Victron MPPT display

Featured Posts

Although there's some useful information in the Victron Connect app, I don't really like having to look at my phone and open an app every time I want to look at what the solar is doing. I know there's a plug in display you can buy for Victron MPPTs - does anyone have one and are they ok because the screen looks a bit small?

The other thing I thought about is putting an old phone on the wall next to my battery monitor with some self adhesive backed velcro and downloading the app onto it. Would that work over WiFi without a SIM card in the phone? I realise it's the same as looking at my phone but I was thinking on the old phone the app could just be left on all the time. I'd prefer a wall mounted display for some reason. I could either leave the phone plugged in and on charge all the time, or take it off the wall to charge it as required.

Would that work?

Edited by blackrose

I use an old 4g Android tablet to display the info in the van. It has the Victron and Fogstar battery apps on it and with a bit of jiggery pokery I can also connect to it remotely as well😎

The downside is because it's old the OS is Android 7 and the latest Victron Connect is only Android 8 and later I have had to use an earlier version of connect and stop it updating.

It is connected to the load output of the controller (set to be on 24hrs) through a 12v-usb adapter that I shortened and tidied up. So it's permanently powered even when I switch off the master switch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355095946664?

All because I am too tight to pay for a Cerbo GX monitoring system.

2 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

I use an old 4g Android tablet to display the info in the van. It has the Victron and Fogstar battery apps on it and with a bit of jiggery pokery I can also connect to it remotely as well😎

Does it have its own SIM card? Just wondering if I can use an old phone or perhaps a cheap tablet just over WiFi with no SIM?

40 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Although there's some useful information in the Victron Connect app, I don't really like having to look at my phone and open an app every time I want to look at what the solar is doing. I know there's a plug in display you can buy for Victron MPPTs - does anyone have one and are they ok because the screen looks a bit small?

Not sure what info you are wanting to look at but the MT50 shows solar panel voltage, output in amps, the MTTP output voltage and current - does me anyway.

05-06-16.jpg

18-2-18.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Does it have its own SIM card? Just wondering if I can use an old phone or perhaps a cheap tablet just over WiFi with no SIM?

Yes it does have a SIM slot at present there is no SIM in it and it works over WiFi. Previously I was using an EE SIM in it (it's locked to EE) but it ran out hence resorting to WiFi.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not sure what info you are wanting to look at but the MT50 shows solar panel voltage, output in amps, the MTTP output voltage and current - does me anyway.

05-06-16.jpg

18-2-18.jpg

I didn't know the MT50 works with Victron kit. That's good news if it does 😉

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

05-06-16.jpg

18-2-18.jpg

I'm talking about a Victron MPPT. They connect to other devices via Bluetooth and can't be connected to a MT50

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not on Victron, so no direct experience of the interconnection, but, was told it did.

No it doesn't as far as I know. I don't think the Victron has a RJ45 socket for the cable. Anyway I'd still like to see all the other info the Victron supports which can't be displayed by the MT50.

19 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

It is connected to the load output of the controller (set to be on 24hrs) through a 12v-usb adapter that I shortened and tidied up. So it's permanently powered even when I switch off the master switch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355095946664?

But why don't you just connect wirelessly over Bluetooth? Isn't that one of the benefits of state of the art victrons?

56 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I know there's a plug in display you can buy for Victron MPPTs - does anyone have one and are they ok because the screen looks a bit small?

For me it was a no-brainer, like yourself, having to drag your phone out of your pocket, find the app and then retrieve the information was too much of a faff, and if the phone battery died, you were stuffed.

My unit fits into a standard 50mm hole for instruments, is permantly connected and you can scroll through all the parameters with a single button (repeatable) press. The display is easy to read with a Liquid Crystal Display rather than an LCD so can be viewed in bright sunshine - when we have any! 😁

Auto off for the display and is woken up with a press of a button.

Contains all the info that I need, depends on how far you want to drill down into the app or if you want to see the info from afar

Mine is mounted in my control panel so that I can view it as I steer.  (the panel is just inside the boat under cover so I can view it when moored up and the doors are closed)

thumbnail_IMG_2732.thumb.jpg.16b6b0291650f8dfec54e3b97f3eeae5.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

My unit fits into a standard 50mm hole for instruments, is permantly connected and you can scroll through all the parameters with a single button (repeatable) press. The display is easy to read with a Liquid Crystal Display rather than an LCD so can be viewed in bright sunshine - when we have any! 

Auto off for the display and is woken up with a press of a button.

Contains all the info that I need, depends on how far you want to drill down into the app or if you want to see the info from afar

Mine is mounted in my control panel so that I can view it as I steer.  (the panel is just inside the boat under cover so I can view it when moored up and the doors are closed)

thumbnail_IMG_2732.thumb.jpg.16b6b0291650f8dfec54e3b97f3eeae5.jpg

Ok thanks. But what unit is it? That little Victron monitor? I think I'd rather have something a bit bigger so I can see it without my glasses!

Edited by blackrose

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok thanks. But what unit is it? That little Victron monitor? I think I'd rather have something a bit bigger so I can see it without my glasses!

thumbnail_IMG_2732.thumb.jpg.16b6b0291650f8dfec54e3b97f3eeae5.jpg.06c7b5c06498df3ed88688a0c80ecdef.jpg

I have an old iPad donated to me permanently plugged into a usb charger off the 12v line monitoring the system via WiFi.

