gary Peacock

Gary,

I'm not too far away, do you need any help?

Lee

We seem to be OK for the moment if it doesn't come up any further we can only do with the boat what we can now it seems fairly safe but we will have to be very careful when the water starts to go down!

Anyway thanks for the offer, if it gets worse we will start firing of the flares!

Those downstream must be a lot worse off than we are.

Blimey - I grew up in Mirfield and have never seen the Calder as wide as this.

The highest I have seen it in recent years was when we moored at Fairies Hill near Castleford and the lock entering the cut was virtually underwater.

We seem to be OK for the moment if it doesn't come up any further we can only do with the boat what we can now it seems fairly safe but we will have to be very careful when the water starts to go down!

Anyway thanks for the offer, if it gets worse we will start firing of the flares!

Those downstream must be a lot worse off than we are.

I'll keep my eye on the site. Offer remains open if you need it

Lee

Unfortunatly there pointing the wrong way at the moment.

The rail way is now closed and they are evacuating people out of the houses just downstream.

Oh, that really doesn't sound fun. Good luck up there!

Gary, is that the same boat that you showed us round when we came up for the Northern banter?

Flaming heck! We had to go DOWN those steps to get on board.

You appear to have rather a large amount of water there!

Good luck.

Janet

Gary, is that the same boat that you showed us round when we came up for the Northern banter?

Flaming heck! We had to go DOWN those steps to get on board.

You appear to have rather a large amount of water there!

Good luck.

Janet

Yes same one the levels probly 6ft plus up on normal.

Yes same one the levels probly 6ft plus up on normal.

Must be about 6 or 7 years ago when a boat broke loose from outside your premises (I think before you were there), went over the weir, got jammed under a bridge and sank. Unfortunately the owner had just changed insurers and even though the new insurers had cashed his cheque they would not pay out. The £10,000 he got for the wreck just about paid for the recovery of the boat.

I notice that on Radio 4 the river Colne in Huddersfield was said to be in a dasngerous state.

I only have a vague description but at Wakefield there is no weir to be seen and the water is touching the top of the bridge. There's a rowing boat stuck against the weir boom aswel (that's probably gone now). I think the boat is the guy who has about 5 or 6 and moors against two trees just up the river from Thornes lock (Towards the weir).

Unfortunatly there pointing the wrong way at the moment.

The rail way is now closed and they are evacuating people out of the houses just downstream.

Tried to get hold of both the BW finance lot and the Yorkshire office today (both at Fearns Wharf, Leeds) but no doings as the office had been evacuated and all workers sent home or to other offices due to the flooding on the River Aire. Hope everyone up there ok and boats secure and safe. Thinking of all of you across the country who are dealing with flood conditions. Fingers crossed for everything coming through safely.

D

Just found out that the Calder has flooded my allotment. There goes all my winter crops, even if they are still there they won't be fit to eat. This has not happened in 30 years. Last time I remember was 1963 with a massive snow melt and torrental rain.

OK :) it's not boating.