Missed photo opportunity.....

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Walking round Stamp End today, I noticed there was no ice about, and it reminded me of when I took Wud out with my mate in much thicker ice than I thought. Such a pity I didn't take some photos. Some of Wud going through the ice would have been good.......and although not recommended to repeat it too often, picutres of water above the cabin floor would be a reminder.

What is your most missed photo opportunity? :lol:

a couple of years ago on the Four Counties sitting in the front well we came through a bridge and there on the towpath a very young kingfisher with a fish in its beak, not knowing quite what to do with it, needless to say my camera was at the back of the boat!! Typical :lol:

Julie

PS by the way he dropped the fish back into the canal!!

I often take my camera, but recently i did do a weekend on the boat without it on the caldon canal, and wish i had a few more photos from that.

I also really wanted to get some nice sunny autumn photos of the jcb heavy-products factory before it closes in summer but never got around to it. Anf the photos i took just before christmas are only mediocra.

Daniel

I often take my camera, but recently i did do a weekend on the boat without it on the caldon canal, and wish i had a few more photos from that.

I also really wanted to get some nice sunny autumn photos of the jcb heavy-products factory before it closes in summer but never got around to it. Anf the photos i took just before christmas are only mediocra.

Daniel

watching a friend dave blow up a four man dinghy by mouth desperate to get in the sea in cornwall. He finished and anounced proudly to Karen ive finished , being big kids at heart like us all they ran off and put it in the water by the side of the jetty ,Karen is a bit of a lady and required dave to hold the boat while she got in . However Karen must have thought the bottom was like a cruise liner and just jumped in. The boat folded round her like a clam she disapeared for a nanosecond then it spat her out 3'into the air, after which being a lady fluttered onto the jetty with her legs stuck in the air as dry as she went in i dont suppose so much a photo as a video :P:D :D :D :D :D:lol::wub:

a couple of years ago on the Four Counties sitting in the front well we came through a bridge and there on the towpath a very young kingfisher with a fish in its beak, not knowing quite what to do with it, needless to say my camera was at the back of the boat!! Typical :lol:

Julie

PS by the way he dropped the fish back into the canal!!

Came out of a lock shortly after leaving a cutting where I had been avidly scanning for kingfishers with a big lens on my SLR and lots of film. Saw nothing during the 40 mins in the cutting. As soon as I took over the steering of the boat and my partner disappeared inside for some liquid refreshment I spotting movement in a tree. Trying to avoid all the moored boats I tried to reach for my camera and focus up whilst steering with my bum. The result was very fuzzy, I was crying with frustration. Adult kingfisher with quite a large roach (for a kingfisher) in his (am pretty sure was male) beak stunning the fish on the branch of a hawthorne tree before swallowing. Stunningly beautiful and surreal moment trying to do too many things at once.

One day ... I will succeed, even if it takes days of lying in wait where I know they nest. D

watching a friend dave blow up a four man dinghy by mouth desperate to get in the sea in cornwall. He finished and anounced proudly to Karen ive finished , being big kids at heart like us all they ran off and put it in the water by the side of the jetty ,Karen is a bit of a lady and required dave to hold the boat while she got in . However Karen must have thought the bottom was like a cruise liner and just jumped in. The boat folded round her like a clam she disapeared for a nanosecond then it spat her out 3'into the air, after which being a lady fluttered onto the jetty with her legs stuck in the air as dry as she went in i dont suppose so much a photo as a video :o :o :D :D

Think I've just laid an egg..... :D:lol::D:lol::rolleyes:

Gahh, i wish i'd had a camera for that! :lol:
its ashame realy malc started this topic but by the sounds of it he wont be around for a while if ever hes been banned or something for 7 days
Think I've just laid an egg..... :D:lol::D:o:rolleyes:
we used to be that poor at home we had to have bread and pullit but if we could have had someone like you an egg cor blimey wed have been in gods pocket :D:o

We had just bought a new inflatable dinghy and were about to try it out on the shores of lake Coniston.

I disconected the foot pump and just as i was about to pick up the dinghy a sharp gust of wind took it off down the beach bouncing along the shingle.

In hot pursuit i was soon overtaken by our German Shepherd dog 'buck' Sure enough he got there first and held the dinghy firmly in his gob til the vynal finally gave way to his teeth and that was the end of that

Similar situation to Debbi,

Pottering along on hire boat (cruiser stern), became aware of bird sat on the roof at the front of the boat, few seconds to realise it was a kingfisher (concentrating on steering).

Watched it in ore for at least a minute, brain kicked in, take photo', camera in cabin, *%$*"*, have you ever tried to call the other crew in a loud whisper.

Missed the photo' but have the memory.

I wish I'd had a video camera on Tuesday night when the police helicopter complete with search light, and armed police turned up when a bonfire party on the BW long term moorings got a little out of hand when someone thumped someone. The helicopter pilot did a great bit of hovering, like he was bolted to the end of a pylon.

I've always wanted to get a really good picture of a kingfisher. This year we were sitting inside the cabin, moored up on the Shroppie in the early evening, when we realised that a handsome kingfisher was sitting on our bow rope about a foot from the T-stud. I was able to reach my camera and point it at him without him noticing - but in poor light and through the glass of the front window the camera just refused to auto-focus on him. And as I had only bought the camera a couple of months before, it took me about 10 seconds to remember how to change it to manual focus. Needless to say, after about 9 of those seconds the kingfisher got fed up with posing for me, and flew away so all I got was a nicely-focussed picture of a T-stud and rope.

BW moved me under Ivy bridge for a few months, while they drained the pound to do a few weeks work, straight opposite a kingfisher's nest.

I had the opportunity to run off reels of film while they did their stuff. Of course, all my albums of non-digital were still on usk.

Edited by carlt

We used to dream of bread and pullit. The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.... :rolleyes:

we were that poor and unlucky when i was a kid when the soup boiler broke in the factory up the road 50000gallons of cock a leeky soup came pouring down the road i ran in the house and all i could find was a fork and a colinder :D:lol: :lol: :o :o