Admittedly it is via a Cerbo GX although works just fine via direct Bluetooth connx as well.

Screen saver switched off and brightness at 50% means it stays permanently charged with a large screen display in the wall.

It's an older iPad and no great loss but makes a wonderful wall monitor.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rincewind said:

You need to go to Specsavers!! 😁

I've already been! 😋

24 minutes ago, NarrowboatTor said:

I have an old iPad donated to me permanently plugged into a usb charger off the 12v line monitoring the system via WiFi.

Admittedly it is via a Cerbo GX although works just fine via direct Bluetooth connx as well.

Screen saver switched off and brightness at 50% means it stays permanently charged with a large screen display in the wall.

It's an older iPad and no great loss but makes a wonderful wall monitor.

I think I'm just going to get hold of a cheap 7" android tablet and mount it on the wall. That seems like a better option than buying the Victron monitor that plugs into my MPPT or any of the other Victron monitors. It's bigger and can display trends, history, etc, on the app which those little monitors can't do.

Edited by blackrose

Exactly, I'm not quite sure why Victron charge so much for a touch screen LCD monitor, not sure just what's inside it, maybe it has extra programming power or such?

Anyone that has one lmk as I'm curious.

4 minutes ago, NarrowboatTor said:

Exactly, I'm not quite sure why Victron charge so much for a touch screen LCD monitor, not sure just what's inside it, maybe it has extra programming power or such?

Anyone that has one lmk as I'm curious.

The Touch 50 is about £200 RRP, which is about right compared to other manufacturers for a 5" IP rated, outdoor viewable touchscreen. Beetronics and Lilliput do similar non-IP rated screens which are the same price.

55 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think I'm just going to get hold of a cheap 7" android tablet and mount it on the wall. That seems like a better option than buying the Victron monitor that plugs into my MPPT or any of the other Victron monitors. It's bigger and can display trends, history, etc, on the app which those little monitors can't do.

Do you have a Cerbo? With a bit of Node Red programming, you can have a cheap Amazon Fire display almost anything. I have one on the cabin wall running a kiosk browser which I've got to look like this. All it does is view a web page served by the Cerbo, gives me info on the boat and via a slightly crude relay arrangement, also controls the diesel heater.

(yes, it's upside down, yes I've given up trying to make the forum not show it upside down!)

IMG_5901.JPG.4206ac4e62856ae4d7cf9bfd15efa9ef.JPG

12 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

The Touch 50 is about £200 RRP, which is about right compared to other manufacturers for a 5" IP rated, outdoor viewable touchscreen. Beetronics and Lilliput do similar non-IP rated screens which are the same price.

Do you have a Cerbo? With a bit of Node Red programming, you can have a cheap Amazon Fire display almost anything. I have one on the cabin wall running a kiosk browser which I've got to look like this. All it does is view a web page served by the Cerbo, gives me info on the boat and via a slightly crude relay arrangement, also controls the diesel heater.

(yes, it's upside down, yes I've given up trying to make the forum not show it upside down!)

IMG_5901.JPG.4206ac4e62856ae4d7cf9bfd15efa9ef.JPG

Great looking display, I like it 🤔

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cheesegas said:

I don't even know what a Cerbo is!

To be honest I'm just trying to keep things simple and easy. The MPPT has bluetooth and it displays everything on my phone via the app. All I'm trying to do is have that display on the wall rather than (as well as) on my phone. That should be very simple and I'd like to keep it that way, so I don't really want to get involved in any programming.

38 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Make me an offer,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305649685327?

I can even configure and set it up for free.😎

Will be up your way after Wednesday

I ordered a 10" Android tablet from Amazon a couple of hours ago. I thought I may as well go bigger as I find it difficult to see everything on that app on my 6.7" phone screen. It's also running Android 14 so hopefully it will be futureproofed for a while. If I don't like the look of it or it doesn't fit the space, or the charging cable isn't long enough, etc, I can just send it back for free and get an instant refund. 

Edited by blackrose

11 hours ago, Rincewind said:

You have a choice of models, Take your pick

https://www.victronenergy.com/display-and-panels

See my reply to Blackrose

You do need to be careful between the smart solar and blue solar devices. With smart having blue tooth built in and the blue not... 

Slightly off topic but related ... when I followed the link to victron site I ended up looking at the accessory page and their is a "wirebox" for the mppt controllers. Just the sort of thing @blackrose was lambasting vic tron for not having in another thread.  No idea of cost. 

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/mppt-wire-box-tr

Edited by jonathanA
Fat finger edits

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Don't really see what the issue is using your phone. It takes a second if that to open the app and be connected to your equipment!

Yes and I didn't understand why folks think you need a sim in the phone either...

I do like the idea of a wall mounted tablet which could be handy for anything bluetooth/ wifi enabled.

I have a VictronConnect MPPT and used the logic of I don’t want to have to use my phone to see what it is doing, so had a Victron display installed, but in reality I virtually never look at the display.  I possibly did not have it put in the best place and the display is very small and not that easy to see if your eyes are not great.  If I want to see what going on then either phone or iPad is simple and I don’t even need to get up to do it.

16 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't even know what a Cerbo is!

It's Victron's system controller - basically a little computer running a modified Linux distribution which connects to your Victron MPPTs/inverter etc (and some non-Victron kit too) to aggregate and share data amongst them. There's an active DIY modification scene on the official Victron forums too as it's quite powerful and and can be made to do a lot of interesting things